Carole's Diary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Carole
Lively Laner

Carole's Diary

Post by Carole »

Ok another year start's this is my first entry in my diary.The allotment is in good shape apart from the wet of course, i have 2 sheds and a polly tunnel 3m by 2 although it has only been up 2yrs it has more holes than a sieve,so another cover needed for this year.The cover first started to tear where the screw on the frame rubbed on it i tried covering the screw heads with double sided tape but didn't help any suggestions for when i replace cover.My cabbage and cauliflower look quite good considering the cold and wet and onions doing well, i shared my plants with my friend on next plot and her's not so good,the answer must lie in the soil lol. Sown my leeks and peppers they nice and warm indoors going to try sweetcorn this year research needed. Ordered my potatoes 3 types,Jazzy,Manitou and Carolus never grown them before so should be interesting,will put pic's of progress on once iv'e been tutored in my new phone {rofwl}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Carole's Diary

Post by KarenE »

I think I might join you in a diary this year Carole.

I've grown sweetcorn for the last couple of years, I suppose it depends where you are as they do need sun to ripen. I think most of the taste depends on the strain though - I had fantastic success the year before last with a variety Asda were doing in pots (I think it was called incredible?) but they didn't do them last year and the ones from Wilkies weren't as nice but I was late planting them out (you will see why if you keep reading this post!). They are easy to grow though - I grow mine in small pots, then grow on until they are ready to plant out once the frosts have passed. Plant them in blocks, as they fertilise easier that way. Ideally in a sheltered and sunny place. And don't let chickens near them! (my fatal mistake last year)
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

Hi KarenE, i did grow sweetcorn once but it was so long ago like 25yrs i can't remember.I do recall growing them in a block but that's it.Have you grown from seed or always young plants? I have discovered another bed on my plot that i think will be ideal it's the most sheltered spot there.I will be having chickens(but at home) so no problem,i'll just have to bring the corn to them {rofwl}
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)wav( hi Carole - hope you get good use out of your diary. I find it handy to look back on things I've posted such as the weather conditions, what I planted, what did well and what didn't, and of course at this time of year when glancing at photos, it can take you back to that moment in summer when it was warm and the plot was productive.

Carole wrote:i tried covering the screw heads with double sided tape but didn't help any suggestions for when i replace cover

Have you tried the Anti Hot Spot tape? (click on the link) Basically you cover your frame with the tape before putting the cover over and the cushioned tape protects the cover from wear and tear, especially when the sun heats the metal frame. I just put the first link up I found but you can get it from all sorts of other gardening sites including Amazon.

Carole wrote:Ordered my potatoes 3 types,Jazzy,Manitou and Carolus never grown them before

Never tried those either - you will have to let us know how you get on with them and what they are like )t'

Carole wrote:going to try sweetcorn this year research needed

The trick is warmth and don't sow too early either - once they start growing, you want to encourage growth rather than check it if you find they are getting too big before it's safe to plant out (they are not frost hardy, and if temperatures drop, sweetcorn will sulk and sometimes give up growing - I once started some off about mid-April in glorious warm spring sunshine and then put them outside to harden off ready to plant by mid-May. An occasional cold day was inevitable but I hadn't realised that day temperatures had dropped significantly and for a good week before bringing them back indoors. The damage done, they never recovered after that) The other check to growth can be the roots - once they start growing, avoid disturbing the roots too much when potting on or planting out. If weather conditions deteriorate before planting out, it's worth potting the seedlings into bigger pots so that the roots don't become pot bound as once the roots start to turn in, they don't fare too well when in need of water and nutrients when planted in the final bed. When planting out, sink the roots deeper than the original soil level and this encourages roots in the lower stem to grow and anchor the plants. They are also nitrogen hungry and need very fertile soil so dig in lots of compost/chicken manure, and also make sure they are never short of water especially during the growing stage but ease back when waiting for cobs to ripen. Finally, choose an (extra) early maturing variety to be sure of the cobs ripening before the weather turns cold and wet at the latter half of the season - a lot of the supersweet or sugar enhanced F1 varieties are suitable but I can recommend Lark F1 (yum yum) and Earlibird F1 did extraordinarily well during the very wet 2012 summer. It's important not to grow 2 different varieties close to each other as the pollen from one can affect the flavour of the other and lose its natural sweetness. Having saying all that, sweetcorn are generally very easy to grow LOL

Carole wrote:i shared my plants with my friend on next plot and her's not so good,the answer must lie in the soil lol.

Did you dig in chicken manure? My brassicas did very well last year (not that I had problems before) and I put it down to that. Also, another trick is to firm the soil round the roots when planting to prevent "rocking" in the wind.

