My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , Freezer is not doing to well , her comb is looking good and pink. Just struggling with her size . Feed her sweet corn and a new med water and honey which she liked .
Give her some more food tonight and metcam . She still has the bright eyes . I may try and give her a warm bath tonight to see if that helps her a little . sad time a head and may take her to the vets to PTS .
Light Sussex is still being given her meds and running around pretty quick and eating and drinking on her own .
Rest of the smaller flock ok . They have plenty of room now and the rain is not stopping them digging up the worms and creepy crawlies in the garden.

Keep well and safe .
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi as expected , the loss of my kitchen friend freezer . Died in her sleep last night peacefully after a last meal of sweetcorn and honey water and a very large dose of Metcam .
Will miss the pleasant sound of cheeping in the morning .
Only hen now worried about is the Light Sussex hen with canker still running around and getting up high in the coop .
.6 ml twice a day .(Big N had .2 ml twice a day ) .
Will see if any improvement over the weekend .
Left the run gate open this am and only one hen came out to investigate the food .
By the time i was about to go to work the ducks was eye balling me through the back door glass quacking .
very dark in the morning now and not light till 7.00am
Worry about there safety at times but they love the freedom .
Stay safe and well as it is getting bad again like March . Take care alround .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well Dark mornings and dark evenings and work , Covid 19 and all the other trouble of the world interfering with life .
Unfortunately what comes with life is death . My Light Sussex hen died yesterday afternoon from Canker . I hate this canker with a passion . Meds do not seem to work full stop.
Rest of the flock well and check them as much as I can . The ducks are loving the rain , most of the hens are out worm hunting in it as well .
Cleaned the coops out and fresh straw to nest in .
Sweet corn by the bag each day 77 pence a time . (each) .
Going to spend another 30-40 pound on feed and straw etc to get through the next month .
Buy it just in case a lockdown causes trouble .
Not hoarding just bulk buying which I have been doing for many months as it stops me spending a fortune and wasting it.
Still 3 cabbages left from the last case .
Given 3 lettuces over 2 days .
6-8 eggs a day 2 duck eggs .
Not selling them for extra money just a luck bonus for regularly buyers .
No complaints with the duck eggs .
So hopefully I can sit back in the garden at every chance I get and enjoy my legs being pecked by hens and ducks alike .
Buy also next week mealworms as last bag mixed into the corn .
House be altered end of November (Toilet being moved and the kitchen turned into a loo , washing m/c room and a new lay out kitchen .
Front toilet changed to a clothes cupboard and plaster hopefully finish the plastering not done since last March .
Up for sale before Xmas out before the Stamp duty changes again .
Keep well and safe .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How big is your flock now?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well long time since written .
I have 20 chickens and 2 ducks in my flock .
6-10 eggs a day 1-2 from the ducks .
I am taking my years holiday from wed to the 4th Jan . ( Subject to BREXIT ) .
I will be working my rest shifts and O/T when around .
Now my flock and rabbit , dog and 3 cats are all doing well .
All losing feathers and fur .
Plenty of feed in .
London in the middle of the bug war so not sure how much this is going to effect us , best get some more fed etc .
I am surviving and the more I hear of the horror stories around the more fortunate I feel.
families stuck together for ages as working at home is driving them mad as me .
At least I have my animals that are very supportive which makes me even more pleased that I have my hens /ducks , even the sadness when I lose one after all my efforts . My last hens have badly effected my hen keeping .
I put it all down to the times .
cannot wait to sell up , retire and go to a place with my creatures and spend the time with them .
they do appreciate the treats , attention and the mare company I give them .
You lucky people with pets that can take you away from the troubles around you.
For those that do not have any , get to know someone with them and ask to share them and you will be rewarded with the same as those like me .
I had a couple of children seeing my creatures Sunday .
How the young lad has progressed and even went and collected the eggs ( one eye on the coop flap .)
The dog even gets a stroke as he sees her regularly.
The rabbit gets the most attention with a brush .
Well worth it for me as well.
Keep safe ever one .
look after yourselves . The Government cannot do it for you as too many IDIOTS out there.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all . my 20 chickens and 2 ducks , 3 cats and the dog all doing well.
REDUNDANCY applied for subject to management letting me go ( Not expendable ) . Date could be 20th NOVEMBER 2020 or soon after .
Kitchen now put off till early December ?
Plastering started with a different plasterer.
Still going for land -caravan - build house .
Reason not been around much is I have been on holiday . Today overtime shift . Next in Wed and Thurs Sat next week .
More holidays up till Xmas.
Soon be a poor pensioner …. ha ha.
Hope all are well and keeping safe .
Long cold winter
Bob
Hi Sandy hope you are ok
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , first day shift back for a while .
Hope all are doing well and flocks safe .
Firstly .
Be aware that avain flu is back again .
Looks like my flock are joining me in a lockdown as in a high risk area .
