My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by kitla »

Hi Bob, you can still get those tiny baby sized inflateable pools online, they're about 2ft. Might that work for your ducks? probably one at a time !https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/402368132351?m ... =28&chn=ps
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all a quick one , wish and hope you all had a good holiday with many more to come .
Lost my (Chatter ) Box on 21.12.2020 over night .
Have a blue ring in the front room with bad health issues .
Do not think she will survive , similar to Penelope`s illness .
Had a period of no computer contact at work for some reason .
try more later .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob good to hear from you,I know i keep on but you really shouldve got santa to get you a decent phone so i can photo text you :-D
Sorry about your girl, you keep well. onwards and upwards
Sandy
x
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,well guilty of being absent without a good excuse .
Lots happening since I lost Box .
I have had my Blue ring nr.4 in a box , in my front room for about 3 weeks roughly.
She is blind at least near sighted one . Head is held back on her back , struggles to walk about.
I think it is a bad dose of what Penelope had .
I feed her all sorts of food , treats and corn and pellets.
She sits on my leg and chatters as best she can and enjoys eating and drinking .
She is as happy enough .I cut a slot in the box so she can peer out , as I caught her standing stretched up head over the box.
I thought she may have died weeks ago but she is so strong and willing to carry on I will keep on feeding her .
The rabbit ,cats and dog for company , tele and me .

18 hens and 2 ducks doing well in the run , eggs have dropped down to 6 at most which is expected this time of year .
My house is now being ripped apart . Down to a kettle and a microwave .
Not much I can say about work but have done 2 weeks of nights shifts and having to work as well which is very unreasonable I think .
plenty of what , you want me to do that , and sling your hook from me .
Covid is rife and people in hospital and 1 death that I am a where of (work and a retiree at Xmas (4 days ago.) )
Still working and have plenty of shouting about it all.
I can only say STAY SAFE and well .
Keep out of harms way and if you can stay at home where ever you are DO IT .
Write again when I get the chance .
Bob
Sandy trust you are well and look forward to the day we can meet and hug .
Do not mind the rest of you ladies I am big enough round the tum for all .
XXXXXXXX
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good to hear from you Bob - I was wondering what had happened to you as I miss your posts. You still sound busy enough at work, whether that is a good thing or not, I don't know. glad you and your animals are OK. Stay safe and well yourself.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all a up date on blue ring nr4 . She was fed this morning with lots of bits etc and watered .

I put her on the floor with a small tray of food in a pile near to the dog water bowl (large tin one )
She managed to get a claw on the tray and after pecking in the air , to the side in front and behind , looking at it sideways head back and forward , she managed to peck and eat quite a lot of food , the mess she made in doing it was worth it .
Swept up and put back on tray so no harm done .
She is making lots of noise in the box when I put her away and after a bit of a panic flutter settles down on the floor .
The builder in the house said she sounds better , so I think she is well but never going to be with the flock on her own.
I will keep feeding her and water with tylan in it .
Half a dozen eggs with plenty needing them.
Work interesting times .
asked to work 16 hour night shift , first time in 44 years I told them to swivel on it .
Work life balance is out the window as also requested to do night shifts next week again , 3 week this year .
Getting shift change on the week . (Rate x shift x 1.5 x pay .)
Happy with that as no extra hours .
Kitchen rooms built with a lowered ceiling as Iron girder`s in ceiling is no good for the wiring. Plumbers and kitchen hopefully next week .
micro and kettle and the works kitchen .
Weekend may be a pot noddle / pasta for Sunday diner ....
Well I still have a sense of humor .
Keep well and safe .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

High all , very good at the flock of Penelope and red.
Blue ring nr4 needs a name .

She is ,has done very well . A lower box with slots in the sides means she can look over the top and through the holes.
She is eating and drinking on her own and have not fed her for many days.
she still has her moments of throwing her head back and losing her sense of space .
she wanders the front room more and eats the dog food cat food and any thing she can beak.
She is now on one of my miracle list as a survivor .
Not sure now what I can do , reluctant to put back in the garden as will not survive with the flock , do not want to put on her own in a hutch as not fair on her .
Looks like plenty of large boxes needed for in the front room .
She sits on my lap , stands in her box and listens to the tele .
cookie the rabbit is in the front room in a cage . he is out freedom ogf the house and jumps up on my lap for a cuddle when he feels like it .
takes to much interest in the hen so have to keep an eye on him as he will jump in box with her , not a good idea.
Tomorrow Cookie is going on a break to relatives and the children will give him a lot of attention which I am sure he will enjoy , also nails clipped as a two people job and not a job for me on my own .
Get him back in a few days .
was going to take a couple of hens over as well slug hunting , but the weather is not to good .
6 eggs a day . Scramble the naked neck hen has started laying again .
Ducks giving me a couple of eggs a day as well .
ground is so wet it is not drying out at all.
House has the 2 new rooms , plastering started today .Plumber on Thursday , kitchen units Friday . Putting in on Monday . Also lowering the ceiling for lighting .
Doubt if the house will be ready by end of March . Hoping the Stamp duty may stay lowered .
The flock seem very healthy and I should not temp fate .
Work wanted me to stay on night shifts for ever .
I said no thanks . Next week on day shift and then night shift the following week .
Interesting times for sure .
I am well and planning to stay that way.
Hope you are all well and keeping safe .
No jab yet but maybe soon .
Write again when I get the chance and some thing interesting to say .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hey Bob, good to hear you & the flock are doing well!

