Karen's 2015 garden diary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Karen's 2015 garden diary

Post by Freeranger »

It sounds like harvest festival time, Karen - you seem to have done really well.
A lady I work with brought a big bag of courgettes and plums for everyone to share, so I wonder if it's been too hot for them where you are? They are quite hungry feeders, I'm told, so maybe all the rain had leached the soil a bit.
Can't wait to get my cold frames & greenhouse sorted for next year as I'd love to grow cucumbers again - one of the nicest of the 'home growns' I think.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

well very mixed times at the lotty lately. The raspberries continue to fruit like mad and after some googling, I've discovered you can freze the fruit without them turning to mush, so I now have a big tub full of lovely berries and I'll do more when I pick the rest.

On the terribly bad side though, something has gone through the entire allotment site and had everyone's sweetcorn. All bashed down and the ripe cobs eaten. The consensus seems to be - badgers, deer, foxes or rats. I do feel so sorry for one plot holder though, as their plot is sub divided and sweetcorn was their only crop! yike* I've had 3 crops of corn on the site now and that hasn't happened before, it is quite gutting. No tracks left behind either.

I have 4 now beautiful pumpkins, 2 of which are already ripening up nicely (surely a bit early?) plus a few butternuts coming along although nothing like as prolific as last year. The tomatoes at home are ripening and I've already made 2 sauce containers full. Cucumbers are absolutely mental and as well as my gorgeous chinese pickles, I've made some dill pickles for my brother and tonight might be raita night. I've got 2 lovely beetroot also to roast & pickle tonight, and 2 more in the ground still

The cabbages do seem to have sprung back to life, although the sprouts look gone (very early!) and the caulis are growing leaves again. Might leave them and see what happens.

Half of my onion crop is up, the others probably will be coming out over the next few weeks. The potatoes are harvested - not much there to be honest but they are just ones that sprouted at home so no big deal. The beans are probably coming to the end of their time too but I have a fair amount frozen and we have been eating them like mad too so it'll be good to have an excuse to have another vegetable!

Might pop some winter onions and garlic in
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Time to start putting the plot to bed, if it would ever dry out! All the beans are up, got a few more portions in the freezer. The cucumbers are up in the greenhouse with about 5 fruits in the fridge (they last for ages, so much longer than shop bought ones) and the tomatoes are nearly finishing - in fact some have gone mushy which is a pity. I do have several containers full of passata, so we have done well there

The raspberries are still fruiting! I can't believe how late they are going, for summer fruiting canes. Apple & raspberry cake or pie is on its way, as we are also getting loads of apples (cookers) as usual. I now have 3 gorgeous super sized pumpkins and 1 massive butternut squash curing in the greenhouse, safely out of the way of any marauding foxes or whatever at the lotty, and there are still 2 smaller pumpkins ripening on the plot. I'l pick them probably next week sometime. Bit disappointed I only got 1 squash in the end, off 2 plants as well.

Greens are still doing well - cabbages, sprouting broccoli which was picked this week and I blinked & missed the caulis (bit of a surprise as I wasn't expecting them to form curds this late!) so the chooks can have them when I can be bothered to pick them. I am still hoping for some sprouts for christmas.

Everything else is done and I've started weeding and diging over the plot. The soil is lovely but very heavy and I hate muddy boots!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

KarenE wrote:The cucumbers are up in the greenhouse with about 5 fruits in the fridge (they last for ages, so much longer than shop bought ones)

yes, I've noticed this too - it may have something to do with the variety and method of growth to produce high yields for the market whereas home grown tend to be grown more for flavour

KarenE wrote:Bit disappointed I only got 1 squash in the end, off 2 plants as well

I'm very disappointed with my squashes too and I grew over 20 plants (!) and as for the courgettes - well, 2 fruit out of 5 has been my worst year EVER
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My grandson is wondering about growing his own pumpkin on my patch next year. Is it hard? Do they have to be started indoors? And do they get eaten . I'm not so vigilant now for weeds and pests so only grow fruit + runner beans +spuds. Gave up peas and sprouts because of the pigeons and rabbits.

What you say about cucumbers seems to apply to pumpkins too. They bought one a couple of weeks ago but it has already fallen apart all mouldy. Started with round patches so they think it got bumped while people were rummaging in the box for the best one.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It always surprises me how people treat fruit as if they were tough - I sometimes give away apples and pears and wince when people tumble them into bags, with the kinds I say are 'easily bruised' at the bottom. Or see videos of people shaking apple trees to bring the crop down.
That may be part of the reason why shop cucumbers don't keep. They've been squeezed and bruised invisibly.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

We would have struggled with squashes here this year, I think. My belief - and I don't know if I'm right or not - is that they need warmth, which we just haven't had.
I always take the wrapper of bought cucumbers because I think it traps moisture inside and shortens their life, and line the salad box with kitchen towel.
Impressed with your little market garden.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Pumpkins are pretty easy Mo, they just need a large area to scramble over and a fairly nutrient rich soil - traditionally they grow well on top of compost heaps! A long hot summer helps with ripening and i usually start mine off in the greenhouse and plant them out once the risk of frosts has passed as they are quite sensitive when seedlings. You might just want to put some slug pellets down to protect them but on the whole they're not a pest attractor. Mine have ripened nicely this year so they don't need anything too amazing, weather wise. Your grandson will love growing one - you can get the massive varieties, or even ugly varieties, depending on what he wants to grow.

