AnnieG's Veggie Patch 2014

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Re: AnnieG's Veggie Patch 2014

Post by AnnieG »

I've managed to dig the patch over but it's like dust. All that rain we had and it didn't get very wet at all. Deffo need that compost in there.
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

Big change of plan!
I've decided now to slab the area in the pics and plant in pots instead. That area might not look very big but for me it is and I know I'll be a bit overwhelmed by it all so...

I got a 120ltr bag of compost and collected up all my pots and today I'm going to plant veg seeds in pots outside. I'm not a gardener really so my idea is, the seeds have one of two choices... grow or not!! )t'

I can't think how to keep my 4 cats and 3 grand children away from the pots though. Any ideas? {rofwl}

I've got pallets coming next week so I can build a fence to go round the area being slabbed and put the pots there. That will keep the kids off but the cats...?! Oh well, here goes. wish me luck!
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

I've put some seeds in pots and to keep them out of harms way I've popped them into the unused chicken coop/run. It will surfice for now.

I realised I didn't have a watering can or a rose for the hose so I had to improvise. Upcycling at it's best...

The water comes out a bit fast but it works a treat. )t'
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

The change of planned worked out quite well. We're not gardeners or slab layers but I think we did a good enough job on the Little corner I was going to have as a garden. We slabbed it, not the right way but it looks good and I now have my own little area that the grandkids can't get to. The cats can and so can the chickens it they decide they want to but I'm happier than I was.

This is the area...
Remember I said I was going to plant veg in there?

This is it now...
Not a bad days work. My daughter's boyfriend did most of it but I did manage to put 8 slabs down with the help of my daughter.

I need some more pots and a few raised beds here and there.

I'm also going to have a go at the 'Square Foot Gardening' method too. Just for fun.
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

I decided to use the old chicken coop in to a planter for the peas.. It turned out quite well too. My arms ached like mad after and my thumb was killing me all night last night, but it was worth it.