`Ambers update.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
amber66
Longlasting Laner

`Ambers update.

Post by amber66 »

It's been a while since i have posted so i thought i should give an update on Mollie's flock.
Mollie, bless her she is starting to show her age now and has slowed down quite a bit. She still insists on trying to sleep on top of the coop so i have to go down every night and put those that are not in, into the coop (after a cuddle of course). Her bottom was a bit mucky today but she seems alright in herself.
Pippa, still top hen at the moment and is plodding along in her own little way and not causing any trouble which is always good.
Lola, where do i start, she is a right little madam and i am sure trying to become top hen. She is always having a peck at Rosie and Roxy and generally just being mean.
Rosie, who is bottom hen has been laying a few softies as late and has been puffed up standing in the corner until they are laid then she is back to normal. I have been adding calcium carbonate to their warm mash in the morning and that is helping her a bit but she does worry me.
Roxy who is also near the bottom seems fine she has had a few "off" days but is ok ATM.
They have all more or less stopped laying now for the winter. I don't mind as i have gone off eggs since having chemo and have been giving most of them away.
I am going away for a few days with the OH and son number 2 will be looking after them with full instructions so i am sure they will be fine but you still worry don't you.
I hope all are well.
Amber.

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: `Ambers update.

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Lovely to read your update Amber and glad that everyone over in your flock is doing OK. Rose and Violet are now prone to softies as well now that they are approaching 3 years of age. I sometimes sprinkle Limestone Flour on their food, but I don't think it helps that much. Once they have laid, just like your girl, they are fine again. I always think that as long as they get it all out, they are OK. You mention that you are going away. I am sure your son will be fine and I am sure you will be giving him all your instructions in your absence. Hope that you have a really lovely time wherever you are going. Also sounds like you have been in ill health yourself. Hope that you are feeling much better and are now well on the road to a full recovery. Have a wonderful holiday.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you Cheshire chick. I am sure they will be fine but i will worry anyway.
We both need a break as a lot has gone on over the last few years and he has been promising to take me to Paris for the last 26 years yike* and at last we are going.
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Keep well ,, Enjoy Paris . Plenty to see . Food is ok but prefer Italian ...
Are you driving or train .
I stayed in the defence area and walked to the river bank .
Glad that you are out and about plenty of places to go after Paris .
Give me a shout if you would like to show me your famous hens . I have some time off before Xmas and you are not another County away all said and done.
Love to know what you did .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Great to hear Mollie and the girls are doing well Amber. Maybe you're getting the softies as they run down their egg laying and revv up for moulting if they haven't already?

Lola sounds just like my little naughty hen Nugget, who was bottom hen but kept having sorties at Weeps whenever she thought she could get away with it. Nugget did become top hen when Weeps and Rexie died, and saw off all pretenders to her throne until the day she died. Lola could well be your next Queen-In-Waiting :-D

Paris sounds fantastic! It sounds like you thoroughly deserve a break so soak it up. All that food, wine, cheese. Divine! I really hope you enjoy it. Good job you're not heading to Venice, it's flooding at the minute (but can definitely recommend it if you haven't been there either)
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lovely to have a catchup on your girls Amber.
Paris will be lovely for you and hubby, a well needed time to have some enjoyment. I have been through it a few times before I had five hours to look at the sights, now dont laugh but spent majority of the time in the train station loo removing clothes, drying them under the drier , did go to cafe there too for hot coffee and lots of cake as it didnt stop raining torrentialy the whole time {rofwl}
Didnt matter though...
I am sure the weather will be kind to you xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello All.
We are back from Paris and the weather was cold but dry and sunny so good to walk around in.
We went via Train Bob which was much easier than flying, which i hate anyway.
We managed to see all the usual sites. I didn't realise how small the Mona Lisa really is.
The pastries were really nice and we managed to work out what most food was with my little knowledge of French and them speaking a little English.
The only down side was the amount of homeless people on the streets a lot more than London. I did miss the girls feathered and with fur. They were fine though. son did a good job.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So glad you had a lovely time in Paris Amber. Sounds like you and your husband thoroughly enjoyed it. I went (about 28 years ago now) with my husband and it was lovely to see all the sights and we went to the top of the Eiffel Tower. I hope you brought your son a special pressie home for doing such a good job on the animal front.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Glad you had a lovely time in Paris and returned to find all was well )like(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , sounds like you had fun . Pastries are SHMBO favouriate .
Steps up to the church was hard work near a big market , then on to the M. rouge (wind mill )
Flash back .
Glad you had a good time , trains is o k , have not been on it yet .
Hope you can get out more as Brussels is good as well .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Amber so warming to hear you had a lovely time in gay Paris )like( i found the beggars around the eiffel tower a bit scary, cannot understand why the authorities allow it, they didnt look poor but i know what you mean about the genuine streeet people, pastries eh >ck<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Morning all.
I hope you are all well.
Since it has turned colder i have been putting the cardboard vegetable trays with loads of straw tucked into a large cardboard box inside the coop to keep the girls warm and i think they approve. The coop is plastic (Arcus) and i find it gets a bit damp because of the condensation hence the cardboard. I do keep the door open slightly as their run is secure and it does have air holes but still gets damp.
Pippa is moulting, just the odd feather every now and then but i think she feels a bit sore as she is always off to bed first now and goes into the cooop of her own accord and stays away from the others as best she can.
Rosie is back to her old self and is not laying softies at the moment, which is good news.
The rest seem fine fingers crossed they stay that way.
It would be good to meet you Bob will have to arrange a time in the future.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber. Glad to hear that your girls are all doing well. My coops are wooden, but I always leave the nest box door open (the coops are inside my run so, hopefully, they are safe and sound at night. Sounds like a good idea to use the cardboard boxes (bet the girls love them filled with straw). It is still moulting season it seems as Rose has been moulting for weeks and weeks now. I thought she had stopped but more feathers are appearing in the run. Luckily she doesn't seem bothered about it in the least. Have a lovely weekend.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Any time ,
Desmond is still roosting outside in the run , with Scramble , Moe , Goldie and Club and a few others.
Joan is on her own in the run roosting , tough flock , the Essex branch .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

now that sounds like a good idea Amber )t' i put the plastic drawers from the plastic filing cabinet around for the girls, too big for the cube but fine for the Peds house but of course they have all stubbornly refused to use it {rofwl}