Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by sandy »

Is Vera behaving herself yet?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Oh No Sandy - not at all, unfortunately. Any chance she gets she will pull feathers, not only from Aggie but also from Ivy (who is struggling with her sight now). So they are still separated, although they can all see each other and chat through the chicken wire. They all come out in the garden together because I can supervise then. Poor Aggie's feathers are taking a long time to grow back. Made me think I should have done something sooner, rather than later. Hey ho this is all such a learning curve even having them for a number of years. So sorry to hear of the loss of Nancy Ped. The funny thing about Vera is that she is the sweetest, friendliest girl ever and I really do not think she does this out of nastiness or boredom but more because she likes the taste of feathers!!!
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hello everyone. Just a quick update today. I lost my beautiful Violet this morning. She had been doing so well in her old age but went down hill rapidly the last two days. I am absolutely devastated and will miss her so very much.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Awww, CC, I'm so sorry to hear that. They do get into our hearts, don't they? Lots of happy memories of the lovely life you gave her.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thank you Freeranger.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh dear, farewell Violet. How old was she?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Kitla - vi was five and a half years old. I have always had Warren hens and she was actually the oldest girl I have had as they are not really known for living long lives. I have lost them at just over two years of age with egg laying issues mainly. I've loved them all so much but Vi was very special to me and very intelligent. She knew and responded to her name whenever we called her. My husband (who I brought along on this chicken keeping business) and I will miss her so very much. Both of us have cried buckets!! How is Giblet doing now?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

My ex bat Poppy is 9, but she hasnt laid an egg for years. As you said that's often what gets them. Gibby is managing, but I'm still not sure if she'll recover or go downhill.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to hear the sad news about your lovely lady, CC. RIP Violet
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear the sad news about Violet {cry} It is always difficult to lose one of our girls but some snuggle into our hearts so deep that to lose them is especially heart-wrending. I hope happy memories of Violet will comfort you {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry to hear about Violet CC {cry} What a brilliant life she had with you but it dosent make it any easier losing them does it.
How are your other girls doing and that Vera?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Gwen, Karen and Sandy for your lovely comments. It does help to share things with like minded people. The other girls are OK Sandy apart from Ivy does seem to have lost some of her sight, but is still coping and eating and drinking on her own. As for that Vera ....... well I don't think she will ever give up this feather pecking business. So, unfortunately, still separated in her own run and coop. Aggie's neck feathers are taking ages to grow back. She still looks a right tatty Aggie.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I think I may have a decision to make. Last week, before I lost Violet, a friend of ours rang to say the woman over the road from him was getting rid of two hens and would we have them???? At first it was a definite NO NO because with Vera having to be on her own I wouldn't have the room for them. Apparently though she is getting rid of the coop with them. Now I have lost Violet is it fate intervening? I don't know much about them only that they are 12 months old (same age as Vera and Aggie). We said we would call tomorrow with a view to taking them. I just go from one thought to the other and at this moment in time don't know what to do. After losing Vi I said I'm having no more, too heartbreaking, but how many times have I said that??!! I'll keep you updated.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have been like that with cats, one goes and another one/two arrive, but after losing Molly no more have turned up............yet.
I watch this space with interst.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh CC go on you are an excellent chicken mummy, new girls would really land on their feet coming to live with you