Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Kitty - I have not chicken-napped your Bill (although I'd like to he's beautiful). He is just a garden ornament that stands guard watching over my girls. My mother-in-law- bought him as a christmas present a couple of years ago - he weights an absolute ton (she had to bring him home on her mobility scooter!!).

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Well it has been a really lovely weekend (for a change) here in Stockport. The garden is eventually drying out as is the chicken run. Got the grass cut for the first time on Saturday and then let the girls out to play in the sunshine. They all had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed helping mum with the gardening on Saturday and Sunday (little angels). They even got to do a bit of sunbathing. Love watching them pottering around the garden doing their chickeny things (that's what life is all about!!). Have taken some photo's, so will try to post them in the next day or 2. Girls later to bed now with the clocks springing forward. That means will have more time to see them after work now, which is a bonus. Hope everyone's flocks are well and enjoying this lovely sunshine (while it lasts!).
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Helping mum in the garden last weekend in the sunshine.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Well what a lovely weekend here in Stockport (for a change). Mary, Rose and Violet have been out gardening with me nearly all weekend - it's been great. Mary and Rose did some serious sunbathing yesterday afternoon. They are so funny when they do that, neck feathers come up, take up a funny position with your wings outstretched on the ground - what bliss!! There's not a lot to report in the diary at the moment - everyone having a good time in this Spring sunshine. They will have a little stretch being locked up while I am out at work, but with the lighter nights they can come out again for another hour or so. There's plenty of treats to eat while I am gone - cabbage, tomato, cucumber and even a bit of scrambled egg. I will have to save the mealworms for putting them away tonight - big incentive to go in.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

My little Tiddly has been sunbathing on my knee all weekend - it's lovely!

If you've got any country type stores near you, see if you can get a bag of mixed treats called Garvos. They LOVE them. It's so easy to get them in with a handful of Garvos chucked in the run )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sunbathing on a sunny sunday
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

My beautiful Violet. Had a wonderful weekend - doesn't the nice weather make all the difference??!! Girls out helping in the garden again, even chance for a bit of sunbathing. Met our newest member of the family (rescue cat) and now everyone knows each other, he's not the new kid on the block anymore. Bought some pretty Violas and Pansys for my pots in the garden. Had a lovely time planting up with the help of the all inquisitive Mary, Rose and Violet. They really do think gardening is great fun. Hope everyone's flocks are well and enjoying the lovely Spring weather.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Cheshire Chick wrote:Well it has been a really lovely weekend (for a change) here in Stockport. The garden is eventually drying out as is the chicken run. Got the grass cut for the first time on Saturday and then let the girls out to play in the sunshine. They all had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed helping mum with the gardening on Saturday and Sunday (little angels). They even got to do a bit of sunbathing. Love watching them pottering around the garden doing their chickeny things (that's what life is all about!!). Have taken some photo's, so will try to post them in the next day or 2. Girls later to bed now with the clocks springing forward. That means will have more time to see them after work now, which is a bonus. Hope everyone's flocks are well and enjoying this lovely sunshine (while it lasts!).

Similar with me. Girls out 'helping' me garden. I'm managing to let the girls out for a ramble 40 mins before work and 60-90 mins in eve now. Fab.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Well everything was fine with my girls, until yesterday. Mary went a bit "off" not eating and lethargic, but drinking lots of water. I have been here with her before (checked back on my diary here and it was in January). I think she is probably having problems laying (always seems to be laying problems). Yesterday I gave her a couple of doses of Epsom Salts and she seemed much brighter thing morning, pecking around and eating again. She disappeared into the nest box before I had to leave home to come to work so I am hoping that she is going to lay and she will be up and about by the time I get home. My worst fear is always EYP - I am paranoid about them getting this dreadful internal laying syndrome. Anyway, I will hope for the best. I need everyone to be fit and healthy as we are going on holiday in a couple of weeks and the girls go to a lady to be looked after (I would hate to send her a poorly girl). The girls escaped from their run this morning when I was doing the morning cleaning/feeding chores, so they have already had a good run around the garden today, which is good as weather now here in Stockport is awful (cold and wet). Really hoping for some good weather this bank holiday (sorry I know I shouldn't tempt fate). I want to garden with my 3 little girls in the sunshine ... and I think a few glasses of wine will be in order - what bliss!! Hope everyone's flocks are doing well.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hope Mary is okay. It does sound like it may be a softie - is she doing the calssic hunched stance with vent pulsing? A warm belly bath might do her the world of good. Can you feel whether she's hot underneath?

Hoping to enjoy a glass of wine in the sun with your girls are you? Good luck with that! Mine would be up on the table.. on the knee.. beaks into the wine.. straight onto any nibbles. Al fresco dining - where you actually get to eat any of the food - is a thing of the past! )eat(
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Karen - no Mary does not have a pulsating vent and she doesn't feel hot underneath. I am just hoping that it is a blip - time will tell I suppose. It is only Rose that jumps up on tables and chairs so I think I might just be safe and anyway I guard my wine with my life!!!