Library Chick's Chicks

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Library Chick's Chicks

Post by Librarychick »

Hello
Have just become a chicken keeper for the first time. >ch< >ch< I have two hybrids called Bluebell & Ginger. We picked them out last week after many years of thinking about it, a few months of planning and a several weeks building the coop and run. This is going to be a learning journey with a steep hill start. I've been reading and been inspired by others' diaries. I thought it would be fun to make a personal record of this journey.

Librarychick, Bluebell and Ginger +f+
Librarychick, Bluebell & Ginger

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Library Chick's Chicks

Post by Linda S »

Hi there and wellcome to the lane its a great place to pick up ideas and get help and advice when you need it :-D .

Im looking forward to hearing about your girls these diarys are great in fact I need to update mine )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hello Librarychick,Bluebelle and Ginger )wav(
A new diary is going to be lovely )like( especially as so many diaries seemed to have stalled. Look forward to reading your trials, tribulations and complete enjoyment of your journey
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Librarychick
Lively Laner

August 2014 Library Chick's Chicks

Post by Librarychick »

17th August 2014
On Sunday we collected our chickens. There were many to choose from. I had rather fancied a Speckeldy and the hen lady thrust one into my arms. It was quite a handful. Dear Husband (DH) and Darling Daughter (DD) were not too keen. Not a Speckeldy then. DH and DD wanted me to choose because they were to be my chickens/pets. Decisions decisions – they were all lovely – too many to choose from. In the end I picked out a Bluebell and a Brown. Hen lady kindly gave us some layers pellets too. I asked how old the chickens were – she said 25 weeks. The brown one looks a bit younger. >ch< >ch<

On the way home we decided to call them Bluebell and Ginger.

They seemed to like their run and coop immediately and clever little hens even put themselves to bed on the first night. Door Shut.

18th August 2014
Day 2. Ginger likes to sit of the roof of the coop. They don’t like carrot peel. They love corn. Still to catch Bluebell.

20th August 2014
Bluebell was first out of the box this morning. All quiet in the chicken run.

21st August 2014
They seem to be a bit fussy.

23rd August 2014
It’s Saturday. Thorough cleaning of the run this morning and getting everything organized to make it easy. Lucky to have Countrywide store local to us.

24th August 2014
Joined “Down the Lane” – and created my first diary entry. “Library Chick’s Chicks”. I have been reading this website and forum for while. It’s brilliant.

Amazed to have quick, encouraging and very friendly response from Laners Linda and Sandy. THANK YOU.

25th August 2014
Bank Holiday Monday and the weather is atrocious. Heavy rain all day – typical Bank Hol weather. Lucky we have a roof on the run but even so the rain is blowing in, I hope they will be ok. Ginger and Bluebell are amusing themselves by pecking the drops of water off the wire mesh. Precision pecking.

26th August 2014
They both like to sit on top of the coop. I think we need to get a cover on the roof otherwise it will be quite difficult to clean. They seem to love tuna – gave them a little bit left over from the can.

30th August 2014
Just standing admiring my chickens this evening with a glass of wine in hand. Think I saw a quick flash of brown/white behind the chicken run. Ratty? Already? Rat! This is one of the reasons I have put off having chickens for so long. HATE RATS BIG TIME.

31st August 2014
Busy week in the Library. My diary is a bit behind. I have done another thorough scrape and clean today and washed the coop down. Have added lots of wood chippings to the floor of the run. Bluebell and Ginger love it.

That' all I have time for for now.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Library Chick and welcome to the Diaries section! I'm really looking forward to getting to know your virtual flock

I love the way you've colour-coded your girls )t'

They seem to be a bit fussy.

This can officially go down in history as the understatement of the year {rofwl}

Do you know what your Brown is - a ranger?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Re: Library Chick's Chicks Week 3

Post by Librarychick »

Week 3 has been an exciting week. Bluebell laid her first egg on Tuesday 2nd September and she has laid an egg a day every day since. That’s my very first half dozen eggs. )app(

We each had a fried egg on toast )c+ on Thursday which was a great way to celebrate the last day of the school holidays. The eggs are a lovely creamy brown colour. Quite small but absolutely delicious. The fourth egg was surprisingly very big. I wonder if it is usual to have such a difference in size from the same hen and why?

