Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

As above is it a case of your feelings where she should sleep against her comfort zone . If safe does it matter much .
I guess she will win ,
Bob

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Think you are both right Mo and Bob. She is perfectly safe so will let her do her own thing. Roof over run and coops is finished now and it looks really good. Hopefully this Winter I will not be soaked so much or covered in mud (and neither will the girls). Thanks Mo and Bob for your replies.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mine didn't use the perch, but slept (and pooed) in the nest boxes. Which meant a poo pick or mucky eggs (or both if i got up late)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I have three levels and they all stand sit lay where the like or the pecking order allows .
The ones that want a particular spot go to roost early to get it .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Don't believe how long it has been since I have posted. Just a brief update for today. My two new (not so new now though) girls Vera and Agnes are absolutely lovely girls. Their little personalities have really come out. I think they now realise we are NOT going to eat them. Agnes is such a cheeky girl and is first for any treats available, pushing in front of little Vera. Aggie is so vocal and chatters all the time whereas Vera is so quiet and hardly says a word. Aggie has been laying for weeks now but there has been no sign of Vera laying ... until now ... when I have noticed her crouching down when I pick her up. So looks like she will start soon and I will just have to put it down the being a late developer. I am not bothered about the eggs at all as I have had so many egg laying problems with previous girls. I just love their personalities and the fact that they are always so happy to see me, which lifts my spirits immensely in these dark times. We have still got Violet (thank goodness) although she is really slowing down now. Still eating and drinking well and enjoying a potter around the garden. She is just like an old lady now, but can still firmly put the newbies in their place if they come too near. Ivy is still enjoying everything (touchwood) and especially enjoying bossing Vera and Aggie. Every night a dusk I go down and put Aggie to bed in the nest box. She used to run straight out again, but she stays put now. Don't know if she will ever go up on her own, but I feel better knowing she is in a clean warm bed with her sister, especially as the nights are closing in and getting chillier. So that's my update of my four wonderful girls. I hope everyone else and their animals are happy and healthy.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hi Louise, I am the same as you :-D long time in between posts, really glad to hear you and your girls are well x
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi all. Bit sad news about Violet now. She was doing so well for the last couple of weeks but she has slowed right down now and is very wobbly walking. Still eating and drinking OK but I think she is very, very tired now and really showing her age. Bought her some sardines today and put some cod liver oil in (thought this would be good for her old bones). She really enjoyed it. I suppose it is just one day at a time now. Doesn't help that she is moulting and the weather has turned much colder. Each morning when I go down I pray that she will still be with us. Been here so many times and the heartbreak never ever gets any easier. Keeping everything crossed that we will have her for a bit longer. Hope everyone else is doing OK.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Moulting takes its toll . She may be back to normal in a few days .
Good on the sardines etc .
I had a worry over the same thing , hen hiding and looking down .
When I checked her (thought bugs maybe the problem ) she had so many feathers with the covers on them , more than actual feathers . She now is running around with the rest . Hope she is ok soon .
Best
bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Liouse how is Violet doing?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Sandy and everyone. Dare I even say it, but Violet is doing OK. She seems to have finished her partial moult and is getting around well, even reminding the youngsters that she is still the boss!! I have been giving her a bit of cod liver oil on her treats and I think this could have helped her with her old bones. Long may it last. Thanks so much Sandy for asking about her. On another note Agnes is finally taking herself up to bed with her sister Vera. It has only taken 3 months but I think she has finally figured it out. Hope everyone is staying safe and well.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Ah bless Agnes, she has finally decided that camping out isn't for her! Come spring she'll be back out there again, under the stars... :-D

It's so good to hear Voilet is still pottering about, pecking everyone and generally chickening. How old is she now Louise?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Karen - Violet will be five years old in February. She is the oldest girl I have ever had. I love these Warren girls but because they are just bred for intensive laying I find they have a lot of internal problems and don't live to a grand old age. Vi looks very old now - I can see it in her face, but still pottering and even begging for treats. Ivy will be three in February, so her poor sister Olive was only two when she went. It's heartbreaking (as everyone here knows), but I console myself that they had a free happy life and were well and truly loved while they were with us.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

A belated Happy Christmas to everyone on this Forum. I have been having problems accesssing The Forum over the last couple of days!!. Just want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone that has supported and helped me over the last year with all my chicken issues and queries. Karen, Bob, Sandy, Kitty it's been great to 'talk' to you and wonderful to know you are out there to share any concerns and generally relate to me about our love for our Chickens. Thanks to everyone else as well. Let's hope we all have a safer and happier 2021. Very best wishes, Louise.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Louise belated happy christmas and happy new year to you...
I have send you a private message x

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , I had trouble a while back I thought the company had a block on it ,hence a long time off.
Keep well.
Bob