Midder's Bok Boks

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Midders
Lively Laner

Re: Midder's Bok Boks

Post by Midders »

5 egg day today!!!!!!! A full house. Can't believe the new girls are laying already! Clever girls. Darth Bin Lorry and Newnew Batchick have been in their new home
for 3 days and seem happy. I do feel bad that they don't have as much room as the others though. Sportacus, Kev Cakes and Increcible Red get to mooch around Chicken City whilst they are penned in:( They go and stand right near the new girls in their run as if to taunt them, the cheeky things. Things are calmer already though and, although I am not thinking of any face to face contact just yet, I do feel it is already heading in the right direction. I think tomorrow afternoon, once I am
home from work, I will keep my older girls in their run and let the new girls have a potter around Chicken City til bedtime. I think they will
Love it but I am imagining Incredible Red and Kev Cakes will
be FURIOUS!!! Other chooks on their patch!!!!

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Great when they lay well isn't it Midders :-D :-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

Yep , it's fantastic, I've never had such an egg mountain in my kitchen before!

I am going to try introducing the new girls tomorrow, bit nervous, but they seem happy enough with each other thru the chicken fence divide so I think it is time to give it a go..... Eek!
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

ggod luck midders arm yourself with a comfy chair a cup of tea and a water pistol )t'

post us some pics and let us know how it goes sometimes its handbags at dawn and sometimes its hard to see the bokking that goes off sometimes it just eyeing each other up and then that's its ,hope its the latter ,intros are very educational to watch ,not easy as I say but you get to know whos who in the pecking order and the dynamics change sometimes daily but sit back and only intervene if you feel it gets a bit too much,but he sooner its sorted the better for the flock )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good luck )t' you need a lot of patience, if you havent time cus you are going to be away(my dilemma last year) get the fighting underlings to bow gently to their elders. Of course it isn't going to work with all chicken personalities
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Good luck! My last intro's only took 3 months yike* But I'm a worrier and not very brave :oops:
LYN
Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

Day 3 of Operation Introduce New Girls and all is going quite well it would seem! Day 1 saw me letting them all out into Chicken City together for 1 hr whilst I was in with them. Sportacus and Mrs Kevin Cakes did a bit of chasing of the new girls and a bit of neck pecking but just to chase them away and with no real intention of hurting them.

Day 2 , I let them out together for a bit longer and Sportacus and Kev cakes were a little more territorial than the day before. They were keeping the new girls away from both pots of food so I hung up some broccoli to keep the old girls entertained so that the new girls could feed unnoticed! The 3 older girls let themselves into the new girls run and eat all their fresh treats that are left hanging- this seems a bit unfair but I am sure the newbies will learn to gobble up the treats quickly before the big girls come and steal them.

Today was day 3 and I kept everyone in their separate runs this morning so that I could be sure the new girls had time to eat their breakfast without fear of ambush. I let them out into Chicken City a bit later on.The new girls coop is small and doesn't have a dust bath in it so I was glad to see Darth Binlorry was bold enough to go into the bigger run and sit in the dust bath of sand in there. She managed to have a nice little chill out in it before Kev cakes noticed. Mrs Cakes is very possessive over the dust bath bowl, she thinks she has dibs on it! Incredible Red, who is by far the most sweary of my chooks has been so lovely to the new ones. I have been suprised as she mouths off at everyone so much, I was sure she was going to give them a hard time but she has been really tolerant, bless her.
I would not be happy leaving the girls all cooped up in one run together just yet but, it is early days and we are definitely going in the right direction. And all the girls are still laying daily so they can't be feeling too stressed by it all either.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well that all seems quite natural )t' I did put out 11 food bowls when I mixed them at first so everyone had a chance, of course the new ones had to keep moving onto another bowl!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

Ew! Have my first rat :( have seen it this afternoon running out from under the wooden coop and scrathching around in the woodchips in Chicken City. The chicken food is all in a metal bin .So what do I do? I have to admit to being rather rodent phobic! I can't see any rat holes but it can get access from under our neighbours fence. Helpfully the cat is just sitting looking at it and the girls are ignoring it or just haven't seen it.

So, what do I do? Rat poison where the chooks and children can't get to it I am guessing. Which type should I go for?

I live in the city and know there are rats everywhere but don't want them in my garden!!!!!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am finding the holes and when the floods stop I have my steel wire and postcrete to bung up, pesky little blighters arent they!

Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

Didn't see ratty today. I only scattered corn inside the girls runs to lessen the chance of it getting a free dinner. I actually don't feel like I want to put rat poison down, don't like the idea of killing anything. I am going to be extra careful with the food so as not to leave it any scraps in the hope that it clears off. I was really surprised that the chooks weren't bothered by it as they like to see off any squirrel, magpie or cat that dares enter chicken city!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Midders I am woolly but someone on here said lots of things about ridding rats, probably in pests threads? I wont put poison down no way!

Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

I have purchased a rat trap! It's the BigCheese humane trap. If all goes to plan, my rat will go for the peanut butter, get trapped and then I can let it out a few miles from my garden. Got it on Amazon, reviews were pretty good... so I will wait and see!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Midders let us know(ME) how you get on with the Big Cheese(that was my uncle Wally's nickname {rofwl} I will be very interested

Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

Rat seems to have disappeared- that is , I haven't seen it. However I found a hole under the compost bin last week, so I think it's still out there. The Big Cheese is in position but unset as I have so much work on this week, I won't have time to drive the rat 4 miles away from our house if I do manage to catch him! My father is baby sitting and chicken sitting, despite being chicken- phobic. I think maybe asking him to deal with a live rat is maybe pushing the job description of Grandpa a little too far!

The girls are getting along fine now. New girls have settled into their position at bottom of the pecking order but they are savvy little girls and don't go without food or treats. I don't worry about them like I did with the original Batchick who didn't seem able to stick up for herself.

Sportacus, who normally lays everyday, hasn't laid an egg for 4 days now. She seems fine and she is eating and being chickeny so I don't think she is ill. I then began to wonder if Mr Rat would be able to steal and carry away her eggs? He is a medium size rat and she lays medium size eggs. There is no way ratty could get in the coop except thru the open door when the girls are out in their garden. I have seen no evidence of rat thievery, no droppings, no broken shells. Can a rat carry an egg off, I wonder? I'm also not sure my girls would stand for it!!