Benny-Bev's growing diary 2013

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Benny-Bev's growing diary 2013

Post by Benny&Co »

Wow everyone, I see you're all well along with your growing things for the year )t'

Once I'm feeling better I'll be getting going too.

Hopefully in the next few days.

:-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Benny-Bev's growing diary 2013

Post by billnorfolk »

With the cold weather Bev you realy not missing anything ,looks like spring will be a little late this year >shrug< .Hope you soon feeling ok ,not much fun when unwell.Love your avatar wish i could spend the last years just exploring the waterways of England, or even living on board a barge would suit me )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks Bill, I'm feeling lots better - the horse sized anti biotic pills seem to be working )t'

That's a boat we saw on our local canal, which is the Grand Union - we often walk along there with Benny.

When I saw a boat that I share my name is, had to take a piccy :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Benny&Co wrote:Wow everyone, I see you're all well along with your growing things for the year )t'

Not really Bev .. the only thing I've sown so far is Broad Beans .. illness and the weather have put me a few weeks behind too, but it's far too early to start stressing about it. )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

jannie wrote:
Benny&Co wrote:Wow everyone, I see you're all well along with your growing things for the year )t'

Not really Bev .. the only thing I've sown so far is Broad Beans .. illness and the weather have put me a few weeks behind too, but it's far too early to start stressing about it. )t'

Despite my posts, the only thing I've started off are chillies and some onions from seed, but then they do need an early start. Strawberry runners needed planting/potting after delivery, potatoes & oca are chitting, then a little soil preparation on the plot but mainly digging in kitchen waste and compostables for summer crops later in the year. I'll be getting most of my stuff going from about mid-late March, weather depending )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thought I'd take some piccies of things in our gardens, even though I didn't officially grow them, they're nice to look at :-D

Front border with winter pansies, cyclamen, snowdrops and also tulips and daffodills (when they sprout up).

Pretty little crocus that grow on our front lawn

Look at these - little snowdrops that have appeared in one of last years tubs :-D
Bev x

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Very pretty Bev >mmm< >mmm<
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Love the crocuses Bev, they are leting us know to stand by our spades etc, as spring is nearly here. )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

That's very pretty Bev, really chirpy and a look of spring )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks all of you, they do cheer you up don't they :-D
Bev x

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

the crocus in the grass looks so natural - I love it )t' There does seem to be a little stirring of life outside so yes, get ready spades and seeds ....
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I love them too LL :-D They come up every year in the grass :-D
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I've now written myself up a list of garden jobs that I'd like to do.

We had a lovely start to the week weather-wise, so I took advantage.

I've tidied up my shed, sorted my pots out ready for planting things.

I've tidied up the garden and the wastage has gone off in the green bins which were emptied yesterday.

Also sorted through my seeds box, thrown out ones which are out of date. If they say plant by 2013, are they pretty much done with?

Bought some seeds in Sasda's the other day, they are 4 for £3 on Unwinnybobs seeds.

Next I need to sort through all my compost and try and work out what can be reused from last year.

Also contemplating whether our fences and decking need painting ooooh and I saw a pot of pink outdoor wood paint in Sasda's too..... maybe for the girls Mansion?

:-D
Bev x

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Benny&Co wrote:Also sorted through my seeds box, thrown out ones which are out of date. If they say plant by 2013, are they pretty much done with?

{warn} a "sow by" date is not like food "use by" date LOL. Depending on what seed you had thrown away, many are still viable for several years (I sowed a batch of lettuce seeds 3 years after the sow by date not expecting much and had 100% germination!) Brassica (cabbage, sprouts, caulis, turnips, swede) are good for at least 5 years, and I've also been successful growing carrots and tomatoes well past their use by date too.

As for the 2013 sow by date - this is the seed supplier's "guarantee" that the seed you sow within that time frame are more or less guaranteed to germinate (or your money back - actually, I've not seen that claim in years so perhaps they don't do it anymore) After that, then yes there will be a drop in viability (so instead of 10 out 10 seeds germinating you only get say 8 or 9 out of 10, the year after maybe 5 or 6 out 10)
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh cool, thanks for that LL )t'

I've not thrown them all away, thought I'd ask here first :-D
Bev x