Annie's will I bother diary ?

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Annie's will I bother diary ?

Post by Annie »

Ooh de ja vous }hairout{
Remember last year when I lost hope because at the smallholding shared garden , the teenage daughter had dumped the winters stable muck in the middle of the veg patch? Well guess what she has been allowed to do it again {mr.angry} .
I thought I had explained thoroughly enough that new muck would damage tender roots and that was a good part of the reason all the carefully grown on (by me) plants bit the dust but it appears it didn't sink in.
My friend and I had decided to build raised beds at the bottom of the plot as the ground was so stoney and full of fine conifer roots and the bed we built last year did do reasonably well with cabbage . I know she is going to say we can put this muck at the bottom of the beds ( though I hope she isn't thinking I am going to do the donkey work again ) but I still think it needs another 6 months maturing. There is another muck heap from last summer and that would be fine to use but can you imagine the work involved ,barrowing the stuff about - fine for a young chap - but no way can I do it.
So while I admire all of you who have started your plots for this year, even if its only on paper, for me its still a big decision as to if I am going to bother or not.
I will do toms,lettuce, a few runner beans in the little bed at home but that may just be enough.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Annie's will I bother diary ?

Post by rhubarb93 »

Oh, what a shame! Understand how you feel, though. I did a few weeks with a community allotment project before I got my own, and lost patience with the lady who walked backwards watering leeks and treading on the ones behind her as she went!
Communal gardening seems like a good idea, but often has problems in practice. I can't even work with my OH, we have such different approaches, so he has the garden and I have the allotment - we can each do our own thing.
Good luck with whatever/wherever you grow.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

There's no educating some people is there }hairout{ .. whatever you decide Annie .. be it the plot or the little bed ..looking forward to reading your Scottish diary )t'
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

It sounds like you'd be better off sticking to your beds at home.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I could have written the same title myself Annie. Hopefully I will get inspired again soon though.

I hope you do manage to grow some lovely veg somewhere this year though. {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

p.penn wrote:I could have written the same title myself Annie. Hopefully I will get inspired again soon though.

I hope you do manage to grow some lovely veg somewhere this year though. {hug}

You too Helen , I think we should make a pact that this year we will keep it simple eh ?

Thanks everyone for your support )t'
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Yes, keeping it simple does sound like a good idea. For several years I have tried to grow celeriac - it never gets to any decent size. I'm coming round to the idea of just growing what does well here. Some things are just more effort than they are worth. And what with the cost of seeds, hours of time input etc, it makes sense to be selective.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Two months down the line and I feel more positive. Went to a little garden centre that stock a range of seed called Country value - they sell for 89p a pkt. They are still produced by one of the big seed merchants but the pkt is quite plain in comparison to the named merchants and the contents are less, but do you know what , that means less left over or wasted. I then text my friend told her I had got seed to raise as plants, that there would be enough for us both but I wasn't going to dig the patch this year as I am too achey to tackle it and she has replied that her son and pal will be doing it for us - not holding my breath just wait and see.
I have bought ;
white onion sets
Deriree spuds
cauliflower
peas
runner and broad beans
carrot
salads
spring onion
tomato
courgette
rhubarb root ( my lovely rhubarb has been demolished by chooks as it was planted in their bit of the garden)
sweet peas
marigold
cosmos
nasturtuiums
lupin.
If the weather holds until this afternoon I will start greenhouse clearance - why do we use our greenhouses as a winter dumping ground , I always say its not going to happen but then........................?
There you go Helen , I am going to keep you company )t'
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Good luck with the planting Annie )t'

Totally agree about the greenhouse dumping ground, I've still to clear ours out after moving the rabbits hutch out, it's less than pretty in there since the rabbits got the run of it all through the winter.
Will think of you clearing out yours when I start on mine.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I haven't got any further yet Annie! We have a good weather forecast for the next week, so am anticipating getting a few seeds sown and hopefully the onions. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Sounds like a plan Annie )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Whatever you do, Annie, just enjoy yourself~ :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

You are well on the way now Annie, am sure you will do really well, does your greenhouse look like mine? pic on my thread yike*
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

perchy wrote:You are well on the way now Annie, am sure you will do really well, does your greenhouse look like mine? pic on my thread yike*

Ha ha ha Perchy, wish it did - looks like you have finished the job ! The unit I wanted to get out of the greenhouse to put into the little sitting room for my seeds just had to be in the far corner and being too impatient to stack everything tidily today , I am sure with one gust of wind the whole lot will come tumbling down.
I did far too much standing and thinking today but at least as Perchy would say I have now got a plan (or should that be Helen or maybe both )
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Anybody got an idea what I can plant in a bit of ground going spare ? Its about 12 ft x 4 ft and runs alongside our fence line ( fence is a slat fence 6ft tall). It used to be on the road side of our garden and nothing really grew in it but when we had a new fence put up we decided to enclose this strip. Its clay soil and quite stoney, I have started hoicking the huge stones out and have also begun to dig in some of the used woodchip from the Walk-in-Run. Last year I put a few runner beans in but they didn't do great shakes, its no use for flowers really as they would be behind the wheelie bins so not on view. No good for root veg because of the stones , though I did wonder if I continue to dig woodchip etc in ,if tatties would be ok there - any thoughts ?