Our Hen Adventure

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Our Hen Adventure

Post by Mo »

You could put it on a big screen at work and convert the office to hens. Have extra eyes on fox-patrol!

Wonder what the boss would say?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Oh no! I think you've crossed that line, I think you've become.....a mad chicken lady! )j; Only your chicken keeping friends will understand how you just cant stop watching them! About your run, is the wire strong galvanised weldmesh, with small holes so the fox cant get his teeth in them to chew on it? If not you may want to get some extra wire to reinforce the lower part. Make sure the ground about a foot all around the run has some anti dig protection, and there's no way they can get in through the roof (I cant see in your pic if you have a wired roof). It sounds like you wont be able to let your guard down, but if you're confident the run is safe at least you can relax when you're not there.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You could put it on a big screen at work and convert the office to hens. Have extra eyes on fox-patrol!

Wonder what the boss would say?
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

I have most definitely become a mad chicken lady, I don't know how or when but it's happened :-D and I love it! I don't even know what I did pre-chicken >ch<

Everyone at work loves to hear about the chickens and and have a box of eggs. It was actually someone I work with who has cctv on her pets that started the whole idea. We're all as crazy as each other!

I thought the wire mesh was ok but think another layer won't hurt. It goes up the sides and under the roof but looking at it I'm sure a fix could get its teeth through the gaps. It looks like that's whats been happening too.
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

I think this is first photo we managed to get of all the girls together
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Second attempt not so successful, but I do love Sweeties face right by the camera. They all though it was treats and wouldn't leave it alone in the end
*Katie*
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi double wire as much as possible .Lock door more bolts the better top / bottom. Leave a reminder on your house door . If in doubt double check . Once you get in a routine , only need 1 forget or thought I did it and fox will be there. It happens so beware . More peop[le check the better . As you say , do not leave on own , and when with them keep a eye , fox do not fear humans and will go for the hens in front of you. Cubs time and deep winter worse as feeding and hungry.
Do not leave food out as the foxes will come more often .
Looks good and the hens will grow feathers soon and look completely different.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How are the girls doing Katie? Everything okay?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Hi Karen, the girls are really well thank you :-D

We've been watching back the CCTV from each night and no sign of the fox this week! I know he's still around but at least not trying to get in as much as before makes me feel a bit better.

The girls are getting a little bit naughtier as well which I like. Dolly and Lolly teamed up and stole a bag of chocolate of raisins from just inside the back door on Saturday. They waited until I was far enough away to see but not able stop it! So the whole bag ended up all over the patio but no one liked them. Except for Mellow - she has a sweet tooth and managed a good handful before I could clear them all away.

Sweetie stole some turkey from the cats bowl as well yike* She loved it but I felt awful about that.

They've been having the inside bits of left over lettuce lately, as a treat when we are at work. They really love that and I can see on the cameras it keeps them amused for hours. We have to give at least two at a time or there are too many arguments. I didn't expect them to bicker as much as they do, someone's always being told off by someone else!!
*Katie*
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

KatieW90 wrote:
Sweetie stole some turkey from the cats bowl as well yike* She loved it but I felt awful about that.

Why?
Hens are omnivorous. Worms, bugs, mice, frogs, anything they can catch, as well as seeds & leaves.
Oh, I know there are regulations brought in as a panic measure 20 or so years ago to try to reassure our EU customers, after years of denying there was a problem with Mad Cow Disease. but as usual the denying was followed by over-reaction IMO
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Mo wrote:
KatieW90 wrote:

Why?
Hens are omnivorous. Worms, bugs, mice, frogs, anything they can catch, as well as seeds & leaves.
Oh, I know there are regulations brought in as a panic measure 20 or so years ago to try to reassure our EU customers, after years of denying there was a problem with Mad Cow Disease. but as usual the denying was followed by over-reaction IMO

It's just that turkey is so much like chicken that made me feel bad. I also won't cook chicken on BBQ any more in case they smell it and think they're next. >eas1<
*Katie*
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Your girlies look beautiful )like( Dont worry too much about them having the odd ;bird' in their food. Would love to have cctv but then I would have to watch it 24 hours a day {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I also won't cook chicken on BBQ any more in case they smell it and think they're next. >eas1<

{rofwl} We had a barbie on Tues night, the chicken was VERY undercooked. It kept jumping on the table and nicking hubby's hot dogs.

We always have to have distraction food available (raisins work bets) to keep them away otherwise they cause havoc. And sad to say, mine have eaten chicken off the barbecue - we didn't feed it to them, you understand, they steal it right out of the cat's mouth. And pork, sausage, burger, prawn - they'll eat anything given half a chance, plus chicken. They and the cat had a mackeral fillet between them on Tuesday (it wasn't very nice, so I picked the bones out of it and fed it to them all)

All of my girls have always loved a barbie. Tip - have a camera ready, and throw one single prawn out. Then hum the Benny Hill theme music. :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Poor Mellow isn't feeling very well this week >ch< She's been staying inside her house all day today and when we get her out she's walking around with her feathers all puffed out. Not eating (not even meal worms!) but has a bit of water which is good. Been googling but not sure if it's anything specific.

The other girls are very well and just finished eating my replanted boarders {warn} and we can't keep Sweetie out of the house at the moment. She loves the computer.

No foxes this week, I've been checking the cameras every day
*Katie*
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , check for bugs , maybe brodie or sick.
Keep a eye on her. Hybrids do not often go brodie but possible.
Check her poo if not normal then check the poo chart ,it is on here somewhere ,ask and it can be supplied by one of our expert computer wiz kids .
give her a vitamin boaster as well
Bob