The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Post Reply
User avatar
kitla
Legendary Laner
Posts: 3633
Joined: 30 Oct 2009, 23:25
Gender: Female
Location: Northants

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by kitla »

So sorry you've had such a heartbreaking year, have a {hug}
You certainly did all you could & more for Bella. I cant help with breeders up there, but orpingtons & wyandottes are nice breeds, so are the bantam varietys & they are not too small either (Misspiggy is orpington bantam & Bill is wyandotte bantam)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner
Posts: 867
Joined: 12 Jan 2017, 11:51

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry SD that you have lost your beloved Bella, especially after the traumatic upset of losing members of your family. What an awful time you have had of it. It's a lovely idea to get 2 more girls. I have got 2 more young girls, so I have a flock of 4 now and it's great. Good luck with getting your girls and take care of yourself.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner
Posts: 3781
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 14:34
Gender: Male

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , You done your best , but chickens are not strangers to illnesses . Most import is yourself and those around you , Make sure you are ok and then you will give everyone and thing the best as well .
You should try and get a rescue girl , can get peds as well from places . Most of my Peds are rescue , not exactly picked but so pleased to have them all.
Let us all know what you do . Plenty of shoulders when need.
I am going to Peebles racing next month . Not sure if close but would say hi if it was.
Bob
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner
Posts: 218
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 14:47
Gender: Female

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by stripeddonkey »

Cheshire Chick wrote:So sorry SD that you have lost your beloved Bella, especially after the traumatic upset of losing members of your family. What an awful time you have had of it. It's a lovely idea to get 2 more girls. I have got 2 more young girls, so I have a flock of 4 now and it's great. Good luck with getting your girls and take care of yourself.


Thanks CC. I'm looking forward to having some new girls around the place to join my original darlings.
User avatar
KarenE
Legendary Laner
Posts: 3451
Joined: 06 Apr 2013, 13:43
Gender: Female
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by KarenE »

SD it sounds like you are having just the most heartbreaking year so far. You will get through this, but be kind to yourself while you are on this journey {hug}

I can't help with breeders in Scotland - the DTL Facebook site might be a good place to start - but I do know Fresh Start for Hens have some rescues coming up next month and while I don't know if they have any in Scotland, I would say if you want to give some rescue girls a home, to go for it. My experience is that you're not guaranteed any longer with posh hybrids or pure breeds than you are an ex batt, although for sure the ex batts might be a bit delicate at first I honestly don't find them any different from my 'shop bought' girls, and they are affectionate and will reward you in spades.

In short, don't be put off if you want to do it! In fact if you wanted to be double cautious, you could rescue dome free range girls - not quite the stress on their systems but still needing a retirement home
Karen
Alpha chick to: Dorian Grey, Pokey, Mango, Smudge and Coco
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly and Willow
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner
Posts: 218
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 14:47
Gender: Female

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by stripeddonkey »

KarenE wrote:SD it sounds like you are having just the most heartbreaking year so far. You will get through this, but be kind to yourself while you are on this journey {hug}

I can't help with breeders in Scotland - the DTL Facebook site might be a good place to start - but I do know Fresh Start for Hens have some rescues coming up next month and while I don't know if they have any in Scotland, I would say if you want to give some rescue girls a home, to go for it. My experience is that you're not guaranteed any longer with posh hybrids or pure breeds than you are an ex batt, although for sure the ex batts might be a bit delicate at first I honestly don't find them any different from my 'shop bought' girls, and they are affectionate and will reward you in spades.

In short, don't be put off if you want to do it! In fact if you wanted to be double cautious, you could rescue dome free range girls - not quite the stress on their systems but still needing a retirement home



Thanks Karen. I will definitely think about rescues. If not this time - definitely next. I am overwhelmed by the positive stories I read about rescue girls.
User avatar
KarenE
Legendary Laner
Posts: 3451
Joined: 06 Apr 2013, 13:43
Gender: Female
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by KarenE »

SD there's a heart rending and really uplifting story of a rescue from the last FSFHs - a girl called Fleur who was pulled out half dead and is being nursed back to life by her new mum Haidy. It's on Belle - A Caged Hen's story facebook feed (Belle is the previous little sick girl Haidy rescued). I'd definitely recommend it if you want a heart warming tale {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Dorian Grey, Pokey, Mango, Smudge and Coco
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly and Willow
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner
Posts: 218
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 14:47
Gender: Female

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by stripeddonkey »

KarenE wrote:SD there's a heart rending and really uplifting story of a rescue from the last FSFHs - a girl called Fleur who was pulled out half dead and is being nursed back to life by her new mum Haidy. It's on Belle - A Caged Hen's story facebook feed (Belle is the previous little sick girl Haidy rescued). I'd definitely recommend it if you want a heart warming tale {hug}


Yes, I've been following her story. Awesome.
User avatar
sandy
Legendary Laner
Posts: 9848
Joined: 13 Oct 2008, 21:59
Gender: Female
Location: Bristol

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by sandy »

I am so sorry to read you have lost your lovely Bella {hug&kiss}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Georgia,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora & Janice
The Peds…Suranne,Jennifer,
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner
Posts: 218
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 14:47
Gender: Female

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by stripeddonkey »

sandy wrote:I am so sorry to read you have lost your lovely Bella {hug&kiss}


Thanks Sandy. It was really devastating
User avatar
sandy
Legendary Laner
Posts: 9848
Joined: 13 Oct 2008, 21:59
Gender: Female
Location: Bristol

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by sandy »

How you doing SD?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Georgia,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora & Janice
The Peds…Suranne,Jennifer,
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
User avatar
sandy
Legendary Laner
Posts: 9848
Joined: 13 Oct 2008, 21:59
Gender: Female
Location: Bristol

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by sandy »

sandy wrote:How you doing SD?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Georgia,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora & Janice
The Peds…Suranne,Jennifer,
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

Post Reply