We were up in London this week, which meant we had to leave the chickens overnight for the first time. Luckily we have someone who can pop round to check up on them. All well. I couldn’t resist celebrating the arrival of the first egg with the purchase of a yellow ceramic egg tray from Anthropologie. I will try to post a photo.

Ginger has still to lay an egg but I think she is much younger than Bluebell. Thanks for your message KarenE
Do you know what your Brown is - a ranger?
I am not sure what type she is – just a little brown hen - maybe a Goldline?

Bluebell has been the lead hen of the pair from Day One but she doesn’t seem to be mean like some I have read about in other diaries. She did however peck my ankles a couple of times but I think this was mainly due to a healing scar on one ankle which attracted her. One day when I went to open the pop door Ginger was waiting just inside the coop and Bluebell towards the back. Ginger hesitated for a second before “gingerly” starting to make her way down the ladder. All of a sudden Bluebell barged her out of the way. She always has to be the first out.

I tried feeding them corn on the cob that I had cooked in the microwave but they only pecked at it a couple of times and didn’t eat it. I had a cob left over so the next day I cooked it and took the corn off the cob and they hoovered it up. The vines on the pergola are heavy with bunches of grapes and I threw them a few black grapes. They were very comical each running away in opposite directions with a grape in the beak. Tried a couple of worms that were dug up in the garden and they took a look but steered well clear. I give them a handful of corn in the early evening but mostly they just have the layers pellets.

Friday 5th September. Thorough clean down of the coop today. They do love scratching around in the wood chippings but have the habit of covering their water feeder and clogging it up. I think maybe we should try hanging it up. I managed to get an old dog bowl from Oxfam last week which is perfect for the grit – too heavy for them to knock over.

Saturday 6th September. Beautiful weather this weekend and we spent a lot of time in the garden. Bluebell and Ginger enjoying dust bathing in their run. >ch< >ch<

Sunday 8th September. Went out to feed them at about 8am – no eggs but by 10am Bluebell had laid her egg – so far they have all been laid in the nest box.

Back to the Library tomorrow after almost a week off.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

You sound like you're really enjoying your chooks. Can we have a photo?
I hope the rat hasn't returned! Make sure you take the food in at night.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Yes please - we want photos, we want photos!
No pressure!
Hope you are enjoying them. >ch< >ch<
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Post by Librarychick »

kitla wrote:You sound like you're really enjoying your chooks. Can we have a photo?
I hope the rat hasn't returned! Make sure you take the food in at night.

Thanks for reading Kitla. Yes really enjoying them - they are supposed to be an "interest" outside of work which tends to become a bit over consuming. )piicy( - Promise I will but I have a new computer and I will wait as I need to install Picassa. SOON )wav(

No more sign of RR. And I am doubting now that it was a rat - a bit too orangy and white. Hopper taken in every night and as I have only two chickens, mostly fresh pellets every day anyway.

Librarychick, Bluebell and Ginger +f+ >ch<
Last edited by Librarychick on 11 Sep 2014, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Post by Librarychick »

HenPen wrote:Yes please - we want photos, we want photos!
No pressure!
Hope you are enjoying them. >ch< >ch<

Soon HenPen - I promise - when I get my new laptop.
Librarychick
Lively Laner

Re: Library Chick's Chicks - Bluebell's Big Egg

Post by Librarychick »

I will try to post a weekly update in my diary at the weekend. But in the meantime ... Today Bluebell laid another huge egg - bigger than the last biggie (egg number 4). She has laid every day since Day 1 and that is 10 eggs so far. Amazing!

