Benny-Bev's growing diary 2013

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Benny-Bev's growing diary 2013

Post by Benny&Co »

Had a lovely morning in the garden :-D ably assisted by Benny and the girls of course who were more interested in Kongs, sniffing and digging respectively!

I've hosed down all my seed trays and pots and done some planting up.

Things I've planted are:

* sweetcorn - went for these 'grow sure' seeds, hopefully they will grow :-D
* beetroot
* squash
* cress
* cherry tomato
* plum tomato
* lettuce

>fi<

I noticed from the packets some things need to be planted in April so more to do in a few days time.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Gosh you`ve been busy Bev, weather rubbish here, so cold today.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Benny&Co wrote:Had a lovely morning in the garden
Things I've planted are:
* beetroot
* squash
* cress
* cherry tomato
* plum tomato
* lettuce
I noticed from the packets some things need to be planted in April so more to do in a few days time.

Have you started them in a greenhouse Bev. I hope you haven't planted them outside as its a bit chilly willy to do that
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Maggie1 wrote:
Benny&Co wrote:Had a lovely morning in the garden
Things I've planted are:
* beetroot
* squash
* cress
* cherry tomato
* plum tomato
* lettuce

Have you started them in a greenhouse Bev. I hope you haven't planted them outside as its a bit chilly willy to do that

Oh no Aunty Maggie, they're in my greenhouse on the front window covered in plastic )t' :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Good girl Bev. )t' You know what Auntie Maggie says about planting to early outside and catching a cold. {warn} The old garden centres will be soon rubbing their hands. }hairout{
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Maggie1 wrote:Good girl Bev. )t' You know what Auntie Maggie says about planting to early outside and catching a cold. {warn} The old garden centres will be soon rubbing their hands. }hairout{

Oh yes, always remember that Aunty Maggie )t' {hug}

It's blooming snowing here today, so no gardening for me.
Bev x

Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Filthy wet and howling wind here
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hiya Bev

Yes LL is so right about your out of date seeds,some will depend on how they have been stored ,cool and dry is the best way ,i keep mine in an old fridge in the garage ,along with a few beers for when summer finally rears its head )t' .Iuse a zipper type bag squeeze all the air out then an air tight tupper ware box .

Good luck with your planting still to cold hear ,keeping beds covered ,will chit my sweetcorn in the airing cupboard when the time is right ,will speed it up a week or two then. >gl<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks Bill )t'

I'm pleased to report that some of my seeds have sprouted - my cress is popping up, as is something else but I can't see what's on the label through the plastic :-D

When you mention chitting your sweetcorn in the airing cupboard, what does that mean?
Bev x

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Benny&Co wrote:When you mention chitting your sweetcorn in the airing cupboard, what does that mean?

When you sow seeds in compost, you really have no idea if the seed will germinate or not. Chitting is a method of placing a load of seed on damp tissue and putting in a sandwich box or plastic bag to seal in humidity before placing somewhere nice and warm like an airing cupboard - after a few days (depends on when the seed would normally germinate), check daily until you see the root just starting to push out of the seed casing. Carefully place the individual seeds into pots of damp compost where they'll continue the germination process. Any seed that do not sprout in the damp tissue would be considered duff and so no compost is wasted using this method. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh what a good idea LL, I shall have to try that )t' :-D

I really do learn heaps from you all on here, I'd never have thought of that. I've chitted potatoes in the shed before but not seeds.

I splashed out a bit and got some 'grow sure' sweetcorn and cauli seeds - really hope they will work >fi<
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

My cress is going great guns, my lettuce has sprouted and I think my beetroot has too :-D
Bev x

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Afternoon Bev )wav(

Only just seen your post.

The above picture is of some of my sweetcorn seed last year,i use an old ice cream tub wet kitchen roll in bottom place seeds on top of wet kithen roll cover with onother piece of same lid on and put in airing cupboard,couple of days and they will have chitted,plant into pots (carefull of the tendrils quite brittle)or garden if ground warm .I prefere to grow on in warm greenhouse till signs of frosts gone ,then plant into rich soil .Like beans sweetcorn make considerable growth in a few weeks and need a rich fertile soil to get the best from them )t' But they are my favourites. >gl<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

billnorfolk wrote:Afternoon Bev )wav(

Only just seen your post.

The above picture is of some of my sweetcorn seed last year,i use an old ice cream tub wet kitchen roll in bottom place seeds on top of wet kithen roll cover with onother piece of same lid on and put in airing cupboard,couple of days and they will have chitted,plant into pots (carefull of the tendrils quite brittle)or garden if ground warm .I prefere to grow on in warm greenhouse till signs of frosts gone ,then plant into rich soil .Like beans sweetcorn make considerable growth in a few weeks and need a rich fertile soil to get the best from them )t' But they are my favourites. >gl<

Thank you Bill, I've only just seen your post and picture. We're nearly a month on now, so I expect your little sproutings will have grown? :-D

I put my sweetcorns out at the weekend, but protecting them with the insides of loo/kitchen rolls >fi<
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

It's nearly a month since I've updated. Been spending time in the garden as the weather has been lovely.

Romanesco cauliflower

Peppers

Lettuce - outside under poly

Lettuce - inside

Toms - Nita keeps knocking these over

More Toms

Courgettes - yellow and green ones

Butternut squash

Sweetcorns

Sweet peas

Sage

Cucumbers, not so good >coc<

Have also got on the go.....

Broccoli
Purple sprouting broccoli
Beetroot
Carrots
Potatoes
Rosemary
Thyme
Sprouts
Parsnips
Nicotiana

As soon as there's any sproutings I'll take some pictures )t'
Bev x