Shucks! chooks!! Jemima, Marjory and Dottie

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Shucks! chooks!! Jemima, Marjory and Dottie

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi this is training your human properly.
Bob

Maisie23
Lively Laner

Post by Maisie23 »

So many folks to reply to any so many names :oops:

We have mealworms but don't want to give them every day, or even every week. Thanks to operant conditioning (outdated possibly but works on chooks, Skinner et al lol) I have managed to convince them to think any shaking sound is super good stuff. So popping into the pen, shaking the feeder so it falls on the floor, works

We have now rehomed a cat, Marley, age two, neutered and but unvaccinated by previous owner, wormed and flea'd though (shall be continuing to treat/vaccinate as required, other questions will be on a different post). Who is currently hiding in the kids bedroom, eating, drinking and excreting while we are asleep, in bed, being very flighty when we are not {warn} . We gave him a home because his pre-rescue owners were inundated with mice, rats and baby rabbits as presents +f+

I love all animals (have fish and tortoises too!) so Marley is welcome, still settling in but I'm sure he will earn his scout badges once he is king of the castle. Ps. We still have snap traps in the cupboard accessible by rats and also the airing cupboard, which evidently was a haunt of already settled rodents {cry} but no entrants. I think hubby managed to plug any holes.

Herding the chooks means putting them back into their pen. Funnily enough, now that we have the extension, they seem to gravitate back to the pen when I'm inside and they can't see me. Goodness help me if they hear or see me in the kitchen/dining room!! They flock (if three chooks can hehe) and talk and talk and talk and talk {rofwl}

Once it is nearly dark I go out and close the pop hole, if they are all in. If not, I wait, like a fool, until they all are......

Chickenitis? Yep, I need a pill and I need it soon. I wake up every morning knowing I need to go open the pop hole. And that makes me feel wonderful because the pop hole I am opening is one for three hens who never saw the sun before coming to live with us.

They have decimated my garden, but I have NO weeds. They have made me find 'dust extracted' straw, but they have made a lovely warm home in it. They have made me sweep poo from the patio twice daily, but they have been free and easy enough to do so. They have run AT me like prehistoric raptors, but I have still stepped carefully enough to not harm them. They have found their way into my heart and I have not been able to fend them off )w(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

YEP.
You have it. Worse case seen.
Enjoy this very happy moment ,but remember that at some point in time they end their happy lives ,which with out you would have been a lot , lot sooner . When it happens remember now and be happy as you can be.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Yes definitely sounds like you have this chickenitis very bad - welcome to this mad world of chicken keeping. How lovely that you have given a home to a rescue cat (we did the same a few months ago). We now have three. Sure he/she will settle very well in your loving home.
Maisie23
Lively Laner

Post by Maisie23 »

Well it's a sad post, Dot succumbed to some unknown nasty. Then Marj fell a few hours later, followed by Jemima.

It all happened so quickly. I was checking for sour crop etc etc. They just wanted to go.

Still very raw and missing them........
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

That was amazingly quick. What a shock for you.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Sorry to hear that. It does seem strange for them to go at the same time like that. Were there any symptoms?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So very sorry to read your sad, sad post. What a terrible shock and upset for you to lose the three of them like that. Thinking of you.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Maisie I am so sorry you have lost your three lovely girls. Yes they had a wonderful life with you but it must be hurting so much {hug&kiss}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Maisie, I am so sorry to hear this news. You must be so devastated. Losing one is hard enough but a whole flock is heartbreaking. I really do feel for you - this is unbelievably bad luck {hug}

Do you have any idea what it was? What symptoms did they have, and how long were they sick for? I understand if it may be the last thing you want to think of, but if you are considering getting more it is worth trying to figure out what the problem was. This sounds like an extremely serious and virulent infection - my gut would say respiratory, myco or I hate to say it avian flu. What part of the country are you in? Any wild birds esp fowl near you?

Disinfect coop & run from top to toe with virkon disinfectant, then do it again. Keep bio security i.e. A virkon foot bath and use it every time you enter & leave the coop & run.

Take care, and know we're all hear to listen if you want to talk, or remember your girls.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Masie.
I am so sorry that you have lost your girls, my heart goes out to you {hug}
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Maisie how are you doing? It would be lovely if you could rehome some girls again as you have so much love to give them and what a wonderful life they would have with you {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/