Mallard's 2012 Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Re: Mallard's 2012 Diary

Post by HappyBob »

I love to see seedlings emerging this time of year Mallard, hopefully in a few weeks time winter could be a long lost memory )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Lots of seedlings in the poly tunnel now!
I swapped some of my shark fin melon seeds for some 'shingiku' seeds over the allotment forum, a kind of Japanese chrysant with edible leaves, which have already germinated!
My Chinese plot neighbours have given me pak choi seeds bought in Hong Kong which are bigger and hopefully more flea beetle resistant than the usual stuff. Also a few seeds for a kind of Chinese spinach (she couldn't put a name to it) that she says is best stir fried with black bean sauce! )eat(
My crystal lemon cucumbers have come through well in my cold frame, and I noticed today that carrots have germinated in a tub outside! :-D
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Wow. If everything grows that you plant, you are going to have a lot of food! Do you really use it all or do you do a lot of preserving. I envy you your gardens.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Americanlady wrote:Wow. If everything grows that you plant, you are going to have a lot of food! Do you really use it all or do you do a lot of preserving. I envy you your gardens.

On a good year I produce more than I can eat or even preserve, and I have two freezers!
But it doesn't go to waste! The teetotal couple in the flat (apartment) above me are often given bottles of wine, and they like fresh veg! :-D )hic(
Next door to our allotments there's flats especially for the elderly who appreciate fresh veg, one lady arrives on her buggy every year for my gooseberries, two days later she comes back with a pie made with the sort of pastry that's a dying art nowadays! )eat(
Selling allotment produce is against the rules, also against the law for that matter, and it'll get you evicted! yike*
I suppose really the main reason for my garden is the fresh air, exercise and lots of friends! )grin2(
- Pablo Picasso
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Mallard wrote:
Selling allotment produce is against the rules, also against the law for that matter, and it'll get you evicted! yike*
(

Morning Mallard,
I thought you were allowed to sell surplus produce to friends, family, "at the garden gate" etc. as long as it wasn't solely for profit, just surplus.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Totally Scrambled wrote:
Mallard wrote:
(

Morning Mallard,
I thought you were allowed to sell surplus produce to friends, family, "at the garden gate" etc. as long as it wasn't solely for profit, just surplus.
Dom

Yes, that's generally accepted, but the law was never amended, and it would be impossible to police anyway. It's a sore point at the moment as our association are in the process of evicting someone for blatantly growing for the local market! {warn}
But for me it was never intended as a money maker, even though I could have sold shark's fin melons last season to the Chinese for large sums of cash; they ended up feeding me takeaways for them instead! )eat(
- Pablo Picasso
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wonderful pictures as always Mall, I love seeing all your hard work come to fruition )t' :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

The tunnel has lots of seeds just popping through in the glorious sunshine today!
Rhubarb growing round the pond; I'm almost sure I spotted frog spawn in there today! +confused+
All prepared and waiting!
I really don't understand the young guy in the next plot, he seemed so enthusiastic, but he's had two letters, if its like this on the next inspections he'll lose it! {warn}
- Pablo Picasso
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Beautiful, Mallard! :-D
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

You are such a hard worker and good gardner, you are also very generous. Kudos to you.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Americanlady wrote:You are such a hard worker and good gardner, you are also very generous. Kudos to you.

Thanks for your kind remarks, but it's not actually hard work when you have lots of time! )t'
- Pablo Picasso
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wonderful pictures Mall :-D you're an inspiration :-D

Shame about the plot next door, wonder why they're not using it properly? +confused+
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Like the look of your plot Mallard,shame the person next to you is not working there plot as lots of people waiting ,long lists hear in Norfolk.
As you so rightly say its not hard work when you have all day )t' I sometimes wondered where i found the time to work . :-D
I did sow some Parsnips yesterday and more Red Beet as the wife pickles it as quick as i grow it,peas are through in me gutters ,leaks now popping through in moduals,cabbages and caulies soon ready to go out .
If i may ask when do you sow your Runner beans in greenhouse for planting out ,was lucky last year was told i was 3/4 weeks to early but no late frosts so had an early harvest )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Hello bilnorfolk, I grow my runners in the polytunnel first, but I lost some last year as I planted them out a bit early. Always useful to have one or two in reserve! :-D
I use St. George runners, originally for the bee friendly flowers, but I've read since that they are the RHS top cropper! Tasty too! )eat(
- Pablo Picasso
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

I noticed this morning I have a tray full of lemon grass seedlings! :-D I can almost taste the stir fries! )eat(
My cape gooseberries (physalis) have germinated, they were seeds taken from Has Da and son of morris fruit mark downs! )grin2(
- Pablo Picasso