Jannie's 2012 Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Jannie's 2012 Diary

Post by jannie »

It's hard to believe I'm starting my 3rd DTL diary!! .. where does the time go?? :?

I had planned to take it a bit easier this year as my health hasn't been good......but!!! .....hubby's suggestion !!.. we are going to get rid of the decked area and lay a random patio with raised planters .. I am so excited as I really don't like the decking ..it's slippery in the summer when it's wet but in the winter it is down right dangerous and both of us have ended up on our backs this winter..... It will also mean that I can get rid of the dozens of pots I end up with on the decking and I can grow lots of salad veg, herbs and fruit at a comfortable height ..which will also mean extending my gardening years I hope. :-D

This is the area

We are restricted in what we can do as there is a 10" thick reinforced concrete base left after the garage/workshop was demolished .. but the decking was only ever meant as a temporary fix to let the cottage out quickly when it was a holiday home... and it won't go to waste as we'll use it to build the planters .... Anyway the paving is on order for Feb delivery so more pics will follow )t'

Elsewhere in the garden I have pruned the apple trees and that's it :oops: it really hasn't stopped raining in Wales for months ..but the weather does look dry if a little cold at the end of the week so will make a start digging the veg patches over .. the overwintering onions and garlic are doing well .. they are in the Alice Fowler patch this year and I'm going to put the courgettes, peas and Kale in the raised bed ...
Looking forward to getting going again now ..it's been a miserable winter so far.
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Re: Jannie's 2012 Diary

Post by Kaeta44 »

Good luck with the project - hope everything goes beautifully smoothly.
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Kaeta44 wrote:Good luck with the project - hope everything goes beautifully smoothly.

Thanks )t' .. smoothly !!..that will be a first {rofwl}
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I think decking is over rated too!! Especially when you can better use the space!!!!Look forward to seeing how it goes!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

madmum wrote:I think decking is over rated too!!

)t' ..but you'd be surprised how many people have asked if they can have the boards though .. sorry!! .. but they are the 33mm thick ones so will be perfect for the planters )grin2( ......hopefully the result will be a courtyard enclosed by fruit and veg that you can just reach out and pick >fi<
perchy

Post by perchy »

Jannie }hairout{

you know how much I love you but you really deserve this today :b(

{rofwl}
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Why ???.......haven't you got any ripe tomatoes yet ? :b( {rofwl}
perchy

Post by perchy »

jannie wrote:Why ???.......haven't you got any ripe tomatoes yet ? :b( {rofwl}

NO )gr:

Jannie, that area is beautiful, but I know what you are saying and it will be even more beautiful when you have designed it {hug&kiss}

I need to get planning mine again, have lots of ideas )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I sat down with hubby yesterday and went through the plans for what is to be know as 'the courtyard' .. whilst the cottage was being renovated we had a caravan in the garden which was connected to the main drains .. so we dug around in the stones and found it .. it is in the right place to allow us to put a drainage channel in .. great for cleaning it )t' .. I have drawn a plan for hubby but had a fiddle with photobucket to give you an idea of what the plan is ( first time so don't laugh!! >dum< )

I'm happy as we'll get rid of the path and the straight lines ..can't wait to get started now :-D

I wish the weather would sort itself out as I have flower buds on the giant blackberries ..hope that doesn't mean I won't get fruit this year }hairout{
Going to spread all the seed packets out this afternoon and fill in my sowing calander.. I am itching to start sowing so need to get the greenhouse heater checked then get cracking )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

}hairout{

:b(
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

What's the matter perchykins {hug} ... still no red tomatoes !! {rofwl}...

and by the way you still haven't told us how you managed to beat the rest of us )b( ... are you going to give us some tips this year? I'd love to know what variety you grew??? +f+ +f+
perchy

Post by perchy »

Actually Janniekins, I had my first tomato today +pinn+

I will have a look at the labels, I have them in the greenhouse, somewhere, I have no secrets just first time lucky, I bet I don't have any this year {cry}

Yours will look fab, I really need to get some plans drawn up {rofwl} Lots of ideas, my mind is whirring with them )t'

{hug&kiss}
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Why don't you start your diary ..it will focus your mind )t'

..and we can have a nose at your ideas )grin2(
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Percy
Sing along after me--
--Yes, we have no Tomatoes sile}
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
perchy

Post by perchy »

fishpond wrote:Percy
Sing along after me--
--Yes, we have no Tomatoes sile}

{hug&kiss}