Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by kitla »

Today poor Poppy has started to go downhill. She was looking uncomfortable & lurking in the shadows, very unlike her. I knew it was coming but it made me really sad. I gave her a botty wash & a cuddle and had a think about what to do. I had some antibiotics left from Beany so I've started Poppy on them & if she starts to improve I'll get her a vet appt. But I'm not very hopeful.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , how many times have I had to do this. I am doing it at the moment as well.
You can only do your best for her .
Hope it ends well and it is hard to do but remember the good times and do not be sad for yourself as you have done your best for her .
Thinnking of you and Poppy .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Poppy seems a little better after the antibiotics, but she's had awful runny poops. Might be a reaction to the pills though. However Giblet is now poorly, she's been laying shell-less eggs & crowing alot lately, today she stayed all day in her bed - could be broody but she wasnt making the usual broody sounds so I dont think so. I couldnt get her to eat or drink, I hope she perks up tomorrow.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , hope so.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Good to hear Poppy has perked up a bit, and sorry to hear little Gibby is not well. Perhaps the heat is getting to her as well, it has been HOT lately.

Hope they both perk up soon. >fi<
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well Giblet came out of bed & started eating this morning! Hooray! So I'm guessing I'll find an egg skin in her bed. She's been laying eggy messes lately, also a little wind egg. I do wish she could stop making eggs altogether.
Poppy's poops are still runny but a more normal colour, last pill today. I still think she probably has a tumour as is rather skinny despite eating lots. But maybe an infection too, which the pills have cleared up. So Chickenopolous is still going! >ch< >ch< >ch<
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Giblet has made a full recovery, and stopped laying eggy messes (for now). Poppy also seems to have recovered, but still has a rather mucky bum.
Last year I planted tomatoes behind the favourite dustbath, this year I planted tomatoes in a new spot..... I guess the chooks just dont like change!
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's so good to hear Gibby and Poppy are doing well and have made recoveries from their illnesses. Long may it last! >fi< )c(
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Good news .
Made me happy for tonight shift .
You have the magic touch , I wish I had some of it at the moment .
Long may it last for you and the flock.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Everyone is beginning to moult. Poppy's health is going up & down, Giblet is getting clingy & wanting cuddles before bed. I've been looking into ideas for things to feed elderly hens, & found this site - https://opensanctuary.org/article/speci ... -chickens/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very interesting info. It claims the natural lifespan of a chicken is 10-15 years! I'm going to get some growers pellets for them I think & more treats like tuna, fruit & veg.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

The chooks seem happy enough with growers pellets - with added grapes & fresh sweetcorn of course. Poppy's poops are more or less normal now, but I picked her up today & she's still quite thin. Her & Bill were treated for scaleyleg a few weeks ago, but I've noticed its still active & getting worse. I've treated them again with Ivermec, vaseline & Poppy with sudocream too as she has sore patches. I will repeat it for 2 more weeks as usual, but if it doesnt clear up it means these are immune to ivermec, what a pain that would be!
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Good news that Poppy is doing well, although that thinness is a bit of a worry. mango lost so much weight over a period of time and you don't really notice because of the fluffiness, only when you pick them up. Hope she puts a bit of weight back on. I do also hope that things aren't becoming immune to ivemectin! yike*
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

A month on & Poppy seems fine. I always think they're on deaths door but they keep recovering. >shrug< They made it through the heatwave by hiding in the sweetcorn, especially Bonny who spent most of her time in there. Bonny keeps getting lost & I find her on her own calling the others, I think her eyesight in her good eye isnt great. Giblet is still crowing & dustbathing in the mud bless her, she has alot of mouse friends - new holes keep appearing in her run. The other day I opened the food box in the shed & a poor (thirsty but fat) mouse was staring at me from inside - I must have shut it in there the night before.
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How wonderful to hear Poppy is doing well! And the rest of the opolouses of course. It's so worrying when they get ill. My guys spent the heatwave sitting under the trees & bushes near the back door, and luckily for them I'd manage to bag a whole galia melon for 20p, so that kept them going for several days! And I've got cucumbers coming out of my ears from the allotment so they have been having them too - all great for heat.

Hope the scaly leg clears up! Have you thought about getting Gibby implanted?
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

praps if Gib was younger, but it doesnt seem worth it now. She probably wont lay any more this year now.
--Immanuel Kant