My flock are eating well as always .
Last Sat they went to a birthday party in a garden .
6 chickens 2 ducks and Polo the dog . Cookie the rabbit was already there as had a sleep over and stayed till last night .
The treats he had been bought have been kept and the hay and the saw dust I took has also been kept . Presume that he will be visiting again soon .
the hens and ducks had a good rummage and she who must be obeyed was on frog watch as the concern was that there frogs would get eaten .
Not sure how I will get the ducks into water to wash if locked up in run .
Hole and a plastic sheet in run full of water may have to do.
Job wise spoke to the little boss above and was told that no PLAN for me to leave on Redundancy program . Made SHMBO happy but not me .
I put a shot across his bow by saying .Pay rise . redundancy or I leave with 4 weeks notice and take all my holidays in it as well .
Have to wait and see what happens , but looks like unfortunately for the readers of this you may not have read the last of me yet .
Keep well and safe and hope Sandy you are well .
Bob
Flock of Penelope and Red
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope workwise everything turns out for your Bob and that you can enjoy all your time with your critters. Hope you still carry on writing though - love your adventures and stories and would really miss them.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all good at the flock of Penelope and Red .
Semi lock up with me . They are let out for a while so the ducks can get in the pond for a wash and beak up.
Plenty of eggs and the ducks giving me 2 eggs a day .
Final request for redundancy put in , now it is a case of wait and see if they are prepared to let me go . Exciting times .
Plasterer stopped working for a while as other work to do and he will come back later . No hurry as yet .
Keep safe and well.
bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Firstly hope Sandy your coping ok and thank you for the call . Speak again soon I hope .
All hens are now more or less re feathered and the poorly hens that had a bad moult are now full of fun.
Ducks still quacking in the morning and the top duck is still jumping on Daisy .
rats are back , air gun out but no luck , may put rat poison down as do not want the trouble with neighbours again . A huge shed was re built behind my fence at the back of the garden . Hence the rats re housed somewhere else .
I am working the night shift (O/T) . Also working Sunday as well . Off next Mon and Tues , days wed to Friday and Sat .
December is much the same O/T shifts only.
Well still not heard officially if I am retiring .
Word is they need me . Amazing when you think the number of managers over the 40 years I worked in the company that tried and failed (only one succeeded but I got the job back after a year ) would be spinning in their graves (Most are dead and buried .)
Still have a plan of handing in my notice 4 weeks and take off on holiday .
Found land and sorted out a few bits but like previously I have not gone the full hog till sure .
I have spent many hours with my creatures and still love to see the freedom they enjoy .
More avian flu around , to the west side of county (Sandy beware ) .
So hoping you all stay safe and well , It is not over till we get needled .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Great to hear your updated Bob and glad that everyone is doing OK. Still no news on your retirement - they really want to keep you don't they? The land sounds interesting and would be a very exciting prospect, but I suppose you have to see where you are work wise. Don't mention rats - I saw one this morning in my chicken run yike* . I am afraid the rat position and traps have been put down. I hate doing it, but needs must. The Jeys cleaning fluid has also gone down (this has been successful with mice in the past). Worth a try Bob.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Yes Bob, our local free range farm, with 20,000 hens are dreading having to keep their girls in again if the flu gets any nearer yike*
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , making a guest appearance at work again .
Hear 3 days 2 nights next week then off again for 9 days .
Welcomed back by people with out masks , went mad . I do not know , I leave the place and it just goes to pot .
Hens all ok and rest of creatures doing well .
Left home at 5.00 am and put food in the trays for the flock . Usual hens came out to say good morning and get the food first .
Ducks are noisy in the morning but I think it is that they have laid an egg each and letting me know .
Bit like the hens nut a lot earlier in the day.
I am so happy that I have creatures to look after during the lockdown . it is something other people around me do not have.
Keep well and safe.
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 07:20
I am so happy that I have creatures to look after during the lockdown . it is something other people around me do not have.
Keep well and safe.
Bob
Yes, my cat keeps me sane, and makes sure I get up before noon
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , still working much to my annoyance ....
Very busy at work , cannot understand why ?
Hens 20 ducks 2 rest all ok , neighbour lost his rabbit to a fox that knocked his new rabbit hatch about and scared it to death . Hutch was so PRETTY .....
Lock down is a problem , how to keep ducks in a happy way when they cannot get to the pond etc.
Red has her dark feathers back . Scramble , Litalen and eagle are sticking together . Dark evenings and they get off to roost , except the ducks and the white hen , youngsters ....
My home has had a little plastering done and not much else , the kitchen has been put back to Early Jan and has to be done by END or it will be left again .
44 years service max is 44 on a pension but loose 6 months at the begining so June is a date , Also the start of tax year is March .
Land is not simple to get , price and you need to spend money with out a garrantee of getting it at auctions .
As always forget Xmas , be safe and well and live till next one .
Only you can make that happen .
Bob