About your little house hen, if it's not a neurological condition, it could be something as simple as a protein or a vitamin B deficiency (commonly called stargazing or wry neck). My Ronnie had a protein deficiency when she arrived at ours, she was having a heavy & prolonged moult and she was so protein deficient she could hardly walk in a straight line. A steady diet of mealworms and sunflower seeds reallly helped and she was right as rain. If your little girl has been having a heavy moult it could be this. A vitamin B deficiency is well known for causing stargazing and if you've got any poultry vits get her on them, maybe even a bit of marmite! There may be a protein rich food that's also high in vit b, let's do a bit of googling! ^b:
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hiya Bob, oh your dear little girl {hug} lucky she has you for a daddy. My excuse for not being on here is can never be cajoled to getting onto the pc, my phone hates dtl!
I must ring you soon,another thing i keep forgetting to do be so good to hear your voice so i will endeavour to do so next week.
Can you get your builder down my way, no b+++++ wants to rebuild my henhouse for less than silly money }hairout{ and i have sorted them out a holiday home for when builder work can start!
Keep safe and well
xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Bob. Good to hear your catch up and glad everyone is doing well (touch wood). I think Karen has given some very good advice here with regard to protein/vit B deficiency. Vera was pecking neck feathers off Agnes and eating them so I am giving her extra mealworms and dried crickets (high in protein I believe). She seems to have stopped now. I was always lead to believe that too many mealworms were not good for them and to limit the intake. However, Vera must have felt she needed more protein. I find there are so many contradictory views when it comes to chickens. Just what is a safe amount of mealworms - anyone got any ideas? Thanks.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

What is the safe amount of mealworms to give to chikins? ALL OF THEM!!

Smudge
Destroyer of Mealworms and Pecker of Everything
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Star gazing is the exact description .
Meal worms are in food and she has never not had her share .
She still not named nr 4 blue , is in a box and let out when at home . She panics when I put her down .
I was thinking she will always be the same .
I have feed her cat food and helps herself to what she wants from the cat / dog bowls . Ham slice . She makes a lot of mess when eating as eye sight close up is pretty useless . She feeds her self but when put out on the front lawn does not seem to be able to locate her position etc.
She seems in pretty good health though . I expected her to pass over the bridge but decided to stay .
I think I had a hen , Penelope comes to mind . She was on her own in a hutch when the fox scared her to death .
Hence I will not put her on her own in the garden .The other hens will kill her , also she will not get the food etc she needs , so not put her back with the flock . I am now getting 8-12 eggs a day again . Flock seem healthy but the run is flooded and ducks are the happiest .
Cookie the rabbit is now at another house living the dream of spoilt ness .
I will get him back as miss him .
The house is in turmoil and kitchen is gutted , front room a store for the units and now moved back up stairs again .
Weather is horrible as when I plan to go out it is always raining .
Work is as I expected and warned that I am not planning to stay any longer than I need to and the bed is getting more pull to stay in it .
What you hear / read in the papers is true and delays are regular due to system and paperwork trails .
I have done the first week of dayshifts this year and back on nights next week .
Not effected as yet by Covid 19 , though I now a few deaths and long time ill in /out of hospitals .
How I have managed to stay safe I can only guess . (Maybe my personality (S... OFF ) and my self preservation kicking in .)
Polo the dog is also as well as her age allows.
Hopefully once work and the rest of my life gets sorted I can get back to writing more and reading .
Sandy , When I get a chance I will get down to you and rebuild your hen house .
Thanks you for being here and see you all soon in the summer.
Stay safe and well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all good at the flock of Penelope and Red .
Blue nr 4 is well and in the front room . I have tried to let her out with flock but she keeps attacking the other hens and losing . She maybe keen but try fighting someone with a blind fold and a nervous twitch . Never happen .
Duck weather for sure .
Plenty of pellets to make sure they are eating well. Ran out of meal worms so not in their best books .
Rolls back on the menu as emptying the freezer .
Sweet corn by the bag .
Cabbage .
Kitchen being put together today (Tues) plastered partly yesterday.
Work the same hate it .
Only good thing I eat in my works kitchen .
Interesting times ahead and many directions to possibly travel.
Cookie still being loved by children and seemingly behaving himself.
Polo the staff has hibernated in my bed , Cats are not liking the noise and disturbance in the house .
SHMBO had her cat of 20 plus years old PTS last Wed. Cancer and she was being to suffer .
Thing to give her Darcy my old cat as a house cat as road traffic would kill him . Not sure yet but maybe a good move for SHMBO and Darcy.
Well not much more to write so stay safe and well , get the jab when offered .
Till better times .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , happy days at the moment .
All very good , tempting fate , but fat healthy flock is always welcome .
Blue ring no 4 (house hen ) .
She is still loosing feathers , though still plenty on her .
I am going to call her Stargazer , after the illness she has . Sounds nice as well .
Put out in the front lawn with the snow .
She did not know what to do so sat down . Pointless excersize so took her in doors again .
8 eggs still 2 ducks included a day .
I am not going to say much about the flock and leave you guessing what they get up to .
The run has never been so wet .
Bag of saw dust (3 feet high ), in coop .
House is a slow job . Plaster back Monday .
Units in and appliances .
Floor being chosen by SHMBO .
Have a word with estate agents soon to see what chances of a quick sale / best prices around.
Work is what you do in the LOO .
Working Sat and resting Sunday .
Looks like a few weekends working for the next month and a half.
Lockdown is getting the better of everyone and only wish I could get down to see you all .
Not sure if I come and sort your run out Sandy , if it would be called WORK or essential travel.
O well , stay safe and look after yourselves , your flocks need you.
Bob
Tried ringing the Wood green rescue for more hens but did not succeed.
But maybe for the better at the moment.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Bob I was so looking forward to us inviting ourselves to Kettering again as made sense with Kitty and Karen living so close but we have to dream on......
No havent rang mainly because by the time i remember ive forgotten >coc<
So good ot hear you and yours are fine, transporting hens is a no no at the moment with them still being locked down!
Keep safe