Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I am so sorry to read the above.
I have had the same with so many hens.
You are doing the right thing . She will have a good ending to life be soon or later .
It is so hard to make choices .At least you have done your best .
Chickens get so many illnesses that it is hard to tell what to do .
Enjoy her company as much as you can and as long as she is comfortable and enjoying her life . It is the way with chickens they break our hearts and some times so helpless.
XXX
Keep well and try not to get too upset as you can do no more .
Bob

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh CC the news we all feared. Sadly it was the same with my remie and cassie. Hybrids are prone to tumours sadly. I don't think there is any right answer to the question of vets or not - obviously we take them to the vets because we want there to be a cure or treatment but if there isn't one then the question of what to do next is so so difficult. I've tried it all ways and i still don't know.

if Olive is chickening happily, then good and every day is a blessing, as it always was. Enjoy every moment for as long as you can and remind yourself it is okay to grieve and hurt {hug}

I've pmed you - check your inbox
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Bob and Karen for your kinds words. Means a lot to me to know that you feel the same and it's nice to be able to discuss the ups and downs of this chicken keeping lark. xxx Not sure how to check my inbox Karen - will see if I can suss it out!! I am a bit computer illiterate!!!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

CC go to user control panel at the top it then gives you private messages along the top bar, click on there and you will see your messages....
I am so sorry to read about Olive, i have had a few with tumours over the years, the last was Blue she did everything she liked , you will know when she really isnt happy and in discomfort so enjoy your little darling until that time comes.
I had to make the decision last monday week about Charlie's quality of life, i did as always asked the vet what she would do if it was her pet but i was sad to see Charlie paddling about instead of bossing the others about and being her usual feisty self so it was a no brainer in the end. Still dosent help, still miss her like crazy and like you cried my eyes out before and after.
You take care of your Olive like you always do with tons of love and tkae care of yourself xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks so much Sandy. Sorry to hear of your loss to.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hey CC how is Olive doing? And you of course!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Karen. Olive is doing fine at the moment. She is still doing all the usual chickeny things and is still enjoying life thank goodness. The only thing she cannot do is jump up on the tables with the other three. She is still making it up to bed at night up the ladder, but sometimes this is a bit of a performance!! She does get there eventually. I have really never known anything like this before. I just wish I could have got to grips a bit better when the vet was going through things with me. I get so stressed going to the vets that it's hard to take things in very well. I would have thought they would have given me a print out of the scan results so I could study them in my own time. All I really understand that it is a mass (possible solidified egg yolk) and he did mention tumour. I really think if tumour was the case she would be much more poorly. She is bright and alert and happy in herself so I am just enjoying these days and glad to be at home furloughed!!!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi sometimes it is better not to know to much .
As long as the vet has done the best and gives you the best advice possible then enjoy her as much and as long as you can .
she is in good hands and do not forget to look after yourself as without you they would not be so happy.
Furloughed , are happy days with my flock .Under better condition quite enjoyable.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Can't believe how long ago I last posted - but I do always check in with you folk to see what's going on. Hope everyone is OK and staying safe and all your animals are doing well. Just a little update on Olive really. The last couple of days she has been struggling with her walking and resting a lot of the time. All I can do for now is monitor her to make sure she is coping. She's been doing so well with this awful condition she has, but I knew in my heart it would get worse. It's still a mystery to me and the vet couldn't tell me very much either (mentioned tumour or solidified egg material). Her little face is so bright and she is doing her best to carry on. We have had such upsetting times recently with the loss of a dear friend and my mother in law passed away on Sunday (it was expected, but still such a shock). To top it all off I am being made redundant!! I think anything happening to my chickens would be the last straw. It's a miserable day here in Stockport but I think I'll go and let the girls have a wonder in the garden (if Olive feels up to it). Take good care everyone.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

{hug} {hug} Things do seem to all come at once. And we do get emotional about out pets, they may be 'only animals' but they are part of our lives. You have done your best for her so enjoy the thought of the happy days your flock has enjoyed and the rest of the flock (present and future) will enjoy under your care.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi sorry to hear about job . It is the sign of the times unfortunately . Only you can manage it , but if I can assist you , you only need to ask and if I can will willingly do so .
I have a hen with FM I started calling her freezer as she is into that as the sweet corn bags are in it.
FM is slim and Freezer is large (swollen belly ) . She acts slow till she wants something and quick as a flash she is there , sorts the cats and the dog out wings out and head forward stuff .
Look after yourself like in a plan your mask first before someone else.
Keep writing as it may make you feel better .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Mo and Bob for your very kind words at this difficult time. I will keep writing Bob as staying in touch with you wonderful people out there really does help. Thanks so much for your kind offer. It really is appreciated. I just intend to take one day at a time at the moment - nothing much more I can do. Thanks again, your kind words are appreciated more than you will ever know.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh CC I am so sorry to hear you are having such a bad time at the moment. My condolences on your losses and my thoughts are with you for the rest. Yes I agree with Bob, sadly redundancy is and will be a sign of the times to come. I remember mass unemployment from the eitghties very well and it's extremely difficult. If there is some small comfort in the fact that you're not alone, then take it! Taking each day as it comes is the only way to do it.

{hug} {hug} {hug} if you need them, and regarding Olive, bless her she is slowing down and the inevitable will happen but you will get through that and remember her in better times.

Keep in touch and remember I am still waiting for you to take me up on my offer in the pm I sent you!
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks so much Karen - I appreciate your lovely response.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

RIP Olive - my chief bug hunter. Woke up this morning to find my little Olive had passed away. She was not at all good yesterday and I intended to take her to the vets this morning to have her PTS. So, so sad, but she went in her own time at home without any trauma to the vets and in spite of her condition she enjoyed her life enormously and was always the first out of the gate. I don't think she suffered at all, just went to sleep and for that I am grateful and very, very relieved. She is now in her garden forever. Ironically it is my mother in law's funeral this afternoon and Olive was the only one of my girls that used to sit on her knee in the garden when she was younger. OMG what a day!!!!