Jannie's 2013 Diary.

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Jannie's 2013 Diary.

Post by jannie »

Successful morning ..finally got some seeds sown!! )c(

I know some of the seeds I've sown are a bit early but I like taking chances because sometimes they pay off. :-D
I sowed .....
Yellow bush scallop Squash
White bush scallop squash
Sweet banana pepper
Jalapeno pepper
Picolino cucumbers
Spineless courgettes
Spaggetti squash
Bajaja tomato
Tumbling Tom tomato
mini pop sweetcorn
Poppies
Aquilegia
sage
Rosemary
>veg4< >veg5<

Also put the hanging baskets out the front and planted out the pansies in the containers by the front door ..
Pictured before

Front garden is looking lovely now with all the crocuses, polyanthus and daffodils blooming .. went out to take a picture and there are dozens of honey bees buzzing around ..

I think I've got my mojo back. )w(
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Gosh Jannie, you`ve sown loads, I find the nice weather makes me just want to start sowing seeds but trying to just take it a bit slower and only sown a few this afternoon.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I'm trying not to get carried away Mrs boodles :-D .. and I've just realised I forgot the mixed salad leaves }hairout{ .. will sow them in the morning, I've put the seeds by the kettle so I don't forget! )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

There is no doubting that this year is proving to be a real challenge as far as getting any early crops is concerned. Not only is it too cold to use the greenhouse yet, but it is also too cold to take the seedling that have germinated indoors out into the greenhouse to pot on.
But the basket tomatoes needed transplanting, so needs must, yesterday I went out the greenhouse and filled the pots with compost and brought them into the house .. the compost was far too cold to just transplant the seedling straight in, so I put the filled pots near the seedlings for 24 hours to raise the temperature. This should make sure that the seedling are not shocked by sudden temperature changes which would undoubtedly see them off. I also keep a small watering can of water near the seedlings for the same reason.
I finally transplanted them this afternoon .. I can see my veg plants taking over the house if the weather doesn't buck up soon. >veg4<

One of the crops I thought I'd give a try this year is mini corn .. they have all germinated so I might get them into cardboard cells tomorrow before they get too big to transplant so the roots won't get disturbed. That reminds me I still need to get a cover on the grow tunnel, .. I really thought I would have done it by now but there's never enough hours in a day!!

The sage, Rosemary, Jalapeno peppers and Yellow bush squash have also germinated but strangely the White bush squash hasn't.

I noticed that there are 2 broad beans through in the greenhouse and quite a few disturbing the compost, also the sweet peas have started showing through, so signs of things progressing despite the cold.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately but I've been really despondent about the garden this year .. the shear amount of work to repair the damage done by Mr Mole has overwhelmed me a bit and then the weather has put everything else behind. But..at last .. yesterday I finally got the last of the tunnels filled in and the lawn reseeded so sit back and wait for a nice lawn again ..oh boy do I feel better. I still have to keep my fingers crossed that he didn't damage the roots of the fruit trees but I can't do any more so. >fi<

The seedlings in the greenhouse are all looking rather sad..
.. hopefully with a bit milder weather they'll start catching up, I do have more in the house which in normal circumstance would be second crops but might well overtake the greenhouse this year. I've also managed to get the seed potatoes out into the potato sacks and they are growing well.

Hubby got cracking and finished the last of the raised beds to enclose the courtyard .. the rain and lack of days off put a halt to the project last year. All I have to do is plant them up now.

The grow tunnel is still giving us some fresh kale and had some cress this week for sandwiches. I've got early potatoes in there as well and I've planted out the baby sweetcorn .. so that is one area of the garden that is sorted. )t'

All I need now is a dose of enthusiasm and some sunshine and I'll get the rest sorted. )t'
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Janine, let me know where you get your dose of enthusiasm from please, I will order a dose or myself )t'
[center][/center]Davina
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Still no enthusiasm and now a slipped disc to slow me down so no work getting done )gr: but things are growing slowly..

Peas

Broad beans, second sowing..

Cucumbers and basket toms

Plum tree in blossom ..

