Bills 2012 garden diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Bills 2012 garden diary

Post by billnorfolk »

Excellent plastic will warm the ground ,allowing an earlyer sowing and protect your crops from the weather ,looks ok to me )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Friday 16th March

Much cooler today ,was just into the 70s yesterday ,weather will hopefully make up its mind very soon.
Finally got the cover on me small raised bed ,am useing that for me root crops this year should help to keep the carrot fly out and my neighbors 5 cats }hairout{
Took a chance and got 2 rows of early spuds in ,fingers crossed time they come through frosts may be over (i set em deep).The ones in the tubs in glasshouse apear to be doing ok,top them up every so often with compost.
We are a little bit excited as saw our first peas pokeing through ,sown on the 4th March in the gutters placed in polly tunnel,never grown peas before hence the excitement.
Radishes sown on the 26/2 are well through and a few lettuce showing and red beet.
Repotted our tomatoes into bigger pots,one problem i was having when watering the compost went mouldy was told to put some compost in the tray to stand pots on and only water that ,seems to be working.
Also repotted cabbage and cauly into bigger pots ,want to get them out as soon as.
One thing i am dissapointed with is our daffodils all come through blind ,had an excellent show last spring ,anyone any ideas why
Finally (thank goodness i hear you say) :-D the lettuce sown before christmas as an experiment seem to still be growing all be it slowly in the cold frame,3 different varietys sown to see which would germinate and they all did.

madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Thanks for the pics ...it is great to compare progress )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Things are really growing! )t'
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

madmum wrote:Thanks for the pics ...it is great to compare progress )t'

Not alot of progress today madmum {cry} ,bin raining all day but we realy do need it,will keep them coming as year goes on )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Lillia wrote:Things are really growing! )t'

Getting there Lillia,will go with a big bang )c( once the waether settles cant wait 8) )t'

perchy

Post by perchy »

Wow Bill you have a lovely plot there and it looks brilliant envy}}

:b(
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Did you cut back the foliage on your daffodils last year after blooming rather than let the leaves die back. Its either that or the daffodils have got overcrowded and need to be separated. Or it could be as you had such a dry year last year the bulb hasn't had the moisture to enable a good flower this year.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

perchy wrote:Wow Bill you have a lovely plot there and it looks brilliant envy}}

Thank you perchy apreciate that )t'

:b(

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Maggie1 wrote:Did you cut back the foliage on your daffodils last year after blooming rather than let the leaves die back. Its either that or the daffodils have got overcrowded and need to be separated. Or it could be as you had such a dry year last year the bulb hasn't had the moisture to enable a good flower this year.

Hi Maggie they are in the edge of the lawn only planted last winter had a good show in the spring ,left them until died down then ran the mower over them but not one has a flower this year +confused+

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Hi Bill .. Daffodils come up blind through lack of feed over a couple of seasons .. even waiting for the leaves to die back is not enough after a few years .. they need the leaves to die back and compost back into the soil to give them the best enviroment .. when you run the mower over you are taking their food away .. to bring them back into flower next year you need to give them a liquid feed every 7 days till they die down then mow that area without the box on the mower so it leaves a mulch over them )t'
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

jannie wrote:Hi Bill .. Daffodils come up blind through lack of feed over a couple of seasons .. even waiting for the leaves to die back is not enough after a few years .. they need the leaves to die back and compost back into the soil to give them the best enviroment .. when you run the mower over you are taking their food away .. to bring them back into flower next year you need to give them a liquid feed every 7 days till they die down then mow that area without the box on the mower so it leaves a mulch over them )t'

Hi jannie will rectify that ,will make sure i feed them and leave to die back naturally.Were fine last spring ,have been told i maybe didnt put deep enough either need 4/5" so will check on that as well once finished growing,apreciate the advice )t'

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Bill, your things are coming on well. Seventy degrees, wow, nothing like that in East Yorkshire.

We have a row of daffodils all the way down our garden under the neighbour's evil hedge. OH just lets the leaves die back, gives them weeks and weeks, before cutting the lawn.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Just the one day Spreckley,although got up to 64 yesterday and heading that way today but was wet windy and cold over the weekend.
Begining to think i cut them to early ,will know better next time :oops:
Where in E Yorks are you as i am a Yorkshire man myself ,lived in Norfolk for the past 55 years though :-D

Yes hedges can be very bothersome spoil the ground and take away the light ,since cultivateing my garden have cut down 7 trees to let the light in ,sad but things wouldnt grow in the shade
This is how it looks now
and this is how it used to be early 2011 )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Tuesday 20th March

Set a few seeds outside ,parsnips,more red beet wife pickles quicker than i can grow it )c( more radish .
If this weather stays got cabbage and caulie hardening off ,will soon see about getting them planted outside)t'