Jannie's 2013 Diary.

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Jannie's 2013 Diary.

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I don't think it's boring at all Jannie, I love looking at people's diaries and pictures )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thanks Davina and LBF. {hug}

No gardening at all today as youngest granddaughter here all day then 4 of them after school. :-D
Everything seems to be surviving the cold nights and warm days, always a worry with big differences in temperature, I don't like using the heater in the greenhouse at night unless I have to. Hopefully the sunny days will see off the last of the frosty nights soon enough. )t' Hubby is working all weekend so looking forward to some pottering in peace, hanging baskets need to be done. :-D
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Had a couple of hours pottering today .. runner bean seeds are sown

Peas are in the new raised bed, they have been outside for nearly a week now and were looking for something to cling to.

Salad leaves are up in the raised bed, nice to see they have germinated despite some cold nights.

The first sowings of Tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes are all coming along nicely. Hoping that the 2 Orkado tomatoes will be enough to feed us till the other plants catch up.

Potted on 2 Tiny Tom plants and noticed they are showing the first flower buds. :-D

I also topped up the potato sacks with compost, sowed some annuals in cells ready to fill any gaps in the cottage garden, and some kale and perpetual spinach in the AF patch. )t'
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I love how neat everything looks in your garden Jannie :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thanks LBF .. It's taken a while but it's pretty well as I wanted it now ..all easy maintenance. )t'

Well definitely not gardening weather today .. everything is locked down and we are having a whopper of a storm .. I just watched my cold frame complete with 5 hanging baskets, 3 trays of bedding plants and 3 pouches move 2ft across the courtyard. I've been out and put a couple of grow bags around it so fingers crossed this wind dies down soon as the garden is taking a real battering with winds of 65 mph already recorded near here.

One happy note .. 6 days after sowing and the Runner beans have started popping their heads up. )c(

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I haven't updated for a while as I've been off in the caravan enjoying a break in the Peak District. :-D I left the garden in the capable hands of my Son and apart from killing off my begonias everything is doing well and with the help of all the Apple, Cherry and Pear blossom the garden looks lovely.

The Runner beans need a few more days to harden off and will go out this weekend.

Some of the tomatoes have set the first trusses so need to get everything else out of the greenhouse to remove the staging

The first early potatoes and broad beans have started flowering

and the salad crops in the raised bed are growing well .. I managed to get the spring onion, radish and beetroot sown the day before I went away so they are now up too

A couple of months ago one of the bird boxes fell off the fence so I dumped it on a wall till I got around to putting it back .. we were sat out having tea last night and spotted that Bumble Bees have made it their home :-D
by the time I'd got the camera out they had all gone to bed so will sit out there tomorrow and try and get some photos. )t'

It's good to see that after such a late start things are growing really well and the garden isn't too far behind. >fi<
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Yesterday I got as far as planting the runner beans out and getting the tomato sacks and pots ready to pot up the rest of the Toms .. the compost was a bit cold as I'd left the growbags outside so they've been in the greenhouse for 24 hrs to warm up and I'll plant them up today.

I didn't get much else done as I spent far too long watching the Bumble Bees coming and going out of the bird box and collecting pollen from the fruit trees. It's amazing how much pollen they carry back each time. No worries about lack of pollination in my garden this year. :-D

It doesn't look as if they've missed the strawberry pots outside their front door either. :-D

A little honey bee must have sensed the pollen and tried to get into the box but he was quickly chased away.

The lawn is nearly back to full health after the mole damage so the hard work was worth it.
Image )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

Not bad Jannie, it will soon be looking good )t'

:b( :b(

{rofwl}
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

You don't know how good it feels to hear you say that. :b( {rofwl}

{hug&kiss}
perchy

Post by perchy »

jannie wrote:You don't know how good it feels to hear you say that. :b( {rofwl}

{hug&kiss}

)w(
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I spent today pottering and weeding and I think I covered every inch of the garden. It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly things grow at this time of the year. Within weeks of the blossom starting to flower there is an abundance of young fruit on the trees and bushes.

Plums

Gooseberries.

Blackcurrents.

Raspberries are starting to flower.
Image.

The greenhouse is now sorted and all the tomatoes are potted on from the different sowings. Some are setting second or third trusses and some are just showing their first flowers so there should be a good succession weather providing. There is also one surviving cucumber plant from the first couple I sowed and two from the second so should have more than enough for the two of us.

Some of the basket tomatoes and the courgettes are almost ready to stay outside .. will put them back in the greenhouse for a few more nights to make sure.

Looks like it's going to be a good crop of broad beans again this year, and the first early potatoes look as if the may be ready .. I might have a little root around tomorrow >fi<
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Everytime i see your garden it gets better Jannie :-D
The high planters your hubby built are a brilliant idea and look smashing )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Linda S wrote:Everytime i see your garden it gets better Jannie :-D
The high planters your hubby built are a brilliant idea and look smashing )t' Lindaxx

Thanks Linda. )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

The garden is pretty well taking care of itself at the moment .. just needing to water a lot with all the sunny weather we've been having ..not complaining. :-D

The greenhouse is doing well .. tomato plants aren't as big as last year but there are twice as many trusses. :? The cucumbers are a little slow.. one plant has baby cucs on but the other 2 plants are only just starting to grow to a decent size.

The outdoor baskets are enjoying the warmer weather.

The rest of the garden has caught up well. We've had a few good feeds of Chard and lots of chives and salad leaves.

The beans are starting to climb

and the spaghetti squash has it's first flower .. going to let it grow across the woodstore as I've no where else to grow it.

There are a few beetroot up but will have to sow some more this weekend now the ground has warmed up.
)t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)t' Looking very good (I do like those tall planters too) and everything seems to be a lot further ahead than here but ... we're catching up LOL. I agree about the watering - I spent an hour this morning doing nothing but running round the patio and greenhouse/polytunnel giving everything a little extra than usual as it's expected to be a warm day today with clear blue skies and full sun.