LBH 2014

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

LBH 2014

Post by little brown hen »

Well, here we are 2014, hopefully I'll do better than last year keeping my allotment diary.
It is so wet and squelchy on my plot, and last year I had 2 tons of horse poo delivered, and with the help of a chap on a neighbouring allotment took a morning moving it onto my plot. I've moved some of it around but there's still a pile to be shifted but its so heavy with water it will have to wait until we have a spell of dry weather. It has a crop of fungi growing on it. I have some leeks, turnips, and two stalks of rather manky brussels sprouts left but they are slowly being eaten and I planted cabbages called Yuko which the snails or slugs like. Ive planted sweet peas in the greenhouse, but nothing is showing yet, and the rhubarb is starting to show.
Image Fungi on the manure
Image Rhubarb just starting to show
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Re: LBH 2014

Ive had two goes on the allotment in the last five days. The first one I weeded around the edges and tidied up my rose bushes, and planted two hebe bushes.
Yesterday I went down, and dug 3 trenches ready for potatoes. There are still more to do, but it's heavy clay, and I can only do a bit at a time, so it will probably take me till March, especially if the weather continues as it is. Ive also dug sand in for my carrot bed, and Im going to need a bit more sand to break the clay down enough.
Image trenches for potatoes
Image my poor cabbages, they've been chewed by snails or slugs because the weather is so warm.
Image Primrose
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Wow, I havent been on here for months. Everything is growing well. Ive harvested all my onions and peas. Ive had broccoli, dwarf beans, strawberries, raspberries and blackcurrants. Ive got lots of brussels sprouts, cauliflowers and cabbages doing well, all those chewed ones in my picture have survived! The potatoes are nearly ready, and my squashes and butternut squashes have either flowers, or tiny squash.
We've had four tomatoes, and spinach. The beetroots are doing well too. I have herbs planted and they are well out of control. The plum tree is full of plums, Ive eaten a few and they are lovely and sweet. There are apples, and pears still to come, also blackberries. I got some cherries off my tree, but the birds had the rest so next year I must cover the tree. I'll post some pictures when I can. :-D
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Been really busy this last week. All brassicas are in and seemingly doing well. Onions are planted, leeks too. There is one big bed that needs weeding, so I'll do that tomorrow.