Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by KarenE »

Louise, I'm so sorry to hear Olive has finally decided to cross the bridge. We know it is on its way but it never gets easier. At least you can take comfort in the fact that she was in her home, in safe and comfortable surroundings when it happened, and she passed peacefully. This when you think about it is what we would all wish for ourselves. We should be so lucky!

Wishing you lots of {hug} {hug} {hug} on this most difficult day, and wishing your mother in law and Olive a very safe passage together.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks you so much karen.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am so sorry you have been having a really rotten time recently {hug} and you have lost your dear Olive xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi everyone. Well I have just got 2 girls left now, Violet who is just over four and a half and Ivy who is exactly two years younger. It decision time again - what to do?? After the heartache of losing Rose and Olive so close together I go through feelings of ' no more'. But with Violet getting on in age now I do not want Ivy to be left on her own. So the decision has been made. I am getting two more young girls. I found a local supplier and gave him a ring. He is just waiting for them to finish off their vaccination course and I am to ring him Monday/Tuesday next week for collection date. I have a completely spare coop now as Vi and Ivy live together. Finally got something to look forward to but not looking forward to introductions. They can be kept separately in run as it has a dividing gate, so that will be good to start off with. Also being at home, with no work to go to, I can spend as much time as I like with them. I'll keep you posted!!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

)like(
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Marvellous news! Being at home all the time is really helping me get to know Smudgie and Coco so much, you'll love it )t' And it sounds like they are point of lay, so don't worry about intros too much, they'll probably be fairly meek and mild. My Pokey, who is a holy terror, was Point-of-Lay when we got her and she didn't put up any fight at all against Dory so they were actually quite easy intros. Here's hoping >fi<
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good to here you are having two new uppity upstarts )t' If you can spare a good 12 hours put them in together with 4 feed bowls and 4 waters and arm yourself with a water pistol and a comfy chair a flask a snack and a paper or book. Out of all the intros ive donw i found this the best and as you are introducing 2 on 2 good odds. I spent the day in introducing 6 on 6 so had a lot more running around to do than you will probably have. Oh and purple spray just incase.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Welcome to Vera and Agnes!!!! Well my two babies arrived at 6.00pm last evening. I was anxiously waiting all day. They are absolutely adorable and at 5 months old really look like babies compared to Violet and Ivy. They are practically identical but Vera (in honour of Vera Lynn) has a little bit more white on her tail. I let Vi and Ivy have a look at them and popped them into their coop with fresh food and water and bedding. Ivy had a lot to say for herself indeed but Violet was a bit quieter as she now only has a squeaky voice. Ivy was off again this morning so I have put them back in their coop and they went back to bed in absolute disgust. Vera and Agnes are eating and drinking really well. They are very shy at the moment but this is only day one after all. I am going to leave them in their coop today to settle. They didn't go up to bed last night so I will show them where their bedroom is later today. When I got Rose and Vi Rose slept downstairs for weeks before she got the hang of things. It's a lovely day here today in Stockport so I am going to give Vi and Ivy and good run around the garden later - the plan being to ware them out (doubt it will work). Anyway, all is quiet at moment - not that I reckon that will last long!! Hope everyone is OK and animals are doing well. I can see I am going to have some interesting days ahead.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hello Vera and Agnes, welcome to new henpals! )wav(

Oh how lovely CC, what breed are they? I have always found introducing point of lays so much easier, they submit so easily and the pecking order is sorted in no time. I'm sure Ivy will calm down one she knows they are no threat. PICTURES needed of course! :-D
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Karen. Vera and Agnes are little brown Warren hens. I know I am biased but they are absolutely beautiful and a much needed pick me up. This morning all is quiet - what a difference to yesterday (day one). Keeping them separate for a while just to be on the safe side. So pleased that Ivy has calmed down. Vera and Agnes created when they saw one of my cats in the garden yesterday. Today they came right up to the fence to look at Lucy. So they are getting used to the cats really quickly. It's just me that they need to get used to now. Going to spend more time today sitting in their run with them.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How wonderful! Well we won't see you on here for days now then, and quite right too! :-D
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Well my two little babies are doing well as we have only had them now for just over two weeks. Husband has even had a cuddle with them and they have been eating sunflower hearts out of my hands - so we are not the bad scary people they first thought we were. They have had a couple of 'plays' out in the garden (on their own without Ivy and Violet). We were a bit worried at first as they are very flighty and frisky, but they were as good as gold. I had awful visions of them disappearing over the fence, but I suppose they are just happy and interested with want's on the ground and they do love the grass. Agnes will not go to bed in the nest box. Vera has taken to it really well but for some reason Agnes stays downstairs on her own. A bit strange as I thought she would want to be with Vera. Rose did the same for a couple of weeks when we first got her so I suppose it's early days and she'll get the hang of things soon. I have put her in the nest box to show her it is not a scary place, but she runs straight back down!! Ivy still likes a peck through the chicken wire, but they will have to know who is boss. Violet seems totally uninterested. She is getting on in age now and I don't think she can be bothered. Enjoying having these babies SO much and am totally in love with them. Hope everyone else and their pets are well.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lovely to hear you have two new babies Agnes and Vera :-D its such fun when they are newbies seeing how their little personalites develop isnt it

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi everyone. Well Agnes and Vera are coming on a treat I am glad to report. They absolutely love their time in the garden and are so frisky and love chasing the pigeons. It's marvellous to watch them having such fun. Ivy still likes a little peck when she can get the chance but I think Vi is too old to be bothered now. Vi still enjoys the garden and was sun bathing yesterday. She has a little wonder around and then stops for a nod. She is the oldest girl I have ever had and she is feeling her age, but it is just old age and she is still happy in herself - thank goodness. We are just in the middle of putting a new roof over the chicken run. I am fed up of getting soaked down there when it rains heavily. Our friend has build a wooden construction around the run and coops and is fixing corrugated perspex on the top. It will look good when it is finished but it has been a much bigger job than I expected. Hopefully friend is coming today to finish off and that means girls will have to stay in the keep them safe and have to put up with all the drilling and banging. Hope everyone is OK and of course all your animals. P.S. I still can't get Agnes to go to bed in the nest box. I put her up and she ran straight down .. again. I will put her up when it gets dark to see if she stays. Any ideas anyone??
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Is she safe where she prefers to be?
If so why not leave her.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire