Bill's 2014 Garden Diary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Bill's 2014 Garden Diary

Post by billnorfolk »

Tuesday 19th August 2014

Harvested a few sweetcorn today ,just from around the edge as middle ones need a few more days .
Not very warm today looking like an early autumn
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

oooh, those look nice filled cobs - what variety did you grow Bill?

EDIT: it is downright chilly alright, brrrrrrr
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thursday 21st August 2014

With cold wet windy weather forecast after the weekend thought i would get the rest of me spuds up 1 and a half rows 12 roots in all Desiree ,think i am going with the Golden Wonder next year ,not so many but real quality on my light ground.ImageImage
With polly tunnel empty seems a good place to dry them before bagging up.Onions are nice and dry now and very strong will need to bag them soon.Image
Runner beans are getting a second coming will keep feeding and if weather doesn't turn to cold may get another crop ImageImage

LL i used a DT Brown seed this year can't remember the name but think i will go with Unwins again next year as seedlings seem much stronger but cobs ok with D T Brown.

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Sunday 24th August 2014

What a day yesterday ,dull cold with rain ,sorry for the holiday makers coming to Great Yarmouth for a break as this is what will great them.Image
About 4.15pm yesterday afternoon was a violent storm with heavy rain that then turned to hail.ImageImage

Wont get rest of me sweetcorn ripe at this rate >coc<

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Sorry Bill I havnt been around much to drool over your bumper harvest, all looks mighty fine. I've had a Melonie cucumber, freaked he who does a bit when he spotted it, he thought it was a grass snake ! {rofwl} anyhow, it tasted of cucumber not a Melonie cucumber, although it was nice crispy and fresh, skin a bit tough though, so the question is did my impatience cut it too soon do you think ? +f+
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Good morning Angela how nice to hear from you , really hope you both doing ok .Look back through my last year pics was about 3ft long and tasted a little more tangy than ordinary cucumber .I think it was ok as the time now for cutting is nearly over ,catch you later. )like(

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

billnorfolk wrote:Good morning Angela how nice to hear from you , really hope you both doing ok .Look back through my last year pics was about 3ft long and tasted a little more tangy than ordinary cucumber .I think it was ok as the time now for cutting is nearly over ,catch you later. )like(

I've just sorted a bit of the polytunnel out and found a whopper in the undergrowth, 29 inches long yike*
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:
billnorfolk wrote:Good morning Angela how nice to hear from you , really hope you both doing ok .Look back through my last year pics was about 3ft long and tasted a little more tangy than ordinary cucumber .I think it was ok as the time now for cutting is nearly over ,catch you later. )like(

I've just sorted a bit of the polytunnel out and found a whopper in the undergrowth, 29 inches long yike*

Haps it was a snake yike*

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Tuesday 9th September 2014

Finally got the rest of the sweetcorn harvested ,all the third cobs and a few of the second cobs came to nothing so not so many as last few years ,back to Unwins me thinks.Image

Still getting a few runner beans everyday ,second crop so no complaints there ,pulling carrots as we need them have done well this year .Image

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

It didn't taste snakey Bill, mind you I've not tasted snakes recently. That looks like a bumper crop of corn, hope you're save one each for your girls. :-D
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:It didn't taste snakey Bill, mind you I've not tasted snakes recently. That looks like a bumper crop of corn, hope you're save one each for your girls. :-D

There was a few that were misshapen and small corn so they didn't do to bad ,must say they do love em. )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Monday 29th September 2014

With winter around the corner ,slowly putting the beds to sleep .Image
Runner beans done compost in the trenches ready for next year .
One small bed covered ,two big ones potato bed and sweetcorn and half where the onions were.ImageImage
Still a few things to take us into winter .Image
Plenty of leeks Image
Parsnips the few i have dug have looked well ,so hopping for a few frosts to sweeten them up a bit
Last couple of tomato plants ,lots of chutney made so looking good.
Still got a few red beet to pull ,not been to good this year .Image
Might get a few sprouts but not holding my breath ,plants were supposed to grow 18 inches tall these are like trifids ImageImage
More like 4 foot.
Got a few radish and lettuce in polly tunnel and that is about it.Image

Apart from thick fog this morning temp more like summer than autumn 22 deg at moment can't last much longer surely.
And for anyone who has been to Gorleston for a holiday taken yesterday at 13.30 still a few brave souls going for a swim ,we have more beach now than i have ever known.ImageImage

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Saturday 4th October 2014

Going to be a funny autumn if weather keeps like this ,plum trees coming into blossom ,strawberries flowering again .

Dug a few Parsnips today ,now why can't i grow carrots like that.

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Sunday 7/12/2014

Probably be my last post for this year ,not a great lot going on in the garden at the moment as winter sets in ,really cold weather forecast for rest of week .Thought you may like to see these ,due to mild autumn left a couple of Tomato plants in the greenhouse to see how they would fair ,as of this morning both showing new tomatoes and lots of flowers ,not expecting them to last once heavy frosts hit .ImageImageImage

Although they haven't hearted up as yet ,enough green on these late sown lettuce for 2 of us Image

Hope you all have a super christmas ,and hopefully will be around spring of 2015.

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Merry Christmas to you, Wendy & family .san.jump. I look forward to reading your 2015 diary!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell