Helen's veggie attempts 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
p.penn

Re: Helen's veggie attempts 2012

Post by p.penn »

Now it's too hot for gardening! {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Helen, its been 3 weeks since you posted and the only thing you can say is its too 'ot {warn}
Its too 'ot for me too {rofwl}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl} My heart just isn't in it this year. I am trying to get enthusiastic, and must get my toms and squash/courgettes planted.

Then at least the slugs and snails will have something to eat.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I think you should award yourself a year off - go fallow like they do on farms and say I am not doing it this year. You're such a busy person Helen, especially now your back at the garden centre , its better to make the decision than to end up tired and frustrated because you dont have the time or the energy to keep on top of the veggie patch. Put some bright flowers in pots and admire them instead {hug} . Then next year come back with a vengeance
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh Annie! {hug} You are a mind reader!!!

I was only thinking today that there just are not enough hours in the day!!! now if I am truthful, it is more that there are not enough hours to put energy into things that may not materialise!

However, having said that, I have had a bit of a gardening spurt today - several hours in fact, and as well as planting baskets, tubs and feeding/topdressing loads (including my olive tree - that comes under produce, doesn't it? +f+ ) I used home made compost to fill my lovely herb pot that I was given last year. I have mainly filled it with discarded stuff from the garden centre, but also some home grown parsley. I have one spare gap though!

I know it sounds like I have given up, but OMG, you should see my 3 varieties of squash/2xcourgette/5xtomato plants I have still in pots in my mini greenhouse. They look sensational! As does my coriander, basil and further tom plants which are still on my lounge windowsill! I am actually lacking not only the time and energy, but also the bottle to plant them out. My garden seems to be the Costa del sol of the snail/slug world!!! Not to mention whatever it is that has completely curled all the leaves on my blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes }hairout{ I gave them a bit of a spray today ( along with the roses) and hope that does the trick.

I have been eating my salad leaves, but they are so spicy that Guy Fawkes could have used them to destroy parliament without all that gunpowder! Honestly, some of them nearly blew my head off!!

I am hoping to get myself 100% in gear very shortly!
Helen xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Well with your herbs and toms and courgettes you will still be able to put together a dish along with the fiery salad leaves and feel satisfied that its all homegrown . I had begun to say oh well onions and potatoes - at least I can make soup {rofwl}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ha ha ha! I grew special Christmas new potatoes last year - bought a potato planter and everything and then completely neglected them and the tops got killed by frost. }hairout{

Guess what I've got growing now? +f+

Shame I hardly ever eat potatoes really {rofwl}
Helen xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

p.penn wrote:Ha ha ha! I grew special Christmas new potatoes last year - bought a potato planter and everything and then completely neglected them and the tops got killed by frost. }hairout{

Guess what I've got growing now? +f+

Shame I hardly ever eat potatoes really {rofwl}

I am the same Helen +pinn+ . When I was little Mum used to slice new potatoes ,with their skins on , into 1/4" slices and deep fry them - she used to call them scallops - so I dont even eat chips - I eat scallops and eveyone knows they are healthy !
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

We have scallops too Annie .. or if I slice them with a knife they are 'pennies from heaven' )t'

Helen .. You are doing really well considering the demands on your time {hug} .. I count myself lucky that I work at home and look after the grandchildren here too .. so I'm always pottering around and keeping an eye on everything ..... except when I'm swanning off in the caravan of course. :oops: :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

So was I good yesterday or what? )grin2(

When I came home from the garden centre clutching a tub of slug pellets, I decided it was now or never with the patch. So it was now! )c(

I checked the contents of my mini greenhouse, and planted out a butternut squash plant, 2 courgettes, one delikates squash and one dumpling squash. I used some chicken compost in the holes before planting and popped crushed eggshells around the plants afterwards. The only trouble is that they need so much room, that I only had space left for 2 gardeners delight toms and my 4 balconi tom plants too (2 red, two yellow). I have some seedling leeks, which I shall plant out in the next few days as I am sure I can squish them in somewhere.

I also planted 4 tumbling tom tomatoes (2 red, 2 yellow) in some baskets that I had to climb into the almost empty skip at work to retrieve from the bottom. {rofwl} One of the other women staff was completely speechless! Ha ha ha. Nearly had to call for help to get me back out!! {rofwl}

I still have a few plants left, and space in my two raised beds. They didn't do very well last year, so I am just thinking about what to plant in them at the moment. I have planted up my herb planter now, and just need to pop some more parsley into my little vintage watering cans.

I moved the large strawberry planter onto the wooden walkway on the patch to give a bit more all round room for them to grow.

I then sprinkled the patch with slug pellets. The little so and so's managed to eat one of my courgette fruits though, before meeting it's fate on the way home. }hairout{

I have to be very careful with the pellets because of Bailey dog, but luckily, my little patch is fenced off, so...slugs and snails....it's WAR!
Helen xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Put some peas in your raised beds Helen, they grow quickly look pretty and the grandchildren will love picking and eating them fresh from the pod . You are painting a picture of yourself these days - what with trying to beat Bailey to the drivers seat and now upside down showing your frillies in the works skip - you dont want to grow old gracefully do you ? Good on you - disgracefully is always the best way {rofwl} .
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I actually like growing peas Annie and it's a good idea, and yes, the children love picking and eating them. I think the problem is where I have got the beds. Do you remember the drama when I rescued them from work last year? {rofwl} They are a little bit too shady. I have already planted them with carrots and parsnips this year, but they got snail munched. }hairout{

I am a bit half hearted about it all this year - not helped by the ridiculous weather we have been having. Can you believe one of the squashes I planted yesterday has already wilted because I didn't harden it off properly, but for goodness sake it's mid June. }hairout{

On the plus side, when I walked down the garden path this morning and saw all the planted veg, at least I felt it was one job done!

No beetroot planted this year though. {cry}
Helen xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I know Helen its all a bit too frustrating for you at the moment, I can't believe that we are actually getting it slightly better up here this year , certainly not warm and sunny al the time but we aren't being drowned either. Still think peas are worth a try - never grown them but wonder if the mange tout type would work ? Yes definately grow peas - then you can take the kids down the wood searching for pea sticks - thats good fun, especially if you take Bailey , she will go nuts with everyone carrying sticks , she will think they are all for her {rofwl}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl} I think I will give that one a miss if you don't mind {rofwl} {rofwl}

Actually Annie - I thought of you this morning as I was once again attempting to shove her off my car seat! {rofwl}
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, amazingly most of my squash/courgettes are looking strong and healthy. )c( Well, I guess there had to be some good news about my veg eventually!

Also, my little trough of windowsill basil, is looking fab. I have plenty for pesto now. The coriander doesn't look quite as good - it seems to go straggly and to seed far too quickly. }hairout{ The lovage needs planting out.

I planted up my parsley watering cans today - I put parsley in them every year.

I rescued 2 broken spoutless cans from work last week too. I am just waiting for some holes to be drilled in them for me.

This is the rest of my patch - onions and garlic looking ok. Phew! I have also moved the strawberry pots onto the walkway from the patio, so the strawberries don't just go soggy and missed. Sadly, the weeds on the path are really out of control and I just don't seem to have the energy (or ability) to tackle them properly.

Redcurrants looking ok but blackcurrants not so

Red:

Black:

My hanging toms in my reclaimed baskets are looking a bit iffy too. :?

Herb planter establishing nicely

Look how well my quince tree is growing! I only planted it last year! Bit disappointed that there are only 2 quinces this year though, as there was loads of blossom.

Last but not least - this is my potato tub with my christmas dinner new pots in it. )sh
Helen xx