Dickie's Diary 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Dickie's Diary 2012

Post by Richard »

Much going on now and the last few days showers, although meaning yourself getting wet, have been most beneficial.

My Onions are at last starting to show through as are the Carrots.

I'm not far off preparation for the Bean Poles but having a bit of a battle against a family of Pigeons who have taken a fancy to my Garden.

Broad Beans...

[center]Image[/center]

Lots of things...

[center]Image[/center]

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Very precise Richard 'lots of things' - does that mean you forgot to label them and are having to wait for them to shoot before you know which from t'other ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

I like the wire basket over the broad beans, that should keep them safe from your marauding pigeons. I have a couple of pots I forgot to label, so I'll have to wait till the come up. :oops:
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Richard

Post by Richard »

hehe.....Runner Beans, French Beans, Courgettes, Squash, Tomatoes, Cucumber, Peppers and more stuff, can't be done going up to have a look, just cut the grass and no more gardening this weekend !!

Tomorrow rest day and website stuff.

Oh, last weekend I sowed the Beetroot Seeds between the Runner Bean Poles, they always do famously there.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Thats better , thank you Richard {hug}
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Richard

Post by Richard »

It's rock and roll time down the Lane.

Between work and seeing Leo (my son by the way!!), managed to get the Bean Poles up (see the Beetroot rows running along the Middle).
The other sticks are marking out where the Sweet Corn will be going for the Three Sisters.

[center]Image[/center]

The clump of Bread Baskets is not just a heap, they're protecting the Onions from Cat Toilet!!

Richard
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

There is something about seeing bean poles , whether in straight rows or wigwams that I find very reassuring that Summer is around the corner )t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

I agree.

Was a bit upset though when Mimi, the older Cat, decided to unleash about three packets of Kit-e-Kat from her rear end in a neatly scraped hole between Row A., Pole's 2 & 3.

I've only got to touch a Fork or Rake and they're there ready and waiting.

yike*
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I love to see a row of bean-poles too. It reminds me of my Grandad's very precise vegetable garden. After he retired, his garden became his full time job, and everything was carried out with complete precision & attention to detail. The taste of a still-warm tomato takes me straight back to his greenhouse thirty years ago!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's nice LBF. Those are the types of memory which stick.

I would so love to show and tell my Grandparents how they've inspired me and although I seemed completely uninterested at the time, it came good in the end!

Richard )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

My ex's old Mum lived in a council house which had a whopping back garden, so long with a path down the middle. The top 1/4 was for sitting in and this was screened off with trellis from the working garden , which was packed full of straight lines of veggies and a huge strawberry bed - it was a garden of great joy and inspiration. The only draw back was the most beautiful lilac trees which grew at the botto m of the garden, as Violet was a VERY superstitious lady and wouldn't allow lilac blossom to be carried through the house as it brought bad luck, so I never did have a vase full sitting on my dresser.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Like that Annie )t'

Well, I got home this afternoon and had a look down the garden.

Richard
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

And is it still there ?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yes, I just looked at it.

:-D :-D :-D
Richard

Post by Richard »

Lot's done today.

Carrots and Onions - Onions not going very well, too soaked by recent rain I think. Carrots doing OK., but all three pots are second sowings due to slugs. Still another two pots to sow..

Three Sisters - All Sweet Corn planted out with five Courgettes. Only one French Bean out so far as they're a bit small yet.

Squash, Runner Beans and Beetroot - Planted out the Squash today (five plants in total). The Runner Beans are flying, but sowed more Beetroot between poles today as the first sowing didn't take..

Broad Beans - Doing OK., they always look straggy don't they! Nasturtiums there as sacrifice to black fly (moved the pot - it's too close at present)..

In the Greenhouses everything is OK with exception of two Cucumber Plants which didn't make it - the other two are fine. 20 Tomato Plants all OK as is Lettuce, Peppers and Chilli's.

Richard