The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by stripeddonkey »

Wow - yesterday (Easter Monday) was a pretty nice day weather wise. I must have been out in the garden for 6 hours. The garden is starting to look much tidier and awake. The girls had a blast. They were scratching around interspersed with periods of sunbathing. They love popping into the kitchen when my back is turned. If only they didn't poo constantly I wouldn't mind. Anyone managed to house train a hen? Back to work today so the girls will only get a couple of hours of freedom. The run isn't too small so I they are ok. Definitley planning an extension though. Need to save some pennies first.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think some company (probably American) sells nappies for hens yike*

Pity you can't give the hens a choice - do you want to wear this and come in, or stay out?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh no, can you imagine the mess on their bum feathers when you took them off? )loo(
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Claims to have thought of that

And you can take your hen for a walk as well!!!!

Still not convinced though.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

My girls do not hang about even to wipe their feet , Just a mad dash through the gap in door as I open it. No invite just come on in....
Bob
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:My girls do not hang about even to wipe their feet , Just a mad dash through the gap in door as I open it. No invite just come on in....
Bob

>ch< >ch< >ch<
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

My girls are also desperate to move into the house. I wonder whether they would want to kick me out. Mine spend all day knocking on the back door and if they sneak in, they are so happy they practically explode with clucks. We too have thought it would be lovely if they did, except for the poo. Chicken nappies just seems such a wrong idea! Plus the cat would be really peed off...
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

KarenE wrote:My girls are also desperate to move into the house. I wonder whether they would want to kick me out. Mine spend all day knocking on the back door and if they sneak in, they are so happy they practically explode with clucks. We too have thought it would be lovely if they did, except for the poo. Chicken nappies just seems such a wrong idea! Plus the cat would be really peed off...

Indeed. Nappies are a no no in my view. My two moggies would be unimpressed too.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

I was away in Amsterdam on holiday for a few days and my neighbour was looking after the girls. First message from her...

Do you have a web cam set up? You should, you would be laughing hysterically. Girls are running rings round me. They keep making a dash for the house, stealing cat food and hiding under the kitchen table!!!

Mmmm. Naughty girls {rofwl}
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Message two...

I'm loving it. Sitting in your garden having a glass of wine. The girls are meandering around. I could stay here forever.

Positive effects of gardens and chickens. :-D
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I have a friend in the village who loves coming round for a cup of tea or glass of wine so she can watch the girls pottering about. She thinks they are hilarious, which of course they are. She sometimes looks after them when we go away, and loves it. I am trying to persuade her to get some of her own but no joy yet!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Another weekend in the garden for me and the girls. Pretty nice weather too. I took the majority of the transparent tarpaulin off the run to let the air in, to make sure there is plenty of fresh air circulating over the summer months. There is a roof on the run which keeps most of the rain out. Some gets in from the sides but in summer that shouldn't be too bad, even here in rainy Scotland!!! The girls come when I shout them now - most of the time - and if I'm holding a corn cob they run into the run - clever girls.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Hubby and I had a lovely dinner on Frid with the folks who bred and supplied our girls. I think they think I'm a bit batty particularly when I demonstrated how I call the girls to get them into the run - truth be known a few glasses of wine were consumed :-D The girls are continuing to empty beds of compost as fast as I fill them. I never tire of watching them dust bathe.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Hamble has been in full blown broody mode for 10 days now. I can't snap her out it. I've been lifting her out the nest box for a leg stretch and munch in the morning before work then again in the evening - more at the weekend. After 15 mins she is circling the coop to get back in, all the time making the same tuck tuck noise and looking quite fraught poor petal. I usually let her back in before too long and she returns to her happy pancake shaped self in the nest box. Tonight I sat her in a basin of cold water. It wasn't very deep so probably only her legs and her tummy got wet. After ten mins I let her hop out and she wandered reluctantly to the other girls. It was roasting this eve so the cool dip was quite well received. She spent maybe 40 mins out the coop and had a little dust bath and sun bathe. I might try slightly deeper water tomorrow and see if it has a similar effect or starts to ease her out the broodiness. Anyone any experience of this sort of thing?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I've got no experience directly as all my girls have been too greedy to go broody. But try sticking an ice pack under her. They need a certain temp to incubate the eggs, so the theory is that if she's too cold she will give up. That's why some people move broodies into a bare cage, up off the ground so cooler air can circulate underneath.
Karen