Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

All rodent life had disappeared from our garden by the time the poison had been removed. I caught the last young rat in the cage trap & released in the secret spot.I poured jeyes fluid down the burrows, blocked & dug over the holes. I was sad that all the little mice had gone too & was very pleased when a new one turned up recently & has taken up residence in Giblets run - clearing up her spillages! However yesterday morning when I opened up the big coop there was a big pile of sawdust on the ramp! A closer look & I found this
Image Image Image
The last one is a poop left on top of the coop, could be a large rat poop? We wondered if it was a weazel, but i dont think they chew like this. The chooks were untouched so i may have disturbed it in the morning. Theres no signs of digging anywhere & it didnt come back last night (i put the camera out). Ive fixed wire mesh over the vent holes now so they're safe but id feel happier knowing what it was.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear. I'd hazard a guess at rats but it is just a guess - cant think of anything else that would gnaw at wood so neatly. Let's hpe it's nothing more serious like foxes or badgers - I think they would try & rip it apart rather than chew it.

Hope the Opolouses are well!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

All chooks are well. The mystery chewing creature has not come back, there's no signs of rats or anything else in the garden or around the chickens, I've even set the camera overnight & nothing appeared. The only thing we have are squirrels, but I dont see why a squirrel would try & get into the chicken coop. I think it was a very hungry opportunist rodent passing by. >shrug< Anyway it made me wire up the vent holes so the chooks are safer now.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How are Bill and his girls doing? Hope you've not had any more strange visitors?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Chickenopolous is much the same as always. Bill is spring-crowing & trying in vain to get Bonny & Poppy interested in the nestbox. Poppy has a sore & scaly-mite foot, when I was treating her I was shocked to see her spurs are now longer & sharper than Bills! Apart from a bit of wing flapping, I thought her cockerel-like behaviour disappeared once she became part of the flock, but I reckon if Bill left Poppy would start crowing. Big Bonny is still the boss though! Giblet is still doing well, I think she's going to live forever,
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I hope so , I would love to get to see her sometime , hen amongst hens.
Keep well .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I had been wondering whether to get a couple of new ex bats for Bill, while we're all home to look after them & it would be nice if we got the odd egg occasionally. But it seems that a side effect of the panic buying & empty shelves has been a huge increase in people applying for ex batts & bhwt & fsfh have closed the lists. I wonder if, once life has returned to some kind of normality, there will be a lot of chooks - bought on impulse for eggs, being rehomed or dumped in rescues. I wonder also if some of them are not being bought for eggs. {cry} Someone told me that at auctions cockerels are going for more £ than usual.
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Funny that Kitty, I was planning to do exactly the same & pick up another 2 girls. Perhaps they'll open the lists again when they've caught up. I also wonder how many people have a set up for theise girls they're ordering - you have to send photos for both now, so maybe lots won't be accepted. I hope the people asking to rehome aren't doing it for the reasons you fear too
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm reading more & more stories of people having chickens stolen. Time to start putting the padlocks back on the gates.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Yep , Guard dogs and good neighbours .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So one year ago today little Lottie sat in the passenger seat on her trip to live with Giblet. Unfortunately as we know it didnt really work out that way but i will be forever grateful for the love and care you gave that little girl and I got to meet Bill and his girls :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Has it really been a year? I was looking at some photos of dear little Lottie yesterday. Giblet has been wanting cuddles alot lately. I hear her crowing in the morning, she often does that when she starts laying & I've found a few squashed/soft/fart eggs over the past week or so. I wish she'd stop laying, she's too old. Bonny is definately slowing down & her eyesight is getting worse (in her one eye), I offered her a grape & she grabbed my finger - a couple of inches away. Poppy is looking well & eating ok but feels lightweight & has been dropping those green poops that tend to mean something is wrong inside. I'm worming them to see if that helps. Both old girls take themselves to bed at 4pm & poor old Bill dances pointlessly for Giblet then gives up and follows the others to bed.
Image Image
Lockdown has been a busy time for me. Both sons home from uni doing lectures & exams online, also eldest son's partner & their 9 month old baby girl moved in here. DH had an op on his foot early March so hasnt been able to help. Feels like running a hotel! Not complaining though, its nice all being together (most of the time) The chooks like it when we're all sitting outside, they often come & join us.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Poppy had her first botty bath yesterday. Her bot was so poopy you could smell her coming & flies were taking an interest. She is still perky & active & eating well but dropping those green or bubbly poops & thinner than she should be, I think she probably has a tumour. Bill has had a few episodes of being "sick", though nothing seems wrong with his crop. I've given them a bit extra ACV, he seems ok but I'll keep an eye on him.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Good you are well.
Hope your flock keep well as possible .
Hope to meet up again soon .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Very pleased to find we have a big hedgehog visiting the garden, I was afraid we'd inadvertantly killed them along with the rats. Poppy is still lively & hungry and happy, but when I poop pick the coop in the morning what she's left is definately not that of healthy hen & is getting worse. I still think she has a tumour, every morning I'm waiting for her to go downhill but no signs yet.
--Immanuel Kant