Good luck with the gardening and hope this year works out well :-D
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

)wav( Hi Lancashire lass thank you for all the info i will get some tape for the new cover and hope i get more than 2yrs out of it.
The potatoes i mentioned were an offer from Thompson and Morgan i had 25 tubers and 5 pkt's mixed seeds for £9.99 no p&p so thought i'd give them a go they coming at end of month.
I used horse manure compost with the cabbage ect don't know if i was right or wrong but they all doing really well.
Your a fountain of knowledge any tip's on peas? for the life of me i can't grow them tried them in different locations but to no avail.I think the pigeons get more than i do despite netting.
I'll have a look in Wilko's see what sweetcorn they do, thank's for your help and good growing. >gl<
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

Yes, sweetcorn are dead easy to grow from seed. I usually plant 2 up in a medium sized container then seperate and pot on when they're bigger. As LL says try not to pot on too much, and I agree about sowing too early. I've never had success with early sown ones, I always end up having to resow but it never causes a problem unless the chickens get at them }hairout{

Peas - I find peas easy to grow, but less successful to pod. Again, sow 2 into a med container and pot out when they're sturdier. I don't find them prolific though (I've only tried experimental small batches) so you may need to grow a lot of plants and I think you need to successional sow if you want a continuing crop. French beans are much more reliable I've found, and great for constant cropping. Peas are lovely fresh out of the pod but I've found them to be more trouble than they're worth in the way of crop volume. Plus the slugs seem to really like them too and slug pellets are a no-no with the chooks until I know my chicken proof fending works (which it didn't last year)

There's not much LL doesn't know about gardening! )t'
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

Hi yes iv'e noticed she's a mine of info, i won't have the chicken problem going to have some in the spring but at home not on the allotment, so i'll have to bring the sweetcorn to them.I'm sure they'll be happy.
Don't like to wish time away but hurry up spring i'm itching to get planting do you put sweetcorn seeds on windowsill or in propagator?
I have fruit on allotment Blackberry,Cherry and Apple tree but no Rhubarb must add that to my list.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Well, depends what you've got - either will do as long as they get warm and light.

If you can find someone on the allotment that is splitting their rhubarb, that'll do the trick. You only need a little crown with a couple of buds on but don't pick it for 2 years, give it a chance to establish itself. In the allotments near where we are, many people have it growing in neglected corners of their plots as it is so easy to grow.

My parents had a cherry tree for years and never got a berry off it - the birds used to scoff the lot the MINUTE the berries ripened. Might be worth thinking about how you'd net it or maybe build a fruit cage.

If you're looking for fruit to grow, I can recommend red gooseberries - absolutely gorgeous, especially when mixed in a crumble with rhubarb or apple. Blueberries maybe in a pot as they like ericacious compost. And raspberries are unbelievably easy but may take over your entire plot.
Karen
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Carole wrote:do you put sweetcorn seeds on windowsill or in propagator?

I have to confess that I now follow Bill (from Norfolk)'s suggestion of "chitting" the seeds - like the pepper/chilli, you don't waste compost on seeds that fail to germinate and they also seem to germinate a lot faster. Use a tray such as what you buy mushrooms in from the supermarket, layer with damp paper towel, spread the seeds out (important hint - if they germinate quicker than expected, you are not then trying to tease the rootlets apart ... :oops: a lesson learned), then cover them with more damp paper towel. Place in a bag / put a lid on, and pop the tray into an airing cupboard or somewhere warm. Depending on the temperature, seeds can germinate within a couple of days. Then transfer and plant into pots of compost (as you know the seed has germinated, one seed per pot - I use the 5-6" size pots) Once the leaves come up, they will need warmth and good sunlight so a south facing windowsill will be fine and at that time of year, you may get away with putting them outside if the weather is very warm. Just remember to bring indoors at night when temperatures can drop.

Peas - I don't seem to have a problem with peas (touch wood) When I did the RHS pea trial, I followed their instructions to the letter as it had to be across the board for those participating, and as it worked so well I basically do it all the time now. They recommended sowing direct in the 3rd week in April (weather permitting of course - not much point sowing when the ground is frozen solid) The bed should be prepared and plenty of compost dug in prior to planting, with a scattering of Growmore raked in. Then make a flat shallow trench about 2 inches wide by about an inch deep. Place the seeds in a zig zag fashion about 2 inches apart (basically you are sowing 2 rows of peas in a single trench) Gently cover with the soil before watering in with a fine rose. As the slugs and snails are in full force then, I also put slug pellets down. The plants will climb so you need to provide something for their tendrils to grasp otherwise they grasp each other. Something like twiggy branches can be pushed into the row, but I go for the pea and bean netting (the one that has big squares rather than the diamond ones) tied to canes as then you can reach through the netting much easier - you can be guaranteed the ones that are ready for picking will be on the other side of the net.

