Helen's veggie attempts 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
perchy

Re: Helen's veggie attempts 2012

Post by perchy »

Looking good Helen and the sunshine {hug}

Things are coming along nicely now, and hope you get some holes in the watering cans soon, if you are growing something shallow rooted you could maybe put lots of crocks in the bottom?

{hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, baby steps, but my squashes/courgettes are still alive, and my strawberries, which are in pots, are doing really well. At least I have had 10 or 12 strawberries from one of them, which is better than usual. I think the fact they are in strawberry pots has been their saving grace as they aren't on the ground.

The flipping slugs/snails though - I reckon every one in Sussex is heading over the fields and coming to my teeny patch!

Tomatoes just don't seem to be happening, and after the wonderful show of blossom on my quince tree, I only have 2 this year, which is very disappointing.

On the other hand, I have enough rhubarb to feed an army. :-D But that's easy, it just does it's own thing. I like things like that in the garden as I am basically lazy!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

It's all been really hopeless and I was on the verge of giving up, when I got three unsaleable dahlias from work and brought them home a couple of days ago. I decided to put them in the veg plot to a) fill it up and b) so I could at least harvest some flowers!

I knew it was forecast to pour with rain, so I set to it as soon as I got in from work. I weeded the patch, and tackled one side of the overgrown path too, and two hours later it looked like this (in fact better, as it's not a great pic!)

Then the 'weeds' (weeds are flowers growing in the wrong place aren't they? )grin2( ) got picked and put in a vase!

My courgettes and squash are still alive, but that is about asll, although my first little patty pan is about ready to harvest

I have already picked some strawberries and the handful of blackcurrants. The redcurrants are looking ok too

I have just planted out some leek seedlings into my raised beds (rather late). Tomatoes are very very slow, and the number of slugs/snails is still outrageous despite half a ton of pellets }hairout{

Oh well, we will see.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Helen your weeds are honestly beautiful ( and yes not weeds but recognisable flowers growing in the wrong place) I love- the love in a mist, I bet that self seeded from a plant miles away , my garden is peppered with foxgloves - some the birds have planted for me and some from cultivated ones from a couple of years ago and I have little yellow poppies growing everywhere , why not make the most of the surprises growing in your garden.? As for the leeks being late, well mine have been in a couple of weeks and still look like weeny spring onions {rofwl} .
(ps I thought you had gone off dahlias ?)
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, I haven't grown any this year as I grew white spikey ones for the previous two years (which look fab as cut flowers) but got a bit fed up with them after two summers!!

I must say that to get anything out of my patch this year will be a result, and the dahlias were in flower already, so seemed a great idea!

BTW - my quince tree that I planted last year is huge - about 5 ft across now - but the trunk doesn't seem to be growing upwards >coc< It isn't a dwarf rootstock and I have to sort of crawl under the sopping foliage every day to get to the chicken food bin. }hairout{ Any ideas please?
Helen xx

perchy

Post by perchy »

Move the chicken food bin )run(
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ha ha hahahahaha! I was thinking that this morning, but I refuse. It's the tree that's at fault, not the bin. It was there first. {rofwl}
Helen xx

perchy

Post by perchy »

Can you prune some of it? maybe a picture would help us decide how best to help you {hug}

)grin2(
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, I would cry if I didn't laugh. The slugs/snails have almost completely demolished 2 of the 3 dahlias I planted. This is despite a million trillion zillion slug pellets and crushed egg shells. }hairout{

I am thinking of trying porridge oats, which apparently explode them, but then perhaps I would have rats. :? I also heard that stinging nettles laid around a plant works. Not tried that yet, but I think I will just give in for this year.
Helen xx

perchy

Post by perchy »

Oh Helen it is so disheartening isn't it, I have been having a little look today and the cauli's have been eaten alive and when i have had a peek inside the little cauli's are covered in slug and slug poo }hairout{ looks disgusting, will leave them then give them the chickens to devour
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

p.penn wrote:Well, I would cry if I didn't laugh. The slugs/snails have almost completely demolished 2 of the 3 dahlias I planted. This is despite a million trillion zillion slug pellets and crushed egg shells. }hairout{

I am thinking of trying porridge oats, which apparently explode them, but then perhaps I would have rats. :? I also heard that stinging nettles laid around a plant works. Not tried that yet, but I think I will just give in for this year.

I'm going to make you jealous now Helen )run(

perchy

Post by perchy »

Straight to the naughty step Maggi, and take those beautiful colourful dahlia's with you and the little anenome {hug}
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

yes miss
perchy

Post by perchy »

Maggie1 wrote:yes miss

{rofwl} {rofwl}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Maggie - here are mine {rofwl} {rofwl}

Yours are mere flowers. Mine are art. )grin2(
Helen xx