The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by sandy »

So sorry to hear about Florence {hug&kiss} as Karen has said good for her that she wasn't sick for ages and suffer but still so so sad for you.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

I had a post mortem done on Florence today since she died so suddenly. Turns out she had fatty liver disease and died of a liver haemorrhage. This disease is caused by too much high energy feed - often carbohydrates - that is not being exercised away. Florence wasn't overweight but she was certainly at the top end of the range. She looked bursting with health. The girls get out for an hour each day Mon to Frid and several hours at the weekend. They do get corn on the cob as a treat sometimes but also low carb foods like broccoli and water melon. The other girls are very well but more svelt than Florence was. There are generally no obvious symptoms of fatty liver disease and the hen can be looking great and laying great then die suddenly. Often straining to lay can be the trigger for the haemorrhage. I had never heard of this before. I am now devastated because surely I could have prevented Florences death if I had reduced her carbs. I don't think I'll ever forgive myself.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Well at least that can allay any fears about respiratory infections and such - I once lost my whole flock to a lingering respiratory infection that I hadn't realised Toffee had died from.

I know it's easy to say, but you mustn't blame yourself. It doesn't sound like you're over feeding treats in fact it sounds like you're remarkably well controlled. It may be that Florence had a propensity to put more weight on and perhaps her system wasn't as good at metabolising the carbs. {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

KarenE wrote:Well at least that can allay any fears about respiratory infections and such - I once lost my whole flock to a lingering respiratory infection that I hadn't realised Toffee had died from.

I know it's easy to say, but you mustn't blame yourself. It doesn't sound like you're over feeding treats in fact it sounds like you're remarkably well controlled. It may be that Florence had a propensity to put more weight on and perhaps her system wasn't as good at metabolising the carbs. {hug}

Thanks Karen. I dearly hope you are right but in truth and in hindsight I think I was over doing it. A tough lesson for me and worse for poor Flo. I can only learn from it and move on. Thanks again. X
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , chicken keeping is all about experience which is hard to teach but hands on means it all.
Free range girls run about as much as they can , boys chasing watching for predators ,all helps keep fit.
Reduced space girls need a special diet .
Easy to say, how many fat cats and dogs about .
Well done for finding the cause.
Bob
P S I have probably the same fatty liver so do not get upset .
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I looked up lots about fatty liver in chooks when I had an orpington that I thought had the problem. It seems to be something some chooks are more prone to than others. Foods rich in biotin are good for liver repair - chard, cauli, egg yolks. You couldnt have known poor Florence had this, but at least you keep an eye on the others.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Thanks everyone for your support. I have learned a big lesson here. Love to you all.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Please do not beat yourself up! MY neighbour gives his girls donuts, chips, malt loaf, tacos,naan bread, curry, you name it, whatever he wants to offload and not one Ped girl has died of a fatty liver. My Deirdre(Deedee Mahoney) died of liver failure and ate exactly the same as my other , at the time, 10 girls and she wasnt over weight. Like us some hens are more susceptible to illnesses than others. You are an excellent chicken parent so get any thoughts of being rubbish right out of your head now! {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with everyone else, some chickens are more prone to diseases than others (just like us humans are). It was not your fault so don't be hard on yourself. {hug}
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

sandy wrote:Please do not beat yourself up! MY neighbour gives his girls donuts, chips, malt loaf, tacos,naan bread, curry, you name it, whatever he wants to offload and not one Ped girl has died of a fatty liver. My Deirdre(Deedee Mahoney) died of liver failure and ate exactly the same as my other , at the time, 10 girls and she wasnt over weight. Like us some hens are more susceptible to illnesses than others. You are an excellent chicken parent so get any thoughts of being rubbish right out of your head now! {hug}

Thanks )t'
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Cheshire Chick wrote:Sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with everyone else, some chickens are more prone to diseases than others (just like us humans are). It was not your fault so don't be hard on yourself. {hug}

)like(
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

This is my new girl. 17 week old Barnevelder. I have named her Bella.

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Another piccy of Bella.

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Here is my darling little Matilda...

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

And here is Hamble - now amazed she is no longer bottom of the pecking order.