HappyBobs 2013 Dairy

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: HappyBobs 2013 Dairy

Post by billnorfolk »

HappyBob wrote:The parsnips in the tubes were up after ten days Bill, the trick if growing in toilet tubes is as soon as you see the seedling appear is to get them in the ground, I use a bulb planter to make a nice hole to pop them in around a foot apart. Bill I dont know what tubes you are growing your snips in but if toilet tubes they wont be saveable as the tube eventually rots away. The damn weather has turned a bit today, it raining now as I look out of the window. Still it gives me an excuse to spend a nice day in my music/studio room after a few chores )t' )t' .

Still raining hear Bob,grow mine in same as you toilet tubes ,that is the idea that they rot away so you plant without disturbing the root,just make sure you dont leave any carboard sticking out of the ground as you will find it wont rot .My planter has 4 sizes and one is a perfect snug fit for the tubes,i realy hate chucking seed
into the garden and this has got to be a better way.When i said about saving for next year i ment empty ones from the house :-D not used ones from the garden )t' .

We have a couple of spare bedrooms in one i have a Technics GX5 ,a Yamaha accoustic guitar and a Yamaha keyboard,i find it is realy a good way to relax.I first started playing guitar 50 years ago when i was in the merchant navy ,nothing else to do ,and it went from there..I prefer playing the organ or keyboard now though bit easier on my poor old fingers :-D
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Haha glad we cleared the toilet tube situation up Bill :-D . Good tip regards getting the tube top level with the ground Bill as apart from not rotting away, it also tends to "wick" water away which isnt very desirable.

Looks like we share another hobby Bill as in music, I did a full loft converstion a few years ago and put in a home recording studio. Although we do have spare bedrooms it is less noisy up in the loft. I,m mainly a guitar player (tongue in cheek) but can get some sort of noise out of drums, bass and keyboards . With the chance of going off topic on the garden dairy I,ll put up a few pics of my small recording space in the Hobbies section if you are interested Bill.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HappyBob wrote:Haha glad we cleared the toilet tube situation up Bill :-D . Good tip regards getting the tube top level with the ground Bill as apart from not rotting away, it also tends to "wick" water away which isnt very desirable.

Looks like we share another hobby Bill as in music, I did a full loft converstion a few years ago and put in a home recording studio. Although we do have spare bedrooms it is less noisy up in the loft. I,m mainly a guitar player (tongue in cheek) but can get some sort of noise out of drums, bass and keyboards . With the chance of going off topic on the garden dairy I,ll put up a few pics of my small recording space in the Hobbies section if you are interested Bill.

Yes please Bob would love to see it ,guitar is not to bad as not electric but sometimes play organ and keyboard through headphones ,though next door reckon they dont mind and mother in law other side so not to bad,will put some pics of mine on there aas well )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I'm thinking you boys should form a band and go on BGT, BILL AND BOBS BAND has a certain ring to it ! {rofwl}
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

HensAloud wrote:I'm thinking you boys should form a band and go on BGT, BILL AND BOBS BAND has a certain ring to it ! {rofwl}

We could all start a skiffle band, if you can play a washboard Angela your in, know anyone who can play tea chest bass .... {rofwl} {rofwl}
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

HappyBob wrote:
HensAloud wrote:I'm thinking you boys should form a band and go on BGT, BILL AND BOBS BAND has a certain ring to it ! {rofwl}

We could all start a skiffle band, if you can play a washboard Angela your in, know anyone who can play tea chest bass .... {rofwl} {rofwl}

I'm in then, at last my talents have been recognised ! {rofwl}
Angela
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Well back to the main reason for this thread )t' The rain we had the day before really got into ground so I decided it was time for my sweetcorn to leave the cold frame that it has been in to harden off the past week or so. 24 were planted out, and while I was at it got 50 leeks out. As the soil was nicely wet it was fairly easy to make a hole with a broom handle to drop each leek seedling into, also got twelve tomato plants the good old moneymaker into G/H no 1 borders.

A couple of courgettes have also been planted out.
I got another two raised beds installed from the old allotment onto the new garden although it took a while as the new allotment wasnt really level so it took around three hours to move all the soil around to level it up a little (I,m still aching :-D )

sown s/onion and radish for continuity also a couple of pots of chives and corriander for the kitchen.

Not done any work on the chicken side of things hopefully that will start again next week.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Sounds like you're playing catch up too, not surprising you hurt ! Look forward to the poultry news. )t'
Angela
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

HensAloud wrote:Sounds like you're playing catch up too, not surprising you hurt ! Look forward to the poultry news. )t'

Oh I always seem to be playing the catch up game :-D , I,m hoping to get some hens in the next week or two and to be honest I,m getting quite excited about it all :-D :-D )t'
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

HappyBob wrote:
HensAloud wrote:Sounds like you're playing catch up too, not surprising you hurt ! Look forward to the poultry news. )t'

Oh I always seem to be playing the catch up game :-D , I,m hoping to get some hens in the next week or two and to be honest I,m getting quite excited about it all :-D :-D )t'

How many are you getting ? And have you thought of names, can't have hens without names ! I was putting a smilie in there but apparantly the smiley quota is used up !
Angela
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

HensAloud wrote:
HappyBob wrote:

How many are you getting ? And have you thought of names, can't have hens without names ! I was putting a smilie in there but apparantly the smiley quota is used up !

Hi Angela sorry for the delay, long story short we had our Allotment meeting in a local pub yesterday and well I think you can guess what may of occured (insert rofwl smiley).

I will be starting off with around half a dozen hens till i find my feet with them then hopefully get a few more when the outside run is built etc. I didnt really think about naming them, it could be fun to see what wacky names the grandkids can come up with. Oh i know what you mean regards the smiley quota lol, I now feel quite ashamed I used them up in my previous post (embarassed....lol)
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Some updated photo,s of Garden..

Leeks planted out a few days ago..

Strawberrys all weeded and fed..

Coldframe starting to empty which is good..

Sweetcorn all planted out..

Beetroot happily growing away..

Beans Runners one side Waxbean the other..

Mixed heading lettuce..

General Veiw..

Coop that I built out of bits and bobs..

Inside coop (all perches are removable for cleaning etc)..

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

All rosey in your garden Bob, and the hen hut it's a palace )t'
Angela
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

HensAloud wrote:All rosey in your garden Bob, and the hen hut it's a palace )t'

Thanks Angela, I managed to get a raised bed built and filled up yesterday. I moved the 5 originals ones I had from the old garden onto the new garden, and had a space left for one more. Now the chicken shed/coop building is out of the way the next job will be reinstating the fence to the new boundary all 90ft of it.. {cry}