Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by KarenE »

Good to hear the Cc flock are all doing well! Only Willow in my flock has been sunbathing, the others don't stand still long enough to try! I love to see them sunbathing, it's such a funny sight. Dory Grey sunbathes standing up! Yes it's lovely now the warmer(ish) days and lighter nights are here )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

one month CC how your girls doing?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Where are you?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Sandy - I am still here lurking in the background!! Can't believe it has been SO long since I last posted. My girls are great - thank you so much for asking. I had a little bit of a worry with one of my younger girls on Sunday - Olive. She seemed to be struggling with her egg, which is very unusually for Olive and Ivy as they lay nice hard eggs every single day. I could tell she was quiet and of course the old worry set in. However, next day she was fine and up and about and I found a soft egg shell in their run. I think she may need some more calcium in her diet. They have mixed grit and oyster shell and I always bake their egg shells and feed them back to the girls. They all don't seem to eat many of their layers pellets, so I think I am going to go easy on their treats (don't tell them that) and see if they will eat some 'proper' food. Any ideas how to help with hardening the shells would be gratefully received?? My old girl Rose lays a good solid egg every day still but Violet has layed softies for a long time. I don't worry too much about her as she always gets all the egg out and is not poorly. I always dread EYP - it is one of my worst fears after having lost other girls to that dreaded illness. So all in all, we are ticking along nicely (touch wood). Girls have had some lovely dust baths at the weekend and play times in the garden. Would you believe I still have to watch Violet with little Ivy as she will still go for her when they are together. Chickens eh - complicated little creatures but adorable. Hope everyone else and their animals are doing well.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Great news CC )like( yep we all stress re eyp, bless Delta and Echo they both have to put up with frequent examinations to put my mind at rest yike*

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi, good to hear all is well in he flock

Zolcal D is supposed to be good for calcium - the problem isn't always lack of calcium, it can sometimes be lack of vitamin D which helps to absorb calcium. Zolcal D has both, so worth a try?

It might also be worth considering an implant to stop laying of you think there might be trouble ahead. It can be a bit expensive, and will need repeating as it doesn't last for ever but might be enough to give her a break if you suspect a tendency towards eyp?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks very much Sandy and Karen (good advice Karen - will give that a go). Olive is back to laying her normal hard eggs so a relief there. I now think my old Rose is going 'off lay' a bit. She has been quiet over the weekend (do we ever stop worrying about these girls??!!). I think she is just taking a break (hopefully). She is just a bit slower than normal, but is still eating/drinking and dust bathing over the weekend - so fingers crossed this will pass. She had a couple of doses of epsom salts yesterday - just in case she has eaten anything untoward. Hope everyone else and their animals are doing well and enjoying the sunshine.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Everything okay with your lovely flock CC?

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I honesty can't believe it has been so long since I have posted. I do keep checking in with everyone and trying to keep a eye on all your critters and news. Time is literally flying by at the moment and I can't believe where the year has gone. I really don't like speaking too soon or tempting fate, but, touch wood, everyone here is fine. Rose has had quite a big moult but it hasn't affected her in the least. In fact she has been like a Spring Chicken recently and literally running and flying around the garden - not bad for a nearly four year old. Violet however has not moulted ... yet. Olive and Ivy have just lost a few feathers between them - they were only pullets last year so didn't have a proper moult. Anyway, everyone has given up laying for the time being. I am glad that they are all having a rest. I am actually having to buy eggs and my husband has said what is this all about buying eggs with four chickens. I had to explain that my older girls are easing towards their retirement and Olive and Ivy ... well I have no idea - just a rest perhaps. As long as they are happy I am happy and I wouldn't care if they never laid again. It's all such a change now as when I get home from work it is dark and my husband has put the girls to bed for the night. Still I have my mornings and let them have a run around the garden every morning whilst I am cleaning and filling up food/water etc. I love my girls!! Hope everyone is OK.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

good news )t' yep dark nights are such a pain!

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

{warn}

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry Sandy - I guess I am getting a telling off here!! Been such a long time since I updated, but I'm always around!!! Things are not too bad at the moment. As I posted on the other thread I have had a bit of a worry with Rose, but to be honest, she is so perky and walking much better I am quite happy with her. Still treating her scaly leg but even those look better. I have come to the conclusion that it could possibly be failing eyesight due to old age or perhaps those legs were bothering her = who knows = these chickens are a mystery to me. The girls had a good run around on Sunday afternoon when the rain eventually stopped for an hour or so. So sick of all this rain and mud everywhere - when will it ever stop?? The only other concern I have at the moment is my little Olive. I picked her up over the weekend and her tummy felt bloated, she was really heavy compared to Ivy. She is absolutely fine in herself and showing no signs of illness or distress but I am absolutely paranoid that she could be staring with EYP. My two youngest, Olive and Ivy have't laid for a couple of months now, but I have just put it down to the time of year and having bits of moult. I keep checking her all the time. I am just hoping and hoping that she is not internal laying as I have had so many issues with this in the past and I know inevitably there is nothing to be done to stop it. I know all about the implants and the draining etc, but these are still short term solutions. Anyway I am trying to be positive and keeping everything crossed. Hope everyone else and their animals are well.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Fingers crossed for her .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi everyone. Hope everyone and their flocks are well. You know from my other post that I have had a funny issue with Olive and her swollen stomach. To date she is still her perky self so it's all still a mystery to me and I am hoping that it is not too serious. I have been putting Apple Cider Vinegar in their water and also given some Poultry Spice for extra vitamins. On a good note, Rose is doing really well (touch wood) since we used the scaly leg solution on her, so hopefully that issue has been resolved.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi everyone. I have just re-read my last post and stated that Rose was doing really well again. Well I am afraid I think she has had a stroke. I think it must have been a mild stroke last time and I fear it has happened again. On Tuesday she was absolutely fine and out enjoying the sunshine in the garden. Wednesday she was very lethargic and I noticed in the morning that her crop was still full. I have therefore been giving her some olive oil and messaging her crop. She is not standing up at all and I have to put her to bed and bring her down again in the morning. She has been eating (from her lying down position) bits that I have mixed up for her and I am keeping her hydrated by syringing water into her. I am going to give her time and monitor her each day before making the agonising decision to take her to the vets. She picked up last time so I am just praying she does again. Only time will tell. Hope everyone else is OK in these worrying times.