Librarychick, Bluebell and Ginger +f+ >ch<
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am so looking forward to your pics, no pressure {rofwl} I don't know any hens that like carrots and I don't know why? Isn't the first egg great, hope you took a photo. So nice to hear they are getting on well together, does Ginger have any black feathers in her tail?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Librarychick
Lively Laner

Post by Librarychick »

4th Oct 2014
Well where does time go? So much for my weekly diary entry but, to be fair, it is a busy time in the library - start of academic term. I've had an egg a day from my lovely Bluebell and after a bit of an anxious wait Ginger laid her first egg on 23rd Sept. )app(
Both girls have delivered a daily egg since then and we have been enjoying a family weekend breakfast of bacon and eggs (just eggs on toast for the DD teen that does not eat meat). Bluebell lays the most beautiful creamy light brown eggs but I was a little bemused by the wide variations in egg size - from Bluebell's very small at the start to 3 ginormous ones in between. Thanks to Lancashire Lass (LL) who explained that sometimes the egg laying takes a while to settle down and that the biggies might be double (or even treble yolkers) She was right - doubles they were and according to DH very delicious. )c+

Now that Ginger is laying she has begun to be quite bold and is sometimes the first out of the coop in the morning. While Bluebell lays first thing in the morning - just after her breakfast and sometimes a bit before, Ginger waits until later in the day - and she certainly waits until I am not around - this morning she was obviously desperate to lay and went into the nest box as I was doing the weekly thorough clean - but no egg - she was in and out until I stopped fiddling around and then, when she had some peace, laid a beauty - big brown egg. They are both blooming into lovely plump hens.

We have a lot of grape vines in the garden and it has been fun to give them grapes as a treat in the late afternoon. They are mad for them.

Ginger is a bouncy hen. I have seen her bounce right up from standing several times. Very amusing.

This week I have hung up the pellet feeder so that both the food and the water are now raised from the ground. With the wood chips on the floor of the run, they kept clogging both up - it is a bit better now.

After such wonderful weather in September, this morning was very wet - my first taste of chicken coop and run cleaning in the heavy rain. It was fine but I am always finding new ways of organising things so as to make it all easier - especially with the very bad weather in mind. Now that the mornings and evenings are darker, it does make it more difficult - I am perfecting my routine.

Meanwhile, I have been so busy at work and with the hens, I have not had time to get my new laptop running - so no photos yet - sorry. )piicy( Soon - I promise.

That's all for now - Love from Librarychick, Ginger & Bluebell >ch< +f+
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Glad to hear your girls are egging )t' Oh my goodness the rain does make things difficult dosent it we have been without it for so long forgot what a pain it is!

Librarychick
Lively Laner

Post by Librarychick »

Well time flies and I've been too busy to update my diary but here I am again at last. Bluebell and Ginger are doing really well. They have grown into lovely plump little hens and still an egg a day from each. Hen-keeping is a lot harder now the weather is cold and wet and the days are shorter. DH has fitted up a light (motion sensitive) on the shed opposite the hen coop which makes it easier to check on them when it is dark after work. There are still loads of grapes on the vines so Bluebell and Ginger love having a bunch or two every day. We have also started work on an extension to the run to allow them to safely free-range a bit more. Last week we were in Cornwall for a few days by the sea. Magical. Luckily we have a friend who lives in the village to feed the rabbits (Maple and Minty) and look after the chickens. Oh - and "Whitie" DH's rescue fish that lives in a huge bucket by the greenhouse. We had to put up a little grate across the door of the coop because Bluebell and Ginger tend to make a dash out the door if you don't watch it. We wanted to make it easy for the chicken sitters. Both the water and pellet feeders are now hanging up with easy clips and they don't tend to get so clogged up with wood chips now.

It is definitely harder now but I'm pleased to have managed a weekly thorough clean of the hen-house and coop and I visit every morning and evening but I wish I could spend more time with them. Ginger in particular is a bit pecky if you don't watch her. It is easier to put them in a run on the grass when cleaning them out and DH is delighted with the way they scratch the moss up. So far so good then and lots of lovely eggs.
Lots of Love Librarychick, Bluebell and Ginger +f+ >ch< xxx