Moneymaker toms, courgettes and mini cucumbers which should be potted on by now.

Tomorrow I will try and sow more Tomatoes as I haven't enough plants yet! >veg5<
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

This weekend I have been ever so glad that I don't have a large plot or allotment, as even with a bad back I have managed to get some gardening done :-D I had compost delivered yesterday and the kind man put a bag in the greenhouse and even opened it for me. )t'
I borrowed a saucepan from the house to get it out of the bag and managed to get the cucumbers, squash and basket tomatoes potted up. The trays in the background are perennial seedlings which I managed to move off the middle shelf to put the tomato baskets on to fill, but I couldn't lift them onto the top shelf out of the way so they ended up on the floor!

The tomatoes are a behind this year but I won't put heat on in the greenhouse unless there are frosts as the weather forecast says there is another cold snap on the way next week..so I'll reserve the heating for when its needed to preserve the plants rather than use it now to encourage growth. I think it's will be a challenge to maintain anywhere near even temperatures otherwise.

The first early potatoes in the bags are starting to show shoots .. they really are a long way behind last year

I'm so pleased with the new raised bed in the courtyard garden .. it is a perfect height to work with a bad back .. I sowed some salad leaves, beetroot, carrots and spring onions. I have fleece ready to protect them if it does turn cold again ..and it will be easy enough to cover with a polythene cover if I have to.

So managed to get a few things done even if it did take me all weekend. )t'
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Looking good Jannie, love the raised bed.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thanks Mrs Boodles .. I think it's going to be well used if my back keeps deteriorating. We have built beds all around the courtyard at the same height. A coat of preservative on the small one by the arbour and it's all finished.
The main bed has mini fruit trees and a grape vine,which I interplant with salad crops, the other beds will be used for bean and pea crops this year. I want to grow raspberries in the one along the wall so will plant canes there in the Autumn. )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Finally I have some Moneymaker tomato seed germinated..3rd time lucky!! and some more courgettes have popped up this morning. :-D

I have started putting the broad beans and peas out to harden them off ..they are really ready to go out in their beds now ..but the wind is so cold!! Also trying to get the perennials out to harden them off too, hopefully this is the last year I will have to sow them as the Cottage garden is getting established now.

Going to mow the lawn later .. will be good to see it repaired after the mole damage, I am hoping it will bring the garden back to life and give me some enthusiasm back. )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Jannie, I said to Bill on his diary, that I have felt so despondent this year with the garden and only in the last few days got any enthusiasm - hopefully just in time. Your diary is always such a pleasure to read and your photos that accompany it are lovely. Thank you for a good 5 minute read x
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Annie wrote: Your diary is always such a pleasure to read and your photos that accompany it are lovely. Thank you for a good 5 minute read x

Aww thanks Annie. {hug}

I do worry that it's getting boring now in it's 4th year, but it does give me the shove I need when I look back to previous years and see that I'm lagging behind. {rofwl}

This lovely weather has seen me spend more time in the garden the last few days so more pics to follow .. it really it good for the soul isn't it? )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

An update on what I've been up to in the last few days..

The temporary cold frame is up and the broad bean, peas and perennials have spent the last few nights outside ..

so I planted the beans out into the grow tunnel today.. they are now keeping the early potatoes and cress company. I've had to sew more mini corn straight in the far end as the first plants didn't survive.

The basket toms are at last starting to grow and have more than doubled in size in the last week.

I have pricked out the Moneymaker Toms today .. it's surprising how Tomatoes always seem to catch up with earlier sowings.. I'm determined not to stress about early starts next year. I've also got the beans poles and pea supports in ready.

I spent a quite hour with the camera enjoying the garden today .. it' amazing how a few days warm sunshine can transform the garden at this time of the year..

Raspberries

Gooseberries

Blueberries

Victoria plums... the beas have been busy and the fruit is setting nicely.

A busy bee on the Cherry tree

Blackcurrents

Peach Tree

and last but not least a Bumble Bee enjoying the sun in the cottage garden. :-D )t'

davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Lovely photos )t'
[center][/center]Davina