Starting my diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Re: Starting my diary

Post by HilierWard »

hi all

It was such an anxious Friday afternoon, but Queen got through her op brilliantly. The vet removed a "latticework of vegetation" - so nothing at all was getting through. She has to have 4 full syringes of medicine in a morning, with a further 2 at night, which she doesn't like one bit!

She is eating and drinking ok (crumb), but her poo is green. I guess that is the vegetable matter being pushing through, he said he couldn't reach any further down.

Along with the vegetation, he found a large lump of carrot. I had taken to putting a bag of raw veg in for them in a morning, so they could scratch and peck at it, keeping them occupied. It seems that I made a mistake as she was not pecking it, but swallowing whole.

Im also thinking, maybe that's what killed Texas {cry}

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

So glad Queenie got through her op. That's quite an eye-opener re the veg blockage. Mine don't seem interested in carrots but I think I will definitely keep them off the menu - raw ones anyway. Fingers crossed her recovery is fast and uneventful.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I have heard other stories of blocked crops caused by cabbages & things. I do boil up the veg scraps mine get - mainly so I can crush it up for blind Giblet, but I also find they like it mixed up with mash, whereas given raw they're not so interested. Now you've given me a good reason to keep doing it this way! I'm glad Queenie recovered from the op.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good news about Queenie, yes my Abbie had a crop full of weird stuff mainly long grass which I used to pick for her before I got wise how wrong that was. Abbie lived a long time after her op. I am sure you did nothing to contribute towards texas illness, they all eat the same but they do not all react the same.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

I thought they needed to eat grass - but when I said that to the vet last Friday, he said that was the main cause of compacted crop.

We have the post-op appointment tomorrow evening.

I think she is doing ok - she is bright and eating. Im abit worried about her mucky bum and her weight though, so I will talk to him about that.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They should be eating grass but I was picking the long grass down our fields so they were gobbling it whole, they need to peck it themselves out of the ground :oops: My poor souls know nothing about grass, they may have a big run but the grass has long since gone
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's when it's long grass Hilly, they usually nibble shorter bits off, but perhaps your girl likes the longer bits. How is Queenie doing today? She would have a mucky bum and weight problems if she's had a problem with her crop. What did the vet say?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Oh no - I have left areas of long grass in my garden for them. Im now going to cut it all down this weekend!

They normally peck the lawns and that grass is properly mowed. So that isn't a cause for concern.

I really do believe its my fault with the bags of raw veg.

Im at the vets tonight Karen.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Good luck at the vets tonight Hilly. The grass thing is difficult as I let Rose and Violet out into the garden so that they can peck the grass. The garden is mowed but there are parts where the grass has grown a bit longer. I feel they are usually OK if they peck at it themselves and I do try to keep all of the grass quite short. One of my original girls Ruby liked to eat part of a pond plant and she got sour crop as she was eating the seed heads. Obviously, nowadays, the pond plant is not there - it is all a massive learning curve. Rose and Vi do have cabbage and I shred it (by hand). They also have tomatoes and cucumber and I chop them up into small pieces. I do not think it would have been anything you were doing, I think some girls just react differently to different things so don't beat yourself up. Hope Queenie makes a speedy recovery.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

dear everyone

The vet is chuffed to bits with Queen - so much so, he had his photo taken with her and they are going to put it on their facebook page. I did have a look for it this morning, but its not there yet. She is a complete success story and they wanted to celebrate that success! :-D

He said the surgery couldn't have gone any better, her recovery couldn't have been any better and the wound is clean and healed.

She was back in the coop last night and went straight onto the perch. This morning, she was the first one out! She is bright and inquisitive. BUT she is weak and skinny.

The mucky bum is down to the human laxative she has had twice a day for the past week and that in the dog crate in our little bedroom, she didn't have much room to move around.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thats great news Hilly :-D these lovely girls know how to worry us don't they you must be so relieved.

No doubt Queen will be back to her regal best in no time with your tlc, your vet sounds like he is a knowlegable and competent man.
Thephoto shoot is a good idea and may give other chicken parents confidence in him when the see it )t'

I have heard there is a chicken diary on here that the boys and girls can post gossip and news on not that
I have read it of course I wouldn't pry and be nosy )w(
I wonder if she will spread the news of her celebrity status on there and with a name like hers it would be a fitting acolade )like(

Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Excellent news about Queenie )like( Love to see her on facebook, what is the name of your vets?

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Excellent news about Queenie. Love, love success stories (and happy endings).
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Vets are Scarsdale - the piccy is found here

https://www.facebook.com/ScarsdaleVets/photos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is Ashley he is super.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Wow, what a story. That's wonderful )app( )app(