Kitty's Gardenning Adventures

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Kitty's Gardenning Adventures

Post by Spreckly »

That is an idea Kitla. I have a packet of runner beans which I did not sow this year, perhaps for 2022.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

What a difference a day makes! last week I went to water tomatoe corner & found them in a bad way. It had happened so fast that I guessed my elderly neighbour had used weed killer on his side of the fence. However, its gradually spreading along all the plants so I suppose it must be blight. I've picked some of the green ones that havent been got yet but soooo many wasted )gr:
Image Image
Next year I'll need a big rethink on veg planning.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

kitla wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 11:17 However, its gradually spreading along all the plants so I suppose it must be blight.
Next year I'll need a big rethink on veg planning.
I think in all the years I grew tomatoes on the allotment plot, there were only 2 years when I didn't get blight. I tried early maturing varieties (more successful than later maturing or big beefsteak type) and blight resistant varieties (the more expensive hybrid F1 probably did better than the naturally resistant type which ... still got blight) but eventually I concluded that growing tomatoes outdoors in the UK really was like playing Russian Roulette as to whether it would be a productive season or not. Blame the unpredictable UK weather. The biggest problem on the allotment as opposed to growing them at home, is that once blight had appeared on someone's tomato crop, it rapidly spread across the site (even those grown under cover could not escape the airborne spores)

I don't have the allotment anymore but at home, I will only grow tomatoes in the greenhouse or polytunnel now. I know greenhouses are expensive but the cheaper polytunnel (with the galvanised steel frame and the green checked cover) are easy to erect, have good head room (I always seem to bang my head on the greenhouse sloping roof) and seem perfectly suited for tomatoes (and peppers and even better for chillies) and don't cost that much (wait until mid winter because I've noticed the price of these type of polytunnels goes down but as soon as there is an interest and sales (from about February), they suddenly go up in price.)
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Unfortunately LL, this year the green house plants were the first to go. My cucumbers in there got blight early on & last year the tomatoes in the greenhouse went but not the outdoor ones. I blame the cheap compost I used, toadstools popping up in all the pots. I actually chose varieties of tomatoes that were especially blight resistant hmph!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

a question. As I got blight in my outdoor tomatoes this year, will I be able to grow tomatoes outdoors next year? even in a different spot
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think blight blows in from the nearest field of potatoes
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

2022 veg results so far. Well the cucumbers in the greenhouse produced a handfull of mini cucs then got blight. As did the beef tomato plant in there. So far the toms outdoors are ok, I've pulled off the bottom leaves & been careful when watering them. I'm half hopeful.
Chillis & sweet peppers in the greenhouse are doing really well.
My laden blackcurrant bush has suddenly dropped lots of half ripe/half brown currants. I think it was a reaction to the heatwave.
The courgette plant died back after producing one courgette, I've grown another in a pot but its probably too late.
The pumpkin plant is magnificent, covered in flowers but only one pumpkin has formed.
The runner beans were looking great until the heatwave, then ripened too fast & grew tough & bumpy. So we picked them all & let them start again.
We've had a few peas & carrots, not many. But the sweetcorn are looking great & nearly ready!
Perhaps if hot summers are going to be more common, its time for a rethink on what we grow.
--Immanuel Kant