Sues Vegetable Diary 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Sues Vegetable Diary 2012

Post by little brown hen »

Ive been up to the allotment a few times in the last two weeks. Ive got four beds dug over, and one half done because there are onions and cabbage planted in some of it.
Today we went because John was going to finish boarding the beds on the latest bit of allotment. He is going to make me a new cage for my fruit bed, so he laid out the wood so I could see what he had in mind. Its going to be bigger than I anticipated, but it means I can get some extra fruit bushes. When we got back I photo shopped the cage onto the picture. Its a bit wobbly but it gives the rough idea.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12177179@N ... 868618487/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Sues Vegetable Diary 2012

Post by Annie »

I admire your energy Sue but I can't admire your pic without having to faff with registering Flickr . All sounding good though )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Sorry Annie, I forgot they are marked for family only, I'll go on and sort that, thanks for letting me know. :oops:
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

How neat and tidy!!!!!!Am loving the shed, and the "Walk-in-Run?"
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12177179@N03/?saved=1

Went to the allotment and cut my lavender back, its a bit woody, but it will do well now.
I took out the path that runs through the fruit bed and put it in in the bed to the side, and used dahlia stakes and green rope to mark out the bed so I can get used to it.
I also straighted up a woven cane fence that separated the flowers from the veg. I might put in sweetpeas there. The weather was lovely, over 10degrees, and dry, and I had a nice cup of tea, and a naughty biscuit. I was cycling. :-D
manda

Post by manda »

Looking great Sue )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
perchy

Post by perchy »

Looking good Sue, look forward to following your diary )t'
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Our local gardening store had their Potato Fest last weekend, and I went and bought four bags of seed potatoes,Belle Du Fontenay first earlies, Yukon Gold, second earlies, and mains King Edwards,and Rooster. I haven't grown any of these before, so watch this space as they say. I also bought red onion sets. I'll get the onions planted this week, and start chitting the spuds at the end of the month. I collect my seeds on Thursday, cant exactly remember what I ordered, so it'll be like Christmas. :o)
perchy

Post by perchy »

Ooh how exciting, I am going to get some potatoes soon and store them ready for planting in the new patch )t'
Let us know what seeds you have ordered )t'
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Planted onions this afternoon. We have some on both plots, but some of mine had vanished. Mice I expect, so Ive bought red onion seed and put them in the gaps and made a few more rows. I also took some terracotta pots down because Im going to pot my herbs into them and then bury the pot where I want the herbs this summer. It will stop them spreading where I don't want them. In the winter I can lift them into the greenhouse and put them back out in the spring. The terracotta will allow water to get to the roots- I hope.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Collected my seeds this morning. Hope you're sitting comfortably, and I will begin.
Sweet Peppers, Spinach, tomato, Swede, Leek x 2 types, Pumpkin, butternut squash, sweetcorn, rainbow chard,Aubergine,Beetroot, broccoli, two types of sprouts,Cabbage,Carrots,Cauliflower,courgettes, peas x 2 types, dwarf french beans Canadian Wonder and Safari,Pennyroyal,Oregano, sweetpeas x 3 types, marigold x 3 types, antirrhinum, Aster, alyssum, begonia, gypsophilia, marigold, honesty, gourds.
The veg will be spread between my husbands plot and mine, and also the flowers, but some of the flowers will end up at church especially the gypsophilia. Still, that should keep me out of mischief shouldn't it! )t' :-D
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

)t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Image Ice on the pond.
Went to the allotment last week, and broke the ice on the pond, it was quite thick.
There isnt much to do at the moment, very frustrating because I enjoy going down and having a dig. Roll on Spring.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

The weather is quite warm and sunny, so we headed off to the allotment and dug a trench each, OH managed 2, and I ran out of steam and did one and a half. This is in preparation for potato planting. Ive planted sweet peppers and cauliflowers in the greenhouse on the allotment, and leeks, brussels sprouts and aubergines in my plastic green house at home. They are in heated propagators and there are Brussels sprouts coming up already!
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

My son is staying at the moment, and he came down with us to help dig trenches for potatoes. We got 4 dug on my allotment and four on my husbands. A couple of weeks and we'll be able to plant.
Ive got quite a few things growing at the allotment, and at home I have leeks, aubergines, and Brussels sprouts. I planted broccoli and chillies today, its so exciting. :-D
Image trenches for spuds
Image my helpers.