Annie's will I bother diary ?

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Annie's will I bother diary ?

Post by Annie »

Collecting my friend from tesc@ today , I had a look round their plants, all bone dry of course but they had tomato plants for 15p so I got 2 Moneymaker and 1 Alicante, they have had a good drink and look fine - 100% better than the ones I am trying to grow anyway - so at least I will have something to go with my cheese sandwiches .
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

HOORAY A SUNNY DAY AT LAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lots done but slowly I am afraid - my brain works quicker than my body these days - I always think I will get this,this, and this done but never achieve it {rofwl}
Today I sectioned of the tatties from the dogs and hopefully cats; dug over a patch and planted a couple of dozen onions that had started in greenhouse;finished planting the odd 6 broad beans left from the other day;finished off planting in the raised bed by putting in 4 courgette - they look tiddly but courgettes are usually fighters so >fi< ;put in my canes for the runner beans )c( (that means summers on its way);made up a long trough planter with a hotch potch of strawberries,garlic, pansy and nasturtians; potted up some garlic on their own; jiggled things around in the greenhouse - some are now out in the mini greenhouses , they will harden off a bit in there; moved a compost bag with tatties in out of the greenhouse into the sheltered bit by the raised bed; weeded one flower border;cut the grass back and front - not as big a job as it sounds as just two patches really. Really hope the dry fine weather continues as I feel I could be on a roll )t'
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I am such a scaredy cat - so many things look good in the greenhouse and mini greenhouses and I am wimping about putting them out. Decided that the things in the mini greenhouses can tough it out but still protecting the sweetcorn, cucumber and french beans in the proper greenhouse. The parsnips in the washing basket and the carrots in the rhino bucket are sitting out now as are all the tatties started in the greenhouse . I have planted 3 runner beans and 3 climbing french beans about 3 days ago and they are fine so I really must take the plunge and get planting . I will have to get more compost and fill some of the pots too. Eck has striped pallets down and fenced off a bit of garden behind he wheelie bins for me to put veggies in, I took Helens advice and started some squash off but they came to nothing so think I will put courgette,celery and cucumber in and see how they go. I have got cucumber, runner and french beans and the sweetcorn that is for the veggie garden at my friends but will leave that until the end of the week as I have Thurs- Weds off and so will my friend and maybe we can get working together.
perchy

Post by perchy »

I am the same, my mind is saying this first then that, and then I spot something else }hairout{ I will put mine out if you do!!

You will have alot of produce, sounds great {hug}
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Have just been up to the veggie garden and was pleased to see the peas and broad beans doing well , potatoes showing well too and shallots and onions also putting on growth so looking promising. The one thng that made me go }hairout{ was other tatties popping up in places they had been sown the previous year, there must be about 8 dotted about - how has that happened when the garden was double dug ? I have taken up climbing and bush french beans to plant along with runner beans, courgette,cabbage,cucumber,sweet corn, sun flowers and sweet peas so that should keep us out of mischief for a while ! Going on Friday as both my friend and I are off from school (she is a teacher). At home I have got some sweet peas in at last, planted tubs with mixtures of toms,cucumbers marigold and geranium so hoping for pretty and practical. The broad beans are in flower so looking forward to them.

I have just read this back and it read that I have just taken up climbing yike* {rofwl}
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I didnt get everything planted out at the veggie garden but runner beans, climbing french beans,bush french beans,courgette,cucumber and the sunflowers are all in. Need more canes for sweet peas so that scuppered me and my friend is going to ask her son to build another raised bed for the cabbages - dont hold your breath. Its looking quite like a veggie garden now with lots of nicely weeded straight lines - until you look a little more closely and one of those rogue spuds makes an appearance . Got the leeks yesterday but after I had been to the garden so if I have time will pop up for an hour tomorrow to put them in.
Worked in the garden at home today, put some more bedding plants into the little bed in the front garden and filled lots of tubs for outside Mums window with,dahlias,pansy,begonia and geranium. The new planter that Eck made last week now has 3 white and 4 red cabbage,6 celery plants , 12 leeks and a row of radish in - really pleased with it too. I got two long planters fronm £stretchers that had broken corners so were reduced to half price and I have used one for some left over bush french beans and the other for perpetual spinach - at least that is what I think it is , it was given to me by one of the Dads who couldn't quite remember what it was ! Its all starting to look promising so all I have to do now is keep >fi< that the weather doesn't let me down.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Well done Annie, I seem to have done alot and got nowhere, how many tomato plants do I need, lots of potting up and on will definately take some pictures tomorrow,.

I love planting up the flowers, they make an instant lift to the garden, and I am sure or Mum likes to see them too )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, well done Annie - all sounding good, {hug} Better than me! :oops:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

It stopped raining eventually last night so after I put the chickens to bed , I brought the camera out and took some pics of my jungle - 10.30 at night so had to use a flash on some
The tall thing shooting up by the greenhouse is last years coriander it looks like a tree !
New raised bed Eck built with cabbage,celery and leek
Runner beans and the original raised bed still with its cover on - must take that off
Parsnip in the laundry basketImage
Tatties - King Edwards
Flower bed and badly needing cut grass
Cabbage everywhere but nowhere to plant them out
Weeds weeds weeds
Climbing french beans in rhino tub
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Look what I found - wonder if they will get any bigger ?
Broad beans.
I also found Mountbatten rose - smells really beautiful
When I had a cup of tea at Lomond shores I decided on Earl Grey which has hints of bergamot and this is the one growing in my garden
perchy

Post by perchy »

Lovely pictures Annie, the rose looks gorgeous and am sure the beans will get bigger >fi<
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Lovely pictures - people might be short on actual crops this year but things are growing well with the rain aren't they.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

julie62 wrote:Lovely pictures - people might be short on actual crops this year but things are growing well with the rain aren't they.

You are right Julie, my garden is full of tall greenery though not a lot of colour apart from the roses dotted about, I keep saying to myself that someone from a dry arid country would probably think all this greenery wonderful {rofwl}
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Annie, the first picture is great, the cloud looks like a huge wave. As if it will break and put even more water all over your garden.
[center][/center]Davina
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I did a bit of weeding at the veggie patch but was just up for a look see really. I picked some pea pods because the plants look to be going over, the peas haven't grown much so think best if used in a salad as they won't stand being cooked . Broad beans standing tall and proud but flowers don't look like they have set. Runner beans promising. One lot of sweetcorn promising too but other lot look sick . Dug a couple of tatties up but they aren't producing much either - this really is a poor year.
Went home and did a lot of weeding around the raised bed and at back of garden its full of buttercup and ground elder so I know I am fighting a losing bacttle but you have to try to keep on top of it a bit. Pulled up the peas and broad beans in the raised bed may have enough to make dinner tomorrow tasty and following advice from Helen and Homemade , my intention is to plant a few cabbage from where I have just cleared the beans. Found a courgette under the broad beans and its got flowers on )c( and the onions are growing - wont be massive but good enough I think.