Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

Hmmm I'm not sure what just happened here. I was expecting to be posting about the sad decision I had made to take Lottie to the vet to be pts, as she has reached the point where she cannot walk atall & is living mostly in a travel box indoors. However here I am back at home with her..and some metacam and Baytril. She has had a bit of energy healing (like Reiki I think) too & she's having a last week or two of trying to improve her condition before I give up. (and the locum vet Anna with interest in alternative treatments ends her time at this vet). I might as well do it properly, so she's going to get a warm bath & clean bedding & I'll try & make time for a bit of physio on her legs every day. If I can get her walking she will have some quality of life again, if not, at least I wont feel so bad when I take her back to the vet.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Kitla.
I will keep my fingers crossed that the alternative treatment that you will be giving Lottie will help her condition, at least it should make her feel better. If unfortunately it does not work at least you know you have tried everything for her.
I look forward to hearing how she does.
Sending healing vibes. {hug}
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How is Lottie doing now Kitty? Have you thought about a little wheelchair for her?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

She's no better Karen, (and yes I did actually look at the chicken slings on wheels that some australian company makes!) but realistically she cant walk, cant stand for more than half a minute & falls over when she overbalances which puts her stranded away from her food. So she pretty much lives most of the time in the travel box, which isnt fair. I was going to take her back to the vet this week but I've been unwell, but it will happen soon.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sorry to hear that Kitty - it did look like a question of when and not if, sadly. Bless you for giving her a chance anyway, and she has gone downhill faster than any of us thought really. {hug}
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Rodent battles going on at Chickenopolous atm. Rats are living under the outbuilding & are gradually increasing in number, the baby ones hop through the run wire, so even shutting the chooks in for a few days isnt enough, poor Giblet is having her food eaten up straight away. Today I've fed the chooks with the doors shut, then opened up & removed the food. I'm giving the big 3 a bowl of food by the house every so often, then removing it when they're done. Rats should be getting hungry, I'm going to bait the cage traps later & hopefully catch some of them. I'm reluctant to have poison or snap traps used on them because of the other wildlife here, hedgehogs, badgers, buzzards, kites, I'm considering getting a rat shooter out (faster & more humane). The other thing that's started happening is every morning when I open the coop a mouse runs out first. I've realised it's sifting through the poops for bits of undigested food! The night poops have been all "bitty" & scattered, I thought one of the chooks was poorly.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I visited the next door garden (full of wild areas) yesterday to talk about the rat problem & we found about 6 active holes by the fence near our house, this morning there are so many rats on the rockery I didnt even want to send the dog out to chase them away. Decision made - I'm calling the EH, or a private pest controller (whoever can come soonest) this morning. I'm now worried for Giblet's safety & paranoid they're going to get in the house.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi have been there . Be warned they come back /
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I got a private chap out, he refused to use poison because of ours & neighbours dogs & cats, so is going to use traps. Strangely, since calling him I've hardly seen any rats - they must have heard!
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I took Lottie to the vet this morning to say goodbye, it was unfair to let her carry on living mostly in a box, she could barely stand anymore & had started lying on her side alot too which seemed like a progression of her condition. I spent a long time cuddling her this morning which she liked. I shall really miss her dear little voice, especially in the mornings. She was strangely part of the flock as the others spend alot of time huddled by the french doors next to where Lotties box was, I would often put her on newspaper with some chopped grass to pick at & open the door a crack so they could talk to eachother. This afternoon they have been peering in alot, looking at the empty space where her box isnt.
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh what sad news but best for Lottie in the end I'm sure. Such a horrible condition for them to develop. Thank you for bringing her to stay a while with us, I do think of her as an adopted sister of my lot - such a character. {hug}
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Kitty thank you so much for letting me know about Lottie and sending the photo which made me cry. I have informed Duvinda, Lottie and Dottie's original owners who have always welcomed photos and news on the sparklies for the past 3 years. Bless she wants to know if she could help with Lottie's cost. I am just so grateful and thankful she had a lovely retirement with you {hug&kiss}
I hope you have got on top of your rat problem, mine have disappeared as Mr Ped had them and chucked a load of poison down in his run which i had to remove in the mornings as he didnt put it down deep enough and didnt put a brick in front }hairout{
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How are things in Chickenopouls Kitty? Hope all's well with you and your flock, both human, feathery and furry )t'
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

All ok thanks Karen. I've been rather busy lately as grandbaby Alice has moved in here with her mum for a while, until son finishes uni & they can get their own place.
Bill & the girls are fine, they've been shut in their run for a few days in order to stop the rats getting to their food while the bait boxes are in the garden. They spent most of the days dustbathing & sitting in bed. Most of the rats seem to have gone, still one active burrow up near the run, but the bait box will be topped up today. Sadly all the little mice are gone too - but they'll be back I'm sure!
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Ahh the rain & wind has stopped for a while & Bill is out crowing again at last, his voice is finally back to normal. Bonny & Poppy are out with him, scratching in the flower beds & Giblet is sitting on her doorframe taking in the sounds. This is the girl's 8th winter, the three survivers - a blind & retarded bantam, a one eyed brahma who hasnt laid since about 2yo, & an ex bat with cockerel manerisms who hasnt laid since I was given her....and Bill of course. The only reason Poppy & Bonny get on is that they are both tyrants, I wouldnt dare introduce other hens while they are still around (not that I'm planning to). But they are old ladies now & will need some tlc this winter I think.
There is still one small rat around, getting into the run at night & trying to dig a tunnel out. I set the snap trap boxes in there & caught a mouse & a vole :( The man is coming to take away the poison boxes this week, I really want it gone, we may have to catch this last one a different way.
--Immanuel Kant