They are ok for eating but to be honest they're usually a bit watery. I usually scrape the flesh off, roast them in the oven with some oil and salt and then either eat them like that or make into soups, but you do need to add some quite punchy flavouring. Of course they can be used in pumpkin pie too which I haven't made. And they are quite popular as a filling for ravioli.

LL it has been such a disappointing year for courgettes, first time in ages I've grown one too!
Karen
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

KarenE wrote:Pumpkins are pretty easy Mo, thYour grandson will love growing one - you can get the massive varieties, or even ugly varieties, depending on what he wants to grow.

Thanks Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Harvested the last 2 small pumpkins from the lotty befroe anyone else could get up there and either nab them (human) or eat them (animal). Last year some allotment holders found their pumpkins smashed up in the road, so best to be safe especially after the corn incident!

Guess what? The raspberries are still fruiting!! Amazing. Surely they wil stop soon :-D

Everything else is pretty gone - there are still greens, and celery which I'll leave through the winter. If it ever stopped pouring down I would get up there and start weeding but it's just non stop mud and I'm afraid I'm a bit of a fair weather gardener. I can't stand muddy boots!
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The greenhouse window suffered during storm Dennis and has never been the same since - it won't stay in place, not sure why - so I've waited till the storms are done before I start sowing. So I'm a bit late, but I started this week and so far I have sowed:

- brassicas - cabbages, broccoli, kale, sprouts and cauli
- beans - green, yellow and borlotti
- sweetcorn
- pumpkins and butternut squashes
- yellow courgette, sweet peppers & cucumbers
- salads - little gem, romaine, lollo rosso and pak choi
- tomatoes - bloody butcher, roma and tumbling toms

Tomorrow I'll finish off with beetroot, peas, red onions, spring onions and watermelon. Dead cheap in the Aldi so worth a try!

It's looking unlikely that we'll be able to get to the shops for pre grown trays (esp if the garden centres start closing down) so growing your own might be even more important and particularly since we don't know what will be in the shops come summer and autumn - I read farmers are already worried about having enough labour to help with sowing, tending and harvesting fruit & veg crops (even before the coronavirus started)

I'm also worried about people stealing from the allotments and also people breaking in and nicking my chickens - hopefully that won't be a real problem but after seeing the way people are behaving I wouldn't put it past some people. That said, the village where I live is rallying round and forming a support group with food deliveries etc so I'm hoping my fears are unfounded.

I've got to get down to the lotty soon so i can start repairing the fruit cage gazebo (wrecked in the storms but repairable), prune the gooseberries before it's too late, and no doubt clear tons of weeds and nettles. I'm also planning to dig in some chicken manure soil (it's nicely broken down) ready for sowing in may ish time. The soil's far too wet to even think about it at the moment but if we get a stretch of dry weather maybe it'll be workable then.
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Today I've also been sowing some flower seeds - nasturtium, calendula, sunflowers, penstemon, asters and dahlias. Busy Lizzies and chinese lanterns. Also still to sow some trailing lobelia, viola and petunias. Hopefully they'll sprout okay and give us a nice display through summer and autumn

i also discovered that I don't have any red cherry tomatoe seeds - only yellow ones, and feeling as though I can't just nip out to get a packet in view of coronavirus threat and trying to be sensible, I've taken some seeds out of some shop bought cherry toms so we'll see what they turn out like.

I'm firmly believing that this time next week we'll be on full lockdown, having read about the totally irresponsible behaviour of some people in skegness and such places, so I'm starting to wonder whether we'll even be able to get down to the allotment. Hope so >fi< I think our garden may get more attention this year!
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I've been using my daily exercise outing to get down to the allotment over the last couple of weeks, and it's shaping up nicely although the longish spell of dry weather has already baked the surface of the soil into a hard crust, which is making it hard work to weed, especialy since the main weed now is couch grass. I just do a bit at a time, and it's not doing too bad, it's about 3/4s done. Hubby has been helping as well, and the gazebo is now repaired.

I've strimmed all the edges, pruned the gooseberry bushes and aquired a chair from a fellow plot holder who had one spare, so we're all set for up there. It's been lovely in the sun.

At home, I've got beans and peas up, lots of cabbages, broccoli - no sprouts, and lost the kale so have had to resow. I've also got tomatoes starting to come up, the pumpkins and squashes are doing well and the cucumbers are up too. No sign of peppers for some reason i can never seed them, even with fresh seed. I have 2 watermelons up, that should be an interesting experiement! Red onions are up, never grown onions from seeds apart from spring onions, and I suspect they will be for next year rather than this, but we'll see. Mixed set of bneetroot are up, and I have 2 spinach plants - i did have 4 bu they seem remarkably fragile and I've already lost 2.

Also got some flowers coming up too - asters, nasturtiums and calendulas. No sign of violas, petunias, bizzy lizzies, sunflowers or lobelia yet and I am hoping they do come up as I'll need them for my pots!

The garden is looking good, hubby has sprayed al the fencing, jetwashed all the paths and mowed the lawns, plus we took out a fair few rose runners. I think everyone with a garden wil do well out of lockdown, but I do feel for those who havent got one. Lockdown must be pretty tough.
Karen
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

)like(
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

That's all sounding pretty good, Karen.
I'm not sure what all the tings in my garden are yet, so having to wait for things to kind of announce themselves fully - it seems I have a lot of weeds! Couch grass I can sympathise with, but I see your couch grass and raise you a nettle (or several).
Next time there's a pandemic, please can we arrange for your OH to get locked down up here? He sounds very much more useful in a garden than mine!