The Henpals Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

The Henpals Diary

Post by sandy »

Hello )wav(
I am starting my OWN diary tonight because my mum says I keep hijacking hers +f+ I am called Gwen(obviously) but answer to Gwennie and 007, as I am number 7 in the sisterhood. I will not bother to tell you about my siblings as my mum chats about them in her diary. I will start off tonight with some gorgeous photos of myself(yes they are me, I am not cheating by using photos from chicken mags)

We started the day off with a treat. This is very unusual, its alway tasty(ha) pellets for breakfast, I had an inkling something was coming via take away as mum was slipping and sliding over the bridge with a big bowl in her arms. Wow it was cooked potatoes on their skins. Mum just does not put our food down quick enough so we have to jump up to encourage her. I don't think she is a morning person because she is always muttering, usually get out of the way,how can I walk when you are attached to my leg,if I slip over one of you will be history etc etc. When she finally made the effort to put the potatoes in one of our bowls we all grabbed one, even the newbies had their heads in the bowl. Manners honestly, as big girls Iris and Olive failed to remind the new girls of them, I took it upon myself to give Martha-Joans a peck on the head. To my annoyance mum shouted at me but I feel I was in the right, after all only three months ago I was bottom hen and I had to wait for everyone to be served! Aha mum shot off to work so she had no idea what authority I continued to exert until 4.00pm when she deigned to come and see us. There was a fresh stock of feathers as Beryl is dropping them off faster than I can peck them of of Beth's back(sssh) and lots of poo and puddles. For some reason mum put cider vinegar, the non alcoholic one, in the puddles, cleaned out my bedroom and poo picked everywhere, I mean come on it was getting dusk! We need something nice before we go to bed, and preferably when we can actually see what we are eating. Finally we got a few mealworms and a tiny bit of corn as we had already stuffed our faces this morning. I am trying to get into the bedroom area but pyscho Olive has taken it over, really dont fancy being pecked in my sleep, she is very ocd about pecking, so I now hunker in the corner with my phone…see
Well Gabby I do hope you are reading this? I understand you have told Nugget and Toffee of our clandestine messages? I am not sure if I will tell my sisters yet, maybe Georgina, but then she is such a posh bird(haha you will always be an ex batty George) she probably wants her beauty sleep. It would be great Gabby if we could chat to some other girls too? Mum has promised to let us keep this diary to ourselves and as long as we are good and don't upset the human moderators we can post what we like )t'
I must tuck my phone under my wing now, or Rubes will surely poo on it, and get some sleep..
Nitey nite, dont let those red mite bite
Gwen Xena xxxxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: My Diary…Gwen (the hen)

Post by sandy »

Hello )wav(
Brrr what a cold night it was, mum didn't close our bedroom door probably because Beryl was hanging over the edge. She is supposed to be more cleverer than me, she has lost so many feathers so why didn't she get a better place! It was nice and sunny this morning, I enjoyed being carried around in mum's arm, the sun on my face. I fought the urge to struggle as I could see Beth and Martha-Joans sniggering. I just cannot understand why I cannot tidy up Beth's feathers +f+
I instructed mum to take some photos of me for my diary…
Yippee we had visitors again so we got yorkshire puds, and here I am
I had an active day today, I was here there and everywhere

This is me with sister Georgina
and Georgie posing
Here I am contemplating

I am on mums bench

George is 006 so she eats before me
Georgie and I are impressed we now have more feathers than Beryl

And me…me me
I know mum too photos of the rest of the family, but I cant understand why anyone wants to look at any pictures other than me when it's my diary? I had a good day, only got a few pecks from Ruby and Beryl, a bit of a nasty one from Deirdre( i call her the old lady). At 3.30 we wondered why the neighbours had stopped stropping up and down like caged tigers
as mum didn't share our puds with them today. Too right they had a trough full of chips, no point hoping I know mum will never let me have them! A big dog fox walked past so we all stood very still for a few minutes while mum went out to investigate. I'm getting toes ache now as I am in the middle of Ruby and Georgie and am trying to type this under cover..so I will sign off today
lots of boks
Gwen xxxxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Dear Gwen X Hen

Well, fancy us all getting permission to post on your official diary! Nugget is well pleased, she says she never could remember her ChickenFacebok password and will now be able to mobilize support for her new chicken revolution movement via dtl.

