Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Bumblefoot . The only way to fix I think from past experience is to remove and then keep clean . Depending on the time it is caught an operation fix`s it .
I think the vet did a good job . Blood is not a bad thing as cleans it out and gives it the healing touch .
Hope it all goes well.
Bob
Good on Wiggy for getting her treats.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh my goodness, what a saga! Poor things all of you especially of course Wiggy who sounds a positive saint under all this trauma. Dory Grey would not have been so stoic!

The gel sounds interesting - what's it called? Might see if I can find some to put on Dory's foot, in case her bumble is still active.

Of course chicken foot wrapping is a transferable skill! You could transfer it to Dory Grey...
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

KarenE wrote:The gel sounds interesting - what's it called? Might see if I can find some to put on Dory's foot, in case her bumble is still active.

Of course chicken foot wrapping is a transferable skill! You could transfer it to Dory Grey...

Thanks - good to know I can find gainful employment!

The vet gave me a specimen pot with some gel in - the sticker he put on the tube says Antirobe/Intrasite gel, but I can't find it online. I can only find the Intrasite gel and then Antirobe drops/powders/tablets so I do wonder if the vet mixed it together.

I think it looked a bit better when I re-wrapped it yesterday >fi< >fi<
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

yike* yike* yike* Poor Wiggleswoosworth and poor you two! Thank goodness she got through it ok and your daughter, only just. Bless she is an old girl now but truly stoic )t' , i expect her mystical woo magic saw her though.
Now keep us updated, its been too long {warn}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh no, not the waggy finger!

Well, I have changed the dressing for the third time and it seems about the same as three days ago. Deflated, but still with a dark scab. So we shall see - at least the infection is gone. And she is fighting fit in every other way )like(
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

So we're all watching closely for good results with the "magic gel". If it works you'll need the recipe from your vet to pass around the chicken-mad community.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's even worse HP, it's the SandyWaggyFinger!! yike*

Yes waiting with bated breath to hear the results of the magic gel. Can you get it scientifically analysed for us? :-D How is Wiggy today?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Hmmm, well she is well in herself and very much typical, loveable Wiggy (as opposed to Wiggy Warrior Princess), although her warrior self does pop up occasionally - she has taken to fighting like a demon to stop me bandaging. I have won every time so far though!

However... I am wondering how well the foot is healing. The bumble seems pretty flat now, all deflated, but it has been AGES and the black scab is still there. I worry that, in all the kerfuffle, the vet didn't remove all the bumble and it hasn't completely gone. I am keeping an eye on things and all fingers firmly >fi< but fear I may have to go back
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hope it goes and all gets better.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

HP went to a local country park weekend where one bluebelle was limping badly so i pulled over a keeper and pointed it out. She said she had had bubblefoot but was fine now >coc< said did you mean bumblefoot? oh no she said it was def bubble foot >coc< >coc<
Love to my god hen, are you going to Karens?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How is Wiggy doing now HP? Dory's bumble was the same, deflated but still with the black scab, but which did get smaller, and Casper's was the same too when she had them. Remember my vet won't operate, and at the moment will only reluctantly prescribe abs - they recommended hibiscrub baths which to be honest did a great job with Dory. I'm wondering whether Dory's is flaring up again though, so I'll be keeping an eye on her.
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

here goes the Pink mummy again {warn}
no news for AGES on my god hen

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh no, I'm in waggy fingered trouble again!

It's all go here - today my eldest moved out and I am apparently Mum Removals! Just time to check in Down the Lane because Dad Removals have taken over this evening {rofwl} .

But anyhow, a day full of mixed feelings and nostalgia.

Well, Sandy, your Godhen is full of beans and has been laying at least a couple of times a week and enjoying lots of dust bathing on the sunny days. Her foot was looking a tiny bit better, last time I looked >fi< , but not actually fixed, which is disappointing - but... um...

So here's the deal: I mucked it up.

The scab seemed a bit loose about a week ago, and when I touched it, it seemed to be coming off. So I pushed at it gently and it almost came away, but still attached on one side. So I pushed a little more and it came right off and... blood everywhere. If only I had left it alone, the scab would probably have dropped off nicely by itself in a few days and I wouldn't still be bandaging her foot and making her very annoyed.

On the plus side, I can now successfully wrap her foot with her wedged under my arm, because she is no longer having any truck at all with being made to lie down for bandaging. As soon as she thinks that's what I'm about to do , she goes right off on one. But she is perfectly happy to be bandaged whilst upright. So that is what we now do - because I am but her humble servant.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

must be strange without your eldest but it seems the Wigs is keeping your hands full, literally {rofwl} i am sure you could get a job as a vet nurse with your newly acquired skills?
Can we see a photo of the old girl, sure she has the biggest wig out of all the Woos?
What a milestone for her though, she and LL's Scary are still about, two original henpals :-D

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I can't remember how to post photos now photobucket has gone! I'll have a go when I have a minute but don't hold your breath.

Good grief, have just realised Wiggy is 6-and-a-half. We got her just over six years ago. And she is still laying very regularly. That would be all those many, many months that she didn't bother when she was younger then...