Helen's veggie attempts 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
p.penn

Re: Helen's veggie attempts 2012

Post by p.penn »

No probs Mrs Boodles!!

I would have had a better crop last year Al, but although I was keen to start with, grew them on in a pot with no proper support which ruined them. :? They were small ones which were perfect for me.

I forgot I need to plant spring onions too. Don't know why really as I rarely eat them, but at least they grow.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Have to confess I usually buy cucumber plants from the garden centre, they are always the female only plants . I am the only one that eats cucumber so sowing seeds and ending up with too many plants to tend with unwanted fruits on is a bit counter productive. Helen I planted spring onions last year and thought how pathetic they looked so about Sept time I went along and hoicked them all out , only to find lovely bulbs growing under the surface - what a numpty {rofwl}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

I grow crystal lemon cucumbers from seed, they're a lot smaller, and tasty so you don't end up with half a soggy cucumber in the fridge! :?
They're not too bad on repeating either! :oops:
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am trying at the moment, not to buy stuff for the garden. It is soooo tempting working in the garden centre, but, as much as possible, I really want to spend this season utilising seeds plants and pots that I have and not buying too much!!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yippeeeeeeeee! my first seeds have germinated! One yellow courgette and a delikates squash. )c( I need to pop them somewhere cooler now as, once through, they grow like mad! Still not at all sure where they are going to be planted out though. :?

I took the fleece off my onions today, and am still puzzling over why so many of the flipping onions had been pulled up. >coc< That is why I put a fleece on this year. }hairout{

Went to wilcos yesterday to get some cheap parsley and lollo rosso seeds, but they only had flat parsley and no lollo at all. Ho hum.

I weeded my tubs with my black & red currants in - looking ok actually. I may have lost one of my strawberry tubs this year, but the plants were very old. I don't get a good crop anyway, really just the odd one for the kids to pick :-(

I nearly bought raspberry canes yesterday, but they travel don't they? Could they be tubbed?
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Gosh, I'm on a roll now! Have planted some salad leaves - not my usual as I seem to have run out of them though. }hairout{ These ones are T&M Bright & Spicy, so I'll have to see. I usually sow S/tons speady seeds salad leaves - Cos mix, which are excellent. I may buy some seeds at work tomorrow.

I have also cleared out the mini greenhouse....put the shelves back in and have relegated my daughter's boot racks (which she used to sell) to the log heap. I hope no-one burns them by mistake. {rofwl}

I have utilised some of the compost out of the chicken poo composter just to mix with old potting compost. Looks ok, but only time will tell. Have cleared the table under the lounge window and am going to put my trailing toms on it this year as they helped collapse the log store last time. :?

Just altogether feels as if I am making a proper start now. )c(
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ah ha! Since yesterday a couple more courgettes/squash have germinated - it really makes me laugh - they pop up so quickly it's surreal, almost like a children's programme.... {rofwl}

Have bought a couple of packs of seeds today - parsley (moss curled 2) and speedy salad leaves (Coz). I nearly bought the lollo rosso....I will think about it. I have planted the parsley and will try to do the lettuce today or tomorrow.

No sign of any of my other seeds - toms, lovage & leeks germinating yet. :?

At the end of last season I was given a lovely herb/strawberry pot - it is quite a nice large one. I already have 2 strawberry pots doing not very well, so I am going to do herbs I think this year. I am going to plant my pot of mint (pot and all) in the top, but not sure what to put round the outside. I usually grow parsley in watering cans, so perhaps some sage...but there are 6 holes to fill and I don't want to spend a fortune. Also, I really only use certain herbs...mint, parsley, coriander and basil being the main ones. They won't do well in a pot like that I don't think. }hairout{

Nice cup of coffee I think......... )c(
Helen xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Helen you must plant some thyme, even if you don't use it in the kitchen, there are so many different types and differing colours it would make the pot pretty and its tough too. Another one I like is lemon balm though that can get a bit thuggish but thats good cooked with tomato or fish.
My courgette and squash are through and nearly at the ceiling but I am scared to put them in the greenhouse as I know this weather isn't going to hold !
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hello everyone and a big sorry for not updating sooner! To be honest I think it has been a combination of things, the weather (yes! LET'S BLAME THE WEATHER!!), starting my summer job and, well, life taking a hectic turn in general. Anyway, here I am and here is what is happening on the veggy front!

