Madmums growing attempts

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
vegalot
Lively Laner

Re: Madmums growing attempts

Post by vegalot »

madmum wrote:Can anyone suggest a frugal way to label seeds?I know some use lolly stick but i dont have any!

I'll be using the spare slats from a venetian blind this year, I've cut them into 8" lengths and will write on them with a marker pen. :-D
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
recoil
Learner Laner

Post by recoil »

I saw someone using wooden clothes pegs on TV the other day which seemed like a good idea because you can clip them onto pots.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I like that idea too :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

vegalot wrote:
madmum wrote:Can anyone suggest a frugal way to label seeds?I know some use lolly stick but i dont have any!

I'll be using the spare slats from a venetian blind this year, I've cut them into 8" lengths and will write on them with a marker pen. :-D

using old plastic VB,s are a great idea. I have been using them for the last few years, I mark usin a pencil and because the surface of the blind, has a slight texture pencil last a long time. If you dismantle an old VB then bunch all the lats up, you can saw through all the lats to the length you require in one go. From a 3ft blind you end up with hundreds if not a thousand or so plant labels.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Thanks peeps )t' I dont have access to venitian blinds....clothes pegs though..... )t'
My peas are growing!!!!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Cut yoghurt pots up into strips. I do it all the time
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Good thinking that woman )t' Son has just put in an order for more yoghurts )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Well ......my peas and aubergines are growing away happily in the utility room )t' I think i will put in some more peas so we have a succession for harvesting.I must admit to being a bit worried since we do all our growing in raised beds and pots and we are on target for a hose pipe ban in our area {cry}Can you use the water retaining granules that i have used in flower baskets in veggie pots ?I think i am going to have to use them if we have to watch the water.I wont be able to grow thirsty sweetcorn if we do have one .....it needs frequent watering!!!!!!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I've never used them for veg as wouldn't trust it. BUT on looking at the side of the packet it says nothing about it not being OK so I presume its alright to be used for veg
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Hi Madmum .. I always put a layer of water retaining crystals in pots, containers and raised beds regardless of what I'm going to plant in them .. )t' .. I saw on the news last night that parts of England are officially in a drought .. hard to believe how 2 areas of Britain can be so different.. our reservoirs are overflowing :?
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Wales is known for its over flowing resevoirs )j; I shall have a try with them then )t'
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Ok so my 1st lot of peas are now 4 inches high and will be ready to go into pots in the greenhouse this weekend,i planted some more so i have a succession growing.......My purple carrots went in yesterday,they will be kept in the utility room like my peas and i will transfer them to the outside bed when it is warm enough,I know they don't like being moved but hopefully they will be ok!!!!I must get on and sort out the raised beds to plant out next month )t'
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

madmum wrote:Ok so today i have promised myself that when i have hoovered upstairs i will dig out the propagators from my mothers (redundant!!)greenhouse and wash them down to put my seeds in in the utility room.I think it will be light enough and warm enough in there,I just have to stop the cat from diving in there while i am ironing!!!
I managed to get some modular seed trays from a "pound"shop near us to put in the propagators so each plant can grow its own root system and to hopefully make transplanting easier when the time comes.Can anyone suggest a frugal way to label seeds?I know some use lolly stick but i dont have any!
I am off to read my veggie book!!!!!

Morning Madmum from one Norfolk dumpling to another )t' ,next time you in the pound shop or Asda 40 plastic labels £1 or £2 with the marker.Once your seeds have germinated in the propergator leave the lid off,dont forget to turn them as they grow towards the light.I have just repoted my Tomatoes and put a piece of foil behind to reflect the light stops them getting lanky,will put a picture on my diary a little later .Good luck Bill )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Thanks for that )t' i am calling into Asda today so i will have a looksee!!!!!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Thanks Bill!!!!I have some lables and a pencil from our local m&b discount store 49p for 50 )t'
So....aubergines are growing slowly.....1st lot of peas are potted up so they can come in overnight to avoid frost.....bit of a palaver but hopefully they will give me an early crop )t' The second lot of peas are sprouting in the seed trays and the purple carrots are still asleep.I have dug over the raised bed that we used for the sweetcorn,corgettes,peas,beans onions and potatos last year....thought about using a couple of chooks but i would quite like the soil to stay in the bed...they did enjoy the weeds though as did the rabbit!!!!!Next to top up the compost,add some water retaining crystals ,cover with plastic to help warm it up and wait...........for the seeds to plant themselves )j; This year we will not plant potatos....we use too many and they take over our limited space!!!I have dumpy corgettes,squash,carrots,sweetcorn and aubergines to go in there instead.Am impatient to get going :oops: