Annie's will I bother diary ?

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Annie's will I bother diary ?

Post by Annie »

Oh dear my little sitting room looks like its got triffids starting off in it - thats going to give Eck something else to moan about on his gardening thread {rofwl}
If my nose would stop needing being blowed all the time I would get on with potting a few things on - but its ease out a seedling, blow my nose, fill a pot with compost,blow my nose, get the seedling in the pot , run out of tissues go into the house, blow my nose - you get the picture }hairout{ maybe tomorrow.
I need to pot on, sweetcorn,cucumber, climbing french beans (they are cobra - is that the black ones - I didnt have the packet just the seed ?) Red and white cabbage, bush type french beans, broad bean (wish I could just put these out but don't trust the weather ).
Still ok in seed trays are celery and a few tomato seedlings.
I have taken a couple of pics and will see if Eck will put them on later.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Has anybody elses seedlings ground to a halt ? Mine just don't seem to be putting any new growth on at all, it doesn't seem to matter if they are in the house or the greenhouse - perhaps I just look at them too often {rofwl}
Parsnips are starting to peep through in the laundry basket )c(
Wish this weather would settle down , temperature wise - its got me all twitchy and not able to decide on what to do next. I want to put my tatties in the ground - think I will just have to bite the bullet .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

Annie wrote:broad bean (wish I could just put these out but don't trust the weather )

My Broads have been planted out for around 3 weeks now, had to fleece them when frost was forcast, only one had some damage, but has started to kick out new growth now.

Annie wrote:Has anybody elses seedlings ground to a halt ?

Mine have just started growing again over the last few days, but you are a bit farther north then me, so perhaps a few more days for you yet :-D
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

Hi Annie, your potatoes should be ok in the ground. It will be warm under the ground for them. We are a lot further south I know, but mine went in a few weeks ago and I noticed I have a row of shoots on one of the rows I put in.
Did you collect your seeds from the post office in the end?
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

little brown hen wrote:Hi Annie, your potatoes should be ok in the ground. It will be warm under the ground for them. We are a lot further south I know, but mine went in a few weeks ago and I noticed I have a row of shoots on one of the rows I put in.
Did you collect your seeds from the post office in the end?

Hello Sue, I decided today was a good day for tattie planting so the ones for my back garden went in , the ones for the veggie garden hopefully this weekend but forecast is heavy rain so I will have to wait and see.
As for the peas at the P.O. it was in fact a notice from the Sheriffs court advising me I was needed for jury duty ! I still haven't got my free peas {cry} .

I did buy a reduced in price, ex display ,big cloche today, its made of the same stuff as the little walk in greenhouses you see everywhere and I reckon it will just about cover the space on my raised bed that isn't already planted. Hopefully I can get some stuff out of the greenhouse and into the cloche and then I can move stuf from the house to the greenhouse phew .
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

After a will we , won't we half hour , the sun came out yesterday chasing the rain away and so my friend and I went out to the veg patch and planted the raised bed up with red onion,white onion, shallots and garlic think we will call that the pungent bed and also managed to get two rows of potatoes in . Her husband came over 3 times to see how we were doing }hairout{ I think because he rough dug it for us he thinks he knows about the garden - huh.
Today at home, I have moved a gooseberry bush - maybe it will be ok maybe it wont , but it was in the girls garden and they have already seen the other two bushes off so it wouldnt have survived much longer anyway. Then I moved stuff from the house into the greenhouse and stuff from the greenhouse into the big cloche so I can move in the little sitting room a bit better but can't breathe out in the greenhouse. I have sown rocket and mixed cut and come again salad leaves and will start them off in the greenhouse along with some garlic I am starting off also. Looks like I am bothering after all {rofwl} .
Have I said that the parsnips have eventually come through )c( ?
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Wow you were busy. I've been wondering if I should move anything into my cloche's. One will have sweet peppers and the other aubergines when they are all big enough.
We went down on Saturday, and I have a new tree - pear, Im going down to plant it tomorrow. Keep up the good work. )t'
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Piccies )c(
Image New cloche closed
Image New cloche opened
Image Inside new cloche
Image Onions already planted in bed
Image Naughty Lottie {warn}
Image Potato patch (covered from cats)
Image Spring corner
Image Parsnips )c(
Image All sorts of seedlings
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I really like that cloche Annie )t' .. I use polytunnel tubing and a polythene sheet but I have to take the cover off and it's a real pain .. I think I should have another birthday pressie from myself :-D
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Blimy you have bothered havent you Annie )t' looks as though your well on with the growing season. I especially like your sprring corner.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Some things are giving me hope but as usual others are disappointing me. Sweetcorn ,legumes,onions,garlic , sweet peas, sunflower cosmos all good,courgette,squash, tomatoes and pepper ok but slow and all the brassicas have died off . I will start again with caulis and some cabbage this weekend hope I am not too late. I have nothing left in the house now , its all out either, under the cloche , in the greenhouse or in the 2 mini greenhouses up against the house, I have just got to hope now that that is enough protection as we have very low temperatures forecast over the weekend.
Actually thinking about it the spuds in bags and tubs, carrots and parsnip are all doing well too but they are all still in the greenhouse.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Annie, I know how you feel as I am losing enthusiasm for things that have failed too. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Well I was right about the low temperature last night and my plants have sufferered }hairout{ . The climbing beans have lost the first set of leaves but the next lot are just coming out and the growing tip is unaffected so I brought them into the greenhouse from the cloche as its a bit better protected. Seedling cabbage dead about 3 types and no cauliflowers.
Even the pansies in the pots looked a bit shell shocked this morning.
Today I went up to the veggie garden at the smallholding , the 1st row of peas are just showing through and the red and white onions are starting as are the shallots but the garlic looks dormant still. I have loads of garlic started at home in the greenhouse so enough to share with my friend if these others fail. I sowed a row of peas - the Birds Eye freebies and a row of broad beans seeds and half a row of King Edward spuds but have left most of the spuds for my friend to plant - not doing it all myself ! Then it was home for a bit of digging and a bit of potting on and a bit of emergency sowing - more cabbage and courgette . Falling over my own feet in the greenhouse now as all shelves are full and stuff is having to sit on the floor for now - its a bit annoying as only yesterday I had a lot of space before I had to bring things back in again !
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

This weather is a nightmare isn't it Annie. Its so frustrating not being able to plant out. My cauliflowers are looking good in the plastic greenhouse, but we're on holiday at the end of next week, and I just hope they'll survive till we get home. The weathers got to warm up soon, hasnt it, though the Express said its here till June! I did plant my Clarkia plants out today, but Im not sure how well they'll do. :?
I like your cloche, mine just has a curved zipped bit on both sides. It has some netting that is zipped beneath the covering, but both cloches got blown over last weekend and the net on one of them got torn, so I'll have to do some sewing! }hairout{
Keep on planting, we'll be moaning we cant keep up with the produce in a month or so. :-D
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

This weather really needs to warm up, today was sunny and a bit breezy but I wouldn't say all that warm.
I had started broad beans off in pots but they were getting pot bound and starting to not grow straight so I have planted them in my little raised bed which isnt where they were meant for but having lost the climbing french beans a few days ago I didnt want to lose these too so >fi< they will grow stronger now their roots can spread a bit.
Lost all of the butternut squash , think I have a few more seeds but not sure if its not a bit late - still the weather isnt performing to expectations so I suppose there isn't much to lose by sowing them. I have never known my tomayto and pepper seeds not grow - they arent dead but still tiny with only either 2 or 4 leaves - looks like a trip to the garden centre for toms at least . Potatoes in the garden are just showing through since the weekend and the parsnip,carrot and spuds in the greenhouse look good. Garlic is obliging too - still think I am growing just to make soup !