(Don't worry, she won't though - she's all bok and no peck, if you know what I mean)

Love the glamour shots of you. Did you get them professionally done? The lighting looks great and the natural reportage style suits you all down to the ground - it captures that casual 'chicken-about-town' look so well!

Mum keeps trying to take some of me but I think if you want to look your best then you have to have the professionals in. I know she can't light me properly and doesn't even know which is my best side! I mean, she's even been taking shots of poor Nugget in her distressed defeathered state - what kind of look is that for any girl? Don't they know these pics stick around on the internet for ever??

Yorkshire puds look scrummy! I don't know what chips are, but I like the look of your sunday dinner a LOT! We got raisins today, which Toffee has decided she doesn't like. And we had a teeny weeny bit of biscuit too which was incredibly naughty (and will go straight to my hips!)! Toffee seemed to like that alright though... Yesterday we had grapes, and then mash. Still no maggots though, so Nugget and i have both given up pretending to be ill. Definitely tell Ruby it doesn't work.

Are Beth's feathers tasty? I accidentally ate one of Nugget's once (they are everywhere, she has been moulting FOR-EVER!!!) but it tasted quite yakky really. Do Beth's feathers taste of corn and maggots?

Have to go - Dad has just woken up and will want his ipad thingy back. Plus the batteries in my torch are running out.

Nite nite, don't let the Toffee bite!

Your devoted fan

Gabby
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hi Gabby )wav(
Oh my goodness, Nugget wants a revolution yike* I wish we had had her when we were in our last home. It would have been wonderful not to have spent my first 18 months 'inside' {cry} But I do think we need our own committee, well okay I didn't think that, until Beryl mentioned it I had never heard of the word. Beryl(mum's brown noser) caught me on the lane last night. At first her beak was right out of joint that a little upstart was permitted to use the phone(its my phone)……
sssh more later have to go for a mo

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Sorry about that, Olive started sleep pecking! I have some gossip, Gabby did you know your mum has grown,picked and frozen delicious sweetcorn, you didn't? I think you need to get Nugget to hatch a plan. You will probably need to flex up your muscles and where better to do that than Chicken Drumstick's gym. Now I know you lot and my lot cannot possibly hope to travel there, I don't think they take pellets as payment on public transport, but we need to find a way to get our mums to take a look at the photos to give them ideas.
Oh Gabby of course they are my photos +f+ Mum took about 50 photos as she has trouble getting the right light, she is pretty useless with apparatus(as long as she can open a mealworm tub)I know I must be pretty because mum always tells me so! I have never had raisins, what are they? I had a bit of biccie once when I was very poorly and I had to have my yucky medicine. We had a miserable day today, it drizzled all day and we are not allowed in our garden part. This really upsets Martha-Joans, she is always trying to go through the shut door(donut) honestly it isn't as if she hasn't anywhere else to go!
I think now Beryl knows about my diary she may try and take my phone away, she is 004 though she is a bit under the weather at the moment, her head looks like your Nuggets
{rofwl} but no way am I going to call her pinhead, she already gives me plenty of pecks, talking of that Deirdre was a right stroppy middle aged lady today. She pecked everyone except Iris, hormones I reckon, she is dropping her feathers all over the place. I have been thinking too Gabby, does Nugget get as many treats as you when she isn't laying? I am making eggs for mummy to sell, so I am paying my way, but I still have to share treats with the moulters who are not paying their way, hmmm
I must got to sleep now, big day tomorrow..layers pellets, dustbathing,preening,tripping up mum,laying and chasing Beth!
Nite nite
Gwen xxxxx

Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Wow Gwen !

