Perchy's Pottager Patch 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
perchy

Re: Perchy's Pottager Patch 2012

Post by perchy »

Have had half an hour in the garden and I let the girls come out and help me, the babies stay by my feet all the time }hairout{ I attempted to dig up a stray potato as it is looking a bit messy and imagine my surprise at these

some are big enough for chips )c(

The yellow courgettes are getting rather large now, will make something and then make chutney I think

Leaving the courgettes to get big for chutney too

The chilli's are are doing well and some are ripening which is good, have a couple of tomato plants outside, they are not doing a deal although this little one my neighbour gave me will hopefully do ok

This is a pumpkin, growing up the trellis!

Alot of flowers on the beans and a few ready for this week

The cauliflower are rubbish I will take a pic but they have bolted, and look awful.

Still not a great year but am very happy with my unexpected potatoes!!
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Now I remember why I am not talking to you envy}}

Well done Perchy
perchy

Post by perchy »

Mrs B wrote:Now I remember why I am not talking to you envy}}

Well done Perchy

{hug}
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Looking good Perchy, rather envy}}
perchy

Post by perchy »

This has got to have been the worst year for us, although I cannot grumble at the two previous years, we have now cleared what veggies we had, mainly potatoes and one carrot {cry} a few beans, I have no idea what happened there, we (the royal we) are going to dig over and re manure the area and leave it to rest, the other side of the garden is doing well with the large round courgettes and a couple of pumpkins so will leave that. Have picked a couple of cucumbers and the tomatoes are still coming, the peppers and chilli's are doing great, seems to have been hard going. I am going to get my gardening diary out and have a re-think about what I will put where next year, seems a long time off but will be here again before I know it. Lots of the broad beans had been bored into and the cauli's looked like bunches of flowers {cry} but the girls enjoyed the leaves etc. Will make chutney out of what I have got and sadly will have to buy a few tomatoes for chilli jam, the chilli's thank goodness are a plenty, will make some chilli oil too for stir fry's. Been a funny old season, but )app( to those who have kept at it despite it being a weird one.

Pics of course to follow later today )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Its been tiring this year hasn't it Perchy and all for so little reward but it sounds as if your greenhouse has given you a little dividend . I had better get on with some work but like you I will post a couple of pics in my diary too x
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
perchy

Post by perchy »

So here are the pics for you all to have a look at, the pumpkin will need to be harnessed somehow as it really is getting quite big and is growing up a trellis that isn't particularly strong!

The courgettes are growing fast

The greenhouse housing the peppers and chilli's did better this year

A few tomatoes and a couple of cues

All in all a little bounty but as I said before a bounty indeed )t'
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

It all looks lovely Perchy )t'. Iv only grown ordinary green courgettes before do those cute yellow ones taste different. Igot a pack of mixed ones and didnt get round to planting them or anything much else this year. :oops: Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
perchy

Post by perchy »

I don't know Linda, am going to make chutney with the majority and will use some in cooking, they are really quite big, more like melons, will let you know when I harvest them )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

Have tried to hold up the pumpkin, it is getting very heavy, and there is no way I can get it to grow along the ground, here is what I have done, I just hope the netting doesn't cut into it, any suggestions would be welcomed )t'

davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Could it go in the hanging basket Perchy ?
[center][/center]Davina
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I was going to say the same, although it may get too big later. Pumpkins are ok on earth I think, but if you are worried, pop some straw under it.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
perchy

Post by perchy »

That is a good idea, the hanging basket is safe enough for a few pansies but not sure about the pumpkin, with all this rain it is growing very quickly, will get son to have a look for some wood and maybe make something that goes in the ground and rest it on, will update when had a chance to sort something, it is persistently raining and thundering at the moment }hairout{

Thank you
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Do you remember me mentioning that someone I knew who was known as Pumpkin John was run over and killed a couple of years back, while tending his pumpkins on the grass verge outside his house? {cry}

If you would like, I can ask his daughter in law, as she does know about pumpkins.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
perchy

Post by perchy »

p.penn wrote:Do you remember me mentioning that someone I knew who was known as Pumpkin John was run over and killed a couple of years back, while tending his pumpkins on the grass verge outside his house? {cry}

If you would like, I can ask his daughter in law, as she does know about pumpkins.

Yes please {hug}