Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear about MissPiggy. That is a grand old age and maybe age (and the ehat lately) was catching up with her. Whatever will you do without her annual neverending broodiness? Bill must be dropping subtle hints about getting his harem back on track :-D

Hope Bill's foot is okay. It's been a hec of a year for critters, I hope nothing's becoming immune to the ivermectin too - I need to do my girls again too
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Kitty thank you so much for keeping me upto date on Lottie and the lovely photos )t' Dont forget contact me anytime if anything changes and yet again thank you so much for all the love and care you are giving her xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Chickenopolous is very quiet now. Bill often wanders about alone while Poppy & Bonny go back to bed until late morning, even Gibby sits in bed quite alot - old things! Bill unfortunately tore off a whole claw on something over a week ago & also had a lump in the toe joint, so I presume he may have broken the toe - it looks like Poppy's toe where her old break was, but he wasnt limping too badly. I sprayed it with antiseptic & it seemed to be getting better, but he's limping a bit again & I've noticed that leg feels too warm all the way up now. I'm going to soak it in epsom salt water & try manuka cream on his toe.
All the rats seem to have gone - strange? but still lots of mice in the runs, and stinking up the feed shed, bleh!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

my rats have gone too >coc< how is Lottie Kitty?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lottie seems ok, still chattering away at me when she's in her box. I need to get some new nail clippers & have a go at her claws. I thought I might try a warm epsom salt soak for her too, it may be comforting for her poor leggies.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bill didnt seem to mind his leg soak, just waiting for some new ivermectin to arrive as his scaley leg isnt helping. I gave Lottie a short leg soak too & I think she liked it, so I'll do it more often. Her feet are lovely & clean now, I didnt realise how bright yellow they are!
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm waiting for a new lot of harkermectin too, looks like it's that time of year!

Good to hear Bill and Lottie's legs are doing well
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Oh my! Giblet has had a feathersplosion! her coop is thickly lined with white downy featherness & there is a foot high pile of white in a corner of the run where they have blown. .....and Giblet is looking rather small.
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

RIP Giblet's feathers and I bet she is feeling utterly miserable! {hug} But at least she moults with drama and style!
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

More drama at Chickenopolous! Yesterday morning I found the remains of Misspiggy on the lawn - something had dug her up, despite being buried fairly deep & with a stone slab on top. Worried that we had a visiting fox I put the trail camera out last night and this is what I saw

I will now have to be extra careful to shut the chooks in on time & keep an eye on the dog in the evenings. We're not sure how it gets into the garden but I presume they are more agile than they look.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Up setting , but the badger is doing what its natural.
Better make sure the coop and run is strong as they are powful diggers and chewers .
One not to be encouraged , may have been coming round for ages as well.
Dark evenings as well.
bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

OMG Kitty, what a shock for you. I think badgers dont hang about in one place for too long, someone told me this. We have had a few in the garden over the years and only seen them the once each time so let hope he trots off somewhere else.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

No more signs of the badger, but the bloomin rats are back! There's a couple of youngish ones regularly in the run & I think I spotted a baby one, so they're breeding next door again. Also one around the bird table in the morning, even coming around our house, so I've cut the birdfood by half to reduce spillage & stopped feeding the chooks at the door, & stopped putting anything but grass cuttings on the compost heap, & stopped feeding the hedgehog )gr: . There's a large family of mice in the greenhouse that have been eating the leftover seeds & some of the tomatoes. I've cleaned up the greenhouse & started clearing the overgrown patches in the garden & behind the run. When I open the feed shed mice pop out of everywhere & poops are all over the food boxes, they cant get into the food, they just like living in there.
My thinking at the moment is that when these chookies have left me I will take a break from keeping chickens.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

That will be a shame for sure , we will see.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I was going to take a break when i had my first 2 girls, was a shock from having no hens to hen keeping so understand that.
Thankyou for the lovely photo of little Lottie and you continued loving care for her.