Pea/Bean weevils are active then too but to be honest although the damage may look harsh (the leaves have scalloped bites out of them) the plants seem to recover - you could try a pesticide if you want but I've never bothered as friendly insects such as ladybirds are also out about then too and I like to encourage them on the plot to keep on top of the aphids etc. Pigeons and mice can be a problem too - sometimes netting the bed with something to keep them out might work until the plants get beyond seedling stage and then they are fine. If you have mice problem, I've read that soaking the peas in paraffin just prior to planting will stop them from eating the seeds. It's absolutely vital to never let the plants go short of water during the growing stage.

If you want fresh peas throughout the summer, sow a row every other week - as spring progresses into summer, you'll find some of the later sowings catch up with the earlier ones and you can end up with a glut especially during a mini heatwave. Always pick the pods regularly and this will encourage a second flush of flowers - thereafter, the plants die off. Personally I don't bother too much with peas now - too much hassle taking peas out of the pods for one - but I do like sugar snap and mangetout instead as they require very little preparation prior to cooking. Also, the risk of pea moth larvae is reduced too - the eggs are laid when the flower is out and as the peas develop, the larvae eat them whereas you pick the immature pods when growing mangetout. There is more information about it from the RHS website and how to avoid it.

As for variety - the early varieties such as Kelvedon Wonder, Feltham First and Hurst Greenshaft grow quickly and produce lovely sweet peas - I prefer the Hurst Greenshaft as you get more peas to a pod. The only downside to some of the early varieties is that they are "dwarf" type - another reason why I don't grow them now because it is back breaking when picking. There are some tall maincrop varieties (8 feet) such as Telephone and Champion of England - when providing the netting on tall canes, it is worth bracing the canes as the plants can be like a sail in a strong wind and knock them over.

Finally, if you do get a good crop of peas, let the second batch mature so that you can save seed. I find that when saving seeds, not only are you saving money but the plants that did well pass on their genes and in future generations, those are the ones that become unique to your plot. If you don't believe me, save some seed from the packet you buy and sow them in a couple of years and compare them with your own (2nd year) seed - your own will seem to grow bigger, better and more productive )t'
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

Thank you for all the info must take you ages to type,your very helpful. I grew sweet peas with the damp kitchen paper method they got roots so quickly but i didn't know you could do it with seeds as well.
My cherry tree on the plot was weighed down with blossom but like you a never saw a cherry,on the other hand the one in the garden had loads and i could leave them on the tree till they went lovely and dark,they made smashing crumble.I had a couple of gooseberry in the garden but they got some kind of disease like talcum powder to look at so i burnt them,think i'll get one or two more for the plot, i have rasberries at home but your right they take over if your not careful.
I'm glad i started this diary it will be useful to look back on as my memory is going )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We planted 3 cherries. The nicest is the Black Cherry - but we never get a taste of it. The white cherry is sometimes left by the birds, other years they take the lot, and I pick them as soon as they are reddish. The Morello is sharp, best for jam (OH likes it i don't much), but seems short lived, the second one is dieing (sp?).
Some years we get more gooseberry mildew than others, I just take away the bad fruit.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

Oh is that what the powder was and i got rid of the whole thing,mind you it was pretty covered,and ideas on getting rid of wooly aphid on my apple tree Mo? iv'e tried spraying it and even painted it with meths,my brothers idea but it didn't work pesky things were still there.Bet theyv'e been over wintering in the nooks of the bark and will be back this year.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My usual approach to pests is to look it up, found it on RHS, then ignore all the chemical remedies and just pick off the nasty bits. RHS says use a stiff brush.

Judging by RHS again, we did the right thing (rather late) in thinning out our overcrowded gooseberry bushes. Makes sense that there will be more mildew when the air can't flow.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Carole
Lively Laner

Post by Carole »

All good on the allotment onions, cabbage and coli doing well loads of strawberry plants removed i only started off with 6 plants now there are hundreds took them up and left in a box for the other lotty holders to help themselves, beds dug over so now ready for spring.
The delivery of the potatoes i ordered has been put back to the end of this month so no chitting here yet,can't wait for them to arrive.
The leeks i started of in the propagator came up like rows of soldiers but i think they were too warm.I put them on windowsill and they went leggy and keeled over so iv'e started again, when they appear should i put them in greenhouse? there's a paraffin heater in there so wouldn't be to cold, i probably should have done that in first place, thought's please.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes you could do as long as you've got light and heat, i think i'd be tempted to leave them indoors though as your greenhouse could chill if the heater goes out. I suffer from the same problem of early seedlings going leggy so I don't sow early now. I think I might start in march, my greenhouse is rather flimsy and doesn't hold heat very well {cry}
Karen