my little plastic sanctuary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

my little plastic sanctuary

Post by Chookaholic »

Well i have a little growing diary : how exciting!

I am loving being in there and have ordered a few bits n bobs for in there. As well as veg and fruit i have sown flowers as my mum loves them and my daughter has her first home with a garden .

I have sown Beef tomatoes , Pumpkins, squash , runner beans, carrots, im still waiting on my strawberries ..i know ive sown more but cant remember for the life of me . In regards to flowers there sweetpeas, lobelia, petunia, sunflowers, and others

The veg i heard i should stagger sowing so i dont get them all at the same time so i will do some more in a couple of weeks or so
I need more shelving and i really need to not let my chooks in because their poop is indescribable in a sealed warm polytunnel sile}

looking forward to getting my plug plants and sowing more veg, fruit and herbs: i have been looking at potatoes and cant decide on a good variety . Do i get an early a main and a late? So i get taters over a period of time? Ive so much to learn but this is great fun i wish i had done it years ago! got some sweet potatoes and ive looked on yout*be to learn to chit them etc : thatll be done this weekend.....

I have some fine insect mesh (for bugs and chooks) and water drippers on the way ....

Life feels good and very )t' satisfying
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: my little plastic sanctuary

Post by lancashire lass »

)t' Sounding good. May I also recommend yellow sticky fly catchers for the polytunnel - not so noticeable now but when it gets warmer, you'll be wondering where the flies came in (if you've ever gone camping, you'll be familiar with how flies get inside the tent LOL)

Potatoes - for that fresh new potato taste, first and salad type second earlies are probably better. Main crop - to be honest, they'll take up a lot of valuable growing space and not much different from shop bought. As for staggering your potato harvest, there's no need - dig them all up when they are ready and put the rest to store (dark, cool, in sacking or cardboard box to breathe) First and second earlies don't keep as well as main crop but you might eek them out up to Christmas.

Good luck with your new gardening venture and diary >veg4<

EDIT: forgot to mention that when you lift your potatoes, you'll have space from about end of June/end July to plant something in its place such as leeks
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

thats great advice LL thankyou . Potatoes confused me so much: never thought id admit to that :oops:

Id never have thought of the tapes either )t'

Thanks for the good luck i feel like ive got a new lase of life :-D
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Chookaholic wrote:Id never have thought of the tapes either )t'

Actually I was thinking of these type (cheaper from e-bay) - you'll be amazed how many times you walk into those sticky things and there is a serious yuk factor when you feel your hair caught in one (full of dead flies) LOL

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YELLOW-STICKY-T ... B000NIDSLC
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

This is my first time at growing veg Chook, so we're both learning. Good luck. )t'
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

I love pottering in my poly tunnel )t'
[center][/center]Davina
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

I have sproutage! and not on my chin in my little propagators :-D Pumpkins, stocks, sweetpeas, squash are on the move ! ... )t'

I had THE biggest grin this morning EVER, My giant strawberry seeds came too (youngest Daughter picked them) they are the size of a small apple when grown so will go down very well. So strawbs are potted, watered fingers crossed

Got some sweet potatoes to "chit" and plant .. get me with the lingo! Still undecided as to which potatoes to do......

LL i dont fancy having them in my hair yike* I have my hair up all the time but ive seen those tapes with the bodies and ....blllleurgh sile} Im a midget too so if i hang it high and double it a bit i should be ok : thanks again youre always full of helpful information x