What a lovely home you have )t'

What type of Chicken are you an x bat ? ...sorry i am New to Chicken keeping and you look like the ones i have ( gorgeous :-D )

How many sisters have you got and what type {hug}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Ooh a human? Please dont tell Gabby's mum about the sweetcorn will you +f+ Yes I am an ex batty, have a look at Sandy's Pink Ladies around March 23rd when my mummy adopted me. We are all rangers/isa warrens except for Iris who is a black tipped Siston gold line. Me,Ruby and Georgina are ex bats(though Georgie dosent like people to know since becoming a posh bird,Janet,Martha-Joans,Elsa and Beth are ex free rangers adopted via BHWT but they had less feathers than me Georgie and Rubes. Deirdre came from one neighbour,Olive and Beryl another neighbour and Iris from a free range poultry farm. Hey you dont have any 'girls' who you could let borrow any apparatus so they can join me and Gabby's chatroom do you?

Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Hi Gwen :-D

Mums the word on the sweetcorn sile}

You are a lovely looking young lady seeing as the life you have had in your battery days ,your mum must be doing a great job bringing you back to health .

I will have a look at "Sandy's Pink Ladies" post , what is yours and Gabby,s chat room , i,m a man and thick at time ..lol.

My 2 ex bats ( on the left ) wanted to know if there comb would look as good as yours some day , they now have more feathers and they tell me they feel much better :-D

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Dear Gwen X Hen,

Sweetcorn? SWEETCORN????

We are not happy. {mr.angry}

FROZEN you say? What a liberty. Don't these humans realise that treats are for US, not them??

Nugget is especially not happy. I did debate whether to break the shocking news to her, what with her being so stroppy lately, but she seemed to have chilled now that she's less Pinheady so I figured it was worth it. Plus I couldn't stop bokking with the shock of it. Poor Nugget went to pieces completely, and hustled off to the veg patch with Toffee in tow to check for herself. She is in such a strop she said she wouldn't sit on mum's lap again til they were defrosted (the sweetcorn, not mum's legs) but mum has been away all week and she missed her so she couldn't resist having a sneaky five minutes today when she thought no-one was looking. She's never going to get a chicken revolution off the ground if she can't stand firm to her principles!

And mum apologised by giving us RICE today, which Nugget said were baby maggots (she had maggots when our granmammys Rexie and Weeps were still here) so everything is alright again now. I even had a little sit on mum's knee when Nugget wasn't looking.

Gwen X, about the eggs - you are very good to be such a regular layer. I have to admit, me and Nugget aren't paying our way at the moment. Luckily though Toffee's eggs are nearly as MASSIVE as she is so we figure one of hers is the equivalent of 3. I do pop them out occasionally, although it's getting a bit cold and dark now so i might have a rest for a while, specially as some have been very squishy lately. I think Nugget might start again when she's finished her moult, she says its her chicken duty. We all get the same treats even so - I wouldn't dare get in the way of Nugget and Toffee and treats! I am Official Bottom Hen so it's my job to eat as much as i can before they squeeze me out of the way.

Is Beryl going to post on your diary too then? How exciting - more henpals! Will there be more girls joining in from other dtl flocks do you think?

Dear Mr Drumstick, you are IN the chatroom - this is Gwen Xena Hen's diary and this is where we chat and share chickeny stories and (according to Nugget) will be setting up our Committee (Nugget loves that word) to start our chicken revolution. I think we shall start with an Escape Committee, so we can help the sweetcorn escape from mum's freezer.

What a liberty - freezing OUR SWEETCORN!!

Ever your devoted fan

Gabby
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Dear Gwen,
Do you realise the meaning of that human's name?
I'm not sure you should be talking to him.

There are 6 of your friends in my garden - I go out and watch them when my human goes to see them. 3 Black Rocks, a White Star, a Bluebell & a Speckledy. I got locked in with them once. Surely humans know that a cat will go through any door that's open.

Love,
Pat
(you can see a picture that looks like me up in the corner of my letter, like a stamp
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Gwen you dont know me but my name is Spike and me and my brother Bruce are two very handsome tom cats who look after our girls and keep other flreabag ruffians away.

Our girl Blondie asked me to say hello to you and your crew, she cant get to the house for the dogs and Bruce spilled the beans about how outstandingly great I am with techi stuff.
Mum and dad have only got crappy old phones so she cant even get her beak on any good portable appliance either, but im fine relaying messages to you 007 Gwen Hen )t'

Mum thinks I just play about on the pc and thinks im incredibly gorgeous and clever which I must say I agree with that, but its part of my act and when mum nips out I giggle allsorts of interesting stuff.
When she gets a flippin memory card you will see a pic of me and I think you'll like what you see, I certainly think you are a very beautiful young lady +f+

Anyway Iwill have to sign off now mums out of the shower, so i'll just pretend I don't know what im doing .ang.
Then she will squidge me and say Spikey Diddles have you been reading dtl again come on now put your pretend thumbs away.

Oh if only she knew just how clever we all are )w(

Yours in adoration Spike xxxxxxxxxx oh yeah and Brucexx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hello, this is Gwen x's big sister(004) but you can call me Beryl. I am a little concerned with the correspondence my little sister has been receiving. Spike and Bruce you need to be hooking up with Mo's black cat on a 'Small Cat Diary' forum as opposed to 'The big Cat Diary' one as I don't think you would have a lot in common with them. As Mo has pointed out(and you ain't no chicken either I suspect) I was quite alarmed to see Gwen has a posting from someone called Chicken Drumstick yike* I understand if you wish to check out Gwen's diary to see if it is suitable for your ladies, of which yet we have not been introduced. I will answer your question on Gwen's behave, yes their combs will grow and unlike my dumpy sister they will be sleek athletic sweeties with that wonderful gym you have built them. I see you have roped them in with the construction, we were wondering which one has mastered the power drill beneath their feet? As they are allowed to master such an apparatus I hope you will be giving them a phone/Ipad whatever so they will be able to communicate with my sister.
Hello Gabby )wav( I am the pinhead one of the family at the moment }hairout{ my feathers are falling out very quickly though not as bad as Ruby but she still has her head feathers! I have to tell you Gabby there is no way someone so flaky as Nugget sounds going to rescue that sweetcorn for you. I am considering telling Iris and Deirdre about our committee as I know they have both seen a documentary on how to escape called Chicken Run. I asked them why they had never put the plan into action along with Elsie and Betty but the then top girl Elsie had pointed out mum was no Mrs Tweedy. I am going to let Gwen finish off with some photos(of herself yawn) as I feel a lot like my mummy at the moment, we both have the dreaded lurgy. BUT I will be checking out correspondence on here with Gwen in the future..
Well if I can get a word in….This is Iris and myself on a bin(pink of course)
This is dear sweet Beth {hug}

Posh bird Georgina with a toy mum bought 4 years ago and we totally ignore
And Pycho Olive pecking me

Its so late now I cannot say my piece(thanks Beryl)
nitey nite
Gwen X
xxxxx >ch<

Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Hello Gwen :-D

Thanks for the heads up on the combs on my ladies , they will look forward to them coloring up )t'

Great pics and diary keep posting )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hi Beryl,
I didn't know this was only for hens, I thought it was for non-humans. I am the only one alowed near the keyboard in this house - I don't think the others would do it any good at all with their mucky feet. How do you manage about laying clean eggs in this weather - have you any tips I can pass on to them? My paws are always clean when I'm on the computer, Mo always leaves lots of paper around for me to wipe them on (don't know why she fusses, it looks much improved after I've decorated it.

I am rather offended that you've mistaken me for Mo, though. When my picture is on the letter.

huffily,
Pat
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Hello Gwen and co, this is Wiggy.

I am in a bit of a flap. No reason... I am always in a bit of a flap. Like Gabby, I have also decided that cold weather and laying eggs do not mix, so I am on strike.

Anyway, our Ginger was named after Ginger in that film Chicken Run because she is the sensible one and the brains of the outfit (Mum says I remind her of Babs, the big dim one with the knitting, which seems a bit harsh).

Ginger says if you need help liberating corn or anything else that takes more than average chicken brains, she will always be happy to give you some advice. She says she won't charge much... Say 30% of your daily treat ration?

Ginge says you are all very beautiful and look like proper chickens should do. I think she means ginger-coloured. Then she looked me up and down a bit pointedly. Still at least I can type. She thinks she's so clever but she can only dictate.

Lots of love Wiggy Woo xxx
ps my little owner, the girl (who is quite big really) says all the pink is really fantastic and she now wants a pink bin.