Maggies 2013 Garden Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Maggie1

Maggies 2013 Garden Diary

Post by Maggie1 »

Thought I'd make a start for the 1st January 2013
As it was such a lovely morning thought I'd have a walk round the garden. Very very squelchy underfoot especially down the bottom as it slopes down.
I'd grown some rhubarb from seed and potted them up and left them outside. I see they are starting to shoot.
I have got wallflowers and polyanthus in bloom and bulbs up.
Went into the Polytunnel which needs a good clean out and dig over. My daff bulbs are 6 inches high so I should have some blooms on the way.
The sunny day didn't last and the wind and rain are now back.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Maggies 2013 Garden Diary

Post by Richard »

Hi Maggie,

I'll be starting the 2013 Category in a couple of days, so will move yours in there once done.

All 2012 threads will be moved into the Vegetable Gardening Category.

I may on the other hand lock all the 2012 Diaries and leave them in the new 2013 Category, they'd all be at the bottom as soon as people start their's so anyone could refer back to them easily.
Why didn't I think of that before !!!

Great to see you so keen. :-D

Richard )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Maggie I admire your enthusiasm - bung a bit my way.
This year I think a couple of little raised beds and a bit in the greenhouse is all I will manage. The small holding is up for sale ,therefore, I won't be making any plans there, which I am not totally sad about.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Great stuff Maggie, I,m rather keen to start this year and will kick my 2013 season off this coming friday, the last two months only been down to allotment to harvest bits and bobs but am starting to get a little excited now the new year has begun.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Annie wrote:Maggie I admire your enthusiasm - bung a bit my way.
This year I think a couple of little raised beds and a bit in the greenhouse is all I will manage. The small holding is up for sale ,therefore, I won't be making any plans there, which I am not totally sad about.

Where are you hoping to move to Annie, very far away?
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Its not my property Maggie but the one that my friend owns and we use to share the veggie patch - about 2/3rds allotment size. Family break up so she will be looking to move into a small property eventually.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Oh dear Annie how sad. So will you be changing your garden into a veg plot to compensate.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

2nd February 2013

Well we've had a beautiful sunny day so had a walk round the garden. Very squelchy underfoot. The primroses are out and so are the wallflowers which is really early this year. The polyanthus in my tubs are lovely, but the bulbs don't seem to be growing much. They seem to have come to a stop. Perhaps the sunshine will spur them on if we get anymore. My winter honeysuckle is in bloom and there are some buds on the fruit tree.

Because of personal reasons the polytunnel has just been left. So I ventured in there. Its like a jungle as all the runner beans were still there. Had a go at clearing those but hopefully have another go tomorrow.I'd found some old daff bulbs so dug trenches and plonked them in. Rather than let them go to dust. They won't come to anything but its better than let them go to waste. What I thought I would do is put some tomatoes in the same patch so making the best of the patch. So when the tomatoes are over the daffs will come up.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hiya Maggie

How far are you from the sea?,dont know Ballyglass,but co Mayo is pretty close to the N Atlantic coast i think,do you get the winds come in from the sea,and does it affect anything you grow?.I am about 3 miles inland from the North sea and some of the bushes that face the sea do get scortched.Can imagine co Mayo as a beutifull place to live even more so in the summer.We tend to be dryer than most of England on the east coast but rarely get realy hot days you need to go inland a bit for them .Still cold hear may get my tomatoes started at the end of the month.Hopeing for a good spring and summer fingers crossed.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

From the coast Bill we are about 20 miles. Problem is there is nothing between us only Croagh Patrick

The other side of this is the Atlantic so you can see how exposed we are. We don't get a lot of scorch as its always raining. We do get a fair amount of wind burn though. OH was brought up in Wisbech and I know how Norfolk gets windy. My family are in Cley next the sea and Gorleston.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Blimey Maggie what a picture ,that is something you dont see in Norfolk.From the age of 11 years to 26 years i lived also in Gorleston,thats until i got married and moved 3 miles inland to Belton where i still live though my 95 year old mum still lives in Gorleston,just shows how small the world is.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Now you know when I say it blows it blows and its something like out of a horror film at times.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Here we are over half way through February and only had about 3 days of sunshine. Had a constitutional around the garden and there's quite a few flowers out. Daffodils, crocus, polyanthus. wallflowers, lungwort and viburnum. Also still haven't planted the rhubarb plants which have all started to shoot.

Done a bit of tidying in the polytunnel and filled 6 hanging baskets with strawberry plants rescued from the fruit cage which has got to be shifted as its right in front of a window of our barn conversion. When thats shifted we are going to turn that plot into a sitting area. Just picked a bunch of daffs for the house to cheer myself up. I love the smell of daffs, I know Spring is just around the corner.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Well I have decidedly done zilch in the garden or Polytunnel over the last month/6 weeks due to OH being in hospital.
I did manage to plant up 6 hanging baskets with strawberries before he went in. Well they are all now in flower.
Today the wind has been gale force. So I battled my way down to the Polytunnel and I've sown some tomato's, cucumber,aubergine and some Bidens for my baskets. I'll try and get some more done tomorrow.
I must admit the daffodils and tulips have done really well this year. It must have been all the water we had last year which has enabled the bulbs to swell
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Due to our little inconvenience the garden hasn't been touched. Today it was a lovely day so decided to take a walk round the garden. It really needs tidying up but I thought you'd like to see what it looks like at the moment. The first 2 is the front garden. The tulips and daffs have been lovely this year. As I say it needs a tidy.

Going into the back garden you can see the primroses better. They have been a lovely show this year.

Going into the Polytunnel. In January I'd chucked some old daffs I'd bought and forgotten in the Polytunnel, rather than let them dry up. They've been lovely as well.

The hangings baskets I'd planted up with strawberries have also gone mad

Last but not least its a bit blurred but my peach tree I'd bought in Aldi came into bloom last month and now I've got fruit forming