Midder's Bok Boks

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Midders
Lively Laner

Midder's Bok Boks

Post by Midders »

I am brand new to this chicken keeping malarkey. My husband bought me a chicken coop for my birthday, we built it, I read endless books in a mild panic as I realised I knew nothing about chicken keeping, I just knew I wanted some chickens in our back garden!

I have had my girls for 3 weeks now. I adore them! I have a marigold called Mrs Kevin Cakes; An Amber called Sportacus; A little red ranger by the name of Incredible Red and a chestnut ranger called Batchick. I should point out that they were named by my 3 year old son who is rather keen on Super heros!

The chickens don't seem to mind my children, my rather enthusiastic children. I limit the time the kids spend with them so as not to stress them and I am always there to supervise. the kids love feeding them and talk to them , it is delightful, just what I hoped for.The girls are 18 weeks old now and 2 of them are getting really tame, the rangers are a bit more stand of fish but they are getting more used to me by the day- especially when I manage to get out without the kids in tow.

Yesterday we had our first egg! It was a momentous occasion. A beautiful little white egg sitting in the nesting box that I only really opened to clear poop from. I think it was Sportacus that laid it. We poached it and my husband , I and the kids shared it for breakfast this morning. When I opened the nesting box today, there was egg number 2. Same small, perfectly formed little egg as yesterday. We are on a roll!

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Midder's Bok Boks

Post by kitla »

Sounds like your chooks are already a part of your family!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I love to read these diarys you can pick up the joy and excitment in the posts :-D

Your girls sound lovely and before long you will be getting a smashing tasty egg each for breakfast {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Linda S wrote:I love to read these diarys you can pick up the joy and excitment in the posts :-D

Yes, indeed. It's wonderful when you start on something completely new and you have that being-in-love phase.

I think even after a thousand eggs, I will still be excited. That first one is marvellous, but so is your first child, and you don't love the others any the less if you have more than one (no, the eggs are not 'my children', I'm not quite ready to turn into the crazy chicken lady!). But every egg is still a cause for wonderment. And they really do taste different, I'm guessing that's because they are really fresh.
Life's too short to quarrel
Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

So we had egg number 5 today. It was bigger than the other 4 but the same colour so I am guessing it is from the same chook. It was on the coop floor not in the nesting box and it had a little streak of blood on it. I wondered if laying this bigger egg had surprised the poor girl making her move and drop the egg on the floor!
I thought nothing of the blood as it seemed to make sense that a bigger egg would take a bit more effort to lay but then this evening when I looked out the window I saw a bloody lump of what looked like intestines on my patio. I had no idea what it could be so I grabbed my phone so as to take a picture to post on this forum. I didn't get there quickly enough as the girls ate it in no time. I was in a proper panic, as I knew what I had seen didn't look too healthy! I also didn't know exactly which chicken had started laying. They were all mooching around my garden happily enough though. I posted my concern on the site pronto and got some replies quickly telling me it was probably lashes. I had never heard of them, despite reading 2 books on chicken keeping cover to cover before getting my girls! Anyway, I am not panicking now there is an explanation for what I saw! I only wish the girls hasn't eaten it! Partly because I would like to have had a closer look from an educational point of view, and partly because it looked yucky and they looked like little vampires gobbling it up!

I have had a check of their vents and Mrs Cakes had a couple of spots of blood on her bottom feathers but no prolapse. I thought it was Sportacus laying the eggs not Mrs Cakes, Cheeky Sportacus, taking all the praise!Unless of course they have both been laying the same colour eggs?
I am gonna keep a close eye on Mrs Cakes just to be sure she is ok, bless her little egg laying socks!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Poor Mrs Cakes, it sounds like the bigger egg has made her eyes water! I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of your other chooks who's laid the lash. One of my old girls laid a few, they do give you a right shock when you find them.

They do eat some really disgusting things. Best not to think of it really!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Welcome to chickenitus )wav( I would love to know where the name Mrs Kevin Cakes comes from? It is weird some of the eggs they lay isn't it. Looking forward to seeing what these gorgeous girls look like
)piicy(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

Can someone talk me through how to post pictures, please?

I have ordered some chicken fencing from Omlet today as the girls have become a little too good at gardening! I am going to fence off half the garden around their coop so that they have their own patch to do with as they please! I hope it is a easy to assemble as the advert suggests. I am wishing I had a run that I can stand up in , especially now it's rainy whilst I poop pick on my knees- something to aspire to, eh!

No egg from Mrs cakes again today- I think the bigger egg number 5 the other day has put her off laying altogether. She tolerated a little cuddle today which was very nice! And there have been no more strange objects being laid, so that's good. I hope she gets back on track soon and then she can show the other 3 girls how to lay!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Midder

Richard has done some instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46297

You will need to open up a photobucket account first as you don't actually post the pics on here - you post them onto photobucket and then post the link to it on here. Richard's video explains it.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

I am very pleased to report that Mrs Cakes is back in the egg laying frame of mind! She laid yesterday and today and these larger eggs seem to be causing her no more bother! She is clearly top of the class as the other 3 still aren't in the mood for laying. It is rather exciting having a peep into the box everyday to see if they have though.

Now to get onto photo box and get some pics sorted for you all to see!
Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

If I've done this correctly, then this should be a photo of my delightful Marigold, Mrs Kevin Cakes.
Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

Yes, I did it correctly. That is indeed Mrs Kev Cakes with Sportacus (amber) and Incredible Red ( ranger) lurking behind.
Midders
Lively Laner

Post by Midders »

SWAN LAKE...kind of
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

That is a very cute and timeless photo of your children and chooks. Lovely.

I have never seen a marigold hen before. Mrs Kevin Cakes is rather gorgeous.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mrs K Cakes is rather stunning, and I'm so glad she's got into the swing of things okay now with her laying.

Gorgeous pics of the girls and kids!

But you really must explain your chicken's names, especially Mrs Kevin Cakes'
Karen