The plants on my lounge windowsill are diminishing as I pop them into the mini greenhouse, which is currently looking a bit like a jungle!

The 3 squash plants (butternut, delikates and dumpling) and courgettes are massive, but there is no way I am planting them out yet. Tomatoes are....ermmmm....plentiful, to say the least! I have a few from work to add to the several score that I planted from seed. }hairout{ I must freeze them again if I get any ripe ones.

Herbs are still seedlings but doing ok. I will have a windowsill full of basil and coriander in a few weeks, and the parsley and lovage seedlings will last me all summer.

I obtained a few huge runner bean plants from work today, but I am not sure if I can grow them on successfully untilt hey can be planted out. I weeded the patch to accomodate them before I realised it was far too early. }hairout{

Talking about weeding, I had a million trillion horsetails in my teeny patch today. {cry} I hoed them and although I know this is inadequate to say the least, it will have to do for now.

My last year's redcurrants (in tubs) are doing really well - loads of currants, whereas my blackcurrants ( bought at the same time) are looking good but not many currants. }hairout{

My hundreds of carrot seedlings, in raised bed one, are now reduced to about 3. Slugs? Snails? I am fed up and may replace them with pansies. However, bed 2, with parsnips, seems reasonably ok.

My small quince tree (planted last year) is full of blossom, so maybe a gallon of wine from that? My rhubarb is lush and plentiful at present - must use it or lose it!

I have a tray of salad leaves which are doing well, as are onions and garlic in the patch. Haven't planted beetroot yet, which I think will be my last effort this year.

It all sounds so good, but I am struggling!!! Also, my camera has run out of battery, so if you will bear with me, will post pics in a day or two.
Helen xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Helen why does the wording I obtained sound illicit to me ? {rofwl}
You have lots going on and seemed more organised than last year - maybe because you haven't tried to do too much ? I guess things like the currant bush and the quince help too, its lovely to have something like that which comes again each year. Does the quince have an orangey red blossom , I seem to recall one from my childhood planted in the front garden between us and the neighbours ? As for weeds of the horsetail type - we know that they should be got rid of completely but I for one dont have enough time to do a thorough job so do the same as you and hoe the worst of it out. Good on you sounds like your doing well.
Perchy is going to be cross about the pics though >stir<
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Here is a pic of my quince blossom - you are thinking of Japanese quince which I believe is just decorative.

I went a bit mad with the camera, so here are just a few pics of how it's going

Redcurrants - loads of currants on way!

Salad leaves 2 weeks ago

I took them out of the mini greenhouse yesterday to make space, so I hope they will be ok. Look at them now!

Tomatoes and squash in my mini greenhouse. It's bursting at the seams.

Rhubarb - all those weeds just appeared virtually overnight! It will only take a few mins to do, but not today!

Helen xx

hel
Lively Laner

Post by hel »

What variety is your redcurrant? It looks like you will get lots from it! Everything looks like it's growing well, much better than my attempts!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

It's Rovada - I bought two bushes last year from the garden centre where I work. I got quite a few currants off them last year too considering they were new, mind you, I bought them as I knew they had lots on them!

I also bought 2 blackcurrant bushes at the same time, although I am not sure how any of them will cope long term in pots. Also I didn't prune at all during the winter and I think I should have.
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Most of my beans and 40 plus carrot seedlings in my raised bed have vanished. }hairout{

The slugs, snails and weeds seem to have come to life in a big way and I am really not sure I have the energy to confront them as I should. I can't use pellets or weedkiller because of my dog anyway, but also can't just have a garden full of weeds. }hairout{

Why don't slugs eat weeds?

Why don't dogs eat weeds and slugs? :?
Helen xx

perchy

Post by perchy »

Lovely pics Helen and Blue sky, I can just imagine being there again {hug}

Not sure what has happened to the carrots, I didn't know slugs ate the carrot tops, what about orange and grapefruit skins on there with some beer in, just to see